PDA

View Full Version : Building up a thin cat

dinahsmum
23-04-2009, 08:57 AM
What is the best was to get muscle/condition back on a cat who has been starved?
I thought
- feed little and often throughout the day, being careful not to give so much that it causes tummy upset
- maybe kitten food

Any tips for either various foods or feeding regimes?

yola
23-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Not sure really. What you write makes sense, especially the kitten food as it's gentle on the stomach and has extra nutrients. What about some kind of supplements - vitamins, fish oil etc?

Kazz
23-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I would say sleep,good food (whatever it is ) little and often and sleep.
Chester is a young cat and although yes he's been off on a "away day" wandering.....he was fit and healthy before so he will be again.
His loss of weight is problably down to lack of regualr meals....so that weight should come back once his regular food supply starts. His muscle tone should lso come back just daily activities like playing with his brother/you and Dinah.

I would think sleep and regular small meals is the key for a fortnight then back to normal. You could add those cat conditioning tablets you get like Catzyme (dog version is Vetzyme) and if he will/does eat it a meal aweek of sardines/pilchards in oil.

Glad he is back.....amazing how cats and dogs live in the present isn't it...he is not thinking "ahhh home again" to him he is there so its normal.

Kazz
23-04-2009, 10:41 AM
As his front clawas are worn down it makes you wander if he was locked in somewhere doesn't it.....no injuries must mean not a car accident, I think he was locked in.

pookyandjo
23-04-2009, 10:46 AM
kitten food is good cause it has a high calorie content.. but if he has a good appetite then probably small meals more often.. i mean... he lost his condition over a period of a few weeks... he should put it back on gradually without too much effort just by eating his normal food..
Hills also have a convalescence food for underwieght cats... im sure that some of the other brands will have one as well.. they might be worth a look at

angieh
23-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Agree with everything as above. I can't stop smiling at the thought of Chester being home with you again. He will regain his condition - you've got everything it takes to make him "your" lovely Chester again. Regular updates would help too!

dandysmom
23-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree also, little and often for meals. If he's not lactose intolerant and likes it, a small saucer of cream????

PoshPuss
23-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm sure you can indulge him in a few kitty treats, but yep I agree with some others who said, little and often. His stomach will have shrunk so don't overload. Maybe a good protein diet? it's recommended for muscle build up in humans, sorry not expert in feline anatomy but it may be a positive. Also exercise to strengthen those weakened legs a little.

calismum
23-04-2009, 07:25 PM
As all above.

If he likes cheese that will help too as a little treat. If he is ok with milk I'd give him 'carnation' as it will add flesh to his bones (tip from greyhound rescue lady).

A good convalesence diet once or twice a day too.

I'd imagine he will come back quite quickly as he was fit and healthy before he went walkabout.

I have a similar book as this below for dogs, used it when Fern was very poorly after all her chemo. It was good physio for her.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_shiatsu.020for.020cat s_gl_book?keywords=shiatsu%20for%20cats&tag=lpo%5Fixdpamusukenshiatsu.020for.020catsgl%5Fb ook-21&index=blended

But most of all - hugs and love which I'm sure you have piles of.

Leesy
23-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I agree with what everbody else has said especially his food little but often I think is the best way and the convalescence food sounds like a good idea as it should help to really build him up.
Great that he is back home;) .

Kim
23-04-2009, 09:28 PM
When we rescued Poppy (our greyhound baby) she was extremely thin as she had been starved. We gave her several small meals a day and fed her Hills sensitive, I am sure you could get some sort of 'build up' food at the vets or on-line, even if it is just for a few days.

Sorry, I had missed the fantastic news that Chester has returned - that is brilliant! I am so pleased for you.

smudgley
23-04-2009, 10:36 PM
If he was very thin (I know he is very thin to me & you as we know him as our little man, but he's not very thin as in painfully thin/neglect type starving thin)... so if he was very thin, I would say gently does it on his tummy, little and often, bland to start then increasing to better quality food and then onto higher protein food.

However as he is a healthy adult male, who has been on an adventure and lost condition through poor nutritient, he shouldn't need to be going right back to little and often and gently does it..... I would be giving him, a premium quality dry food, something that is high in protien (good protein) and plenty of it (as opposed to little and often) if he will eat it (without gorging on it) I would have it in plenty supply. Something like RC baby cat or Purina pro plan kitten. Get plenty of that into him and in 3 weeks you will see his condition coming back. By 5/6 weeks he'll be shining like a bramley apple & will have good muscle tone again.

I'm just so glad he is home :cool:

It's true what Kazz says, he was a strong healthy young man & he will be again, he just needs building up.

dinahsmum
24-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Prawns are going down well! I'm not sure how ultra-nutritious they are but he's certainly enjoying being hand fed these treats

Donna
24-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Prawns are going down well! I'm not sure how ultra-nutritious they are but he's certainly enjoying being hand fed these treats

I bet he is!! ;)

angieh
24-04-2009, 01:50 PM
What a lucky boy!

Kazz
24-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Okay forget Chester... I will be straight down if you are hand feeding prawns I will take mine cooked though, for goodness sake woman you'll spoil him and Bentley I hope is getting his fair share of the prawns....:-D too as well as Dinah....;) .......I do wonder though is he was locked in somewhere due to his worn front nails what did the vet say? any clues or information.

dandysmom
24-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I'll be joining Kazz if prawns are on the menu, although I'd be happy to serve myself!

random
24-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I would mix in oily fish, chicken, chicken skins in with his food and eggs are good too for building up if he likes them, scrambled perhaps? How does he eat his meals? Does he eat it all at once or pick at at through the day? All mine have food down all day and by the time the evening comes and it's finished I just top it up, they don't tend to eat it all at once unless its wet food or something special like fish. If he eats all at once then i'd put him on 3 meals a day for now but if he picks then just let him pick at it all day. He will be right again in no time. x