PDA

View Full Version : Possibly more arrivals.

farthing
21-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Following on from Smudgley's thread about cat rescues becoming more busy, many of our small animal and general rescues are suffering the same fate.
We may be taking in 5 pet sheep, who were left at a house when it was sold. The new owners don't want to be bothered with them, or the cost of vaccines, worming, shearing etc, and if they can't find a home will have them PTS.
I will phone tomorrow to arrange collection,our goats are due their second bluetongue vaccine at the end of the week, so I would like to get these sheep done at the same time.

There may also be a 14 year old, hyperthyroid cat looking for a home. Her owners are moving abroad, and aga`in if a home can't be found she will be PTS. We won't jump in and offer, if she finds a home somewhere else fine, otherwise
' cat number 10' is on her way.

Moli
21-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Bless you Farthing for taking them in....so sad when they are just left like that...

smudgley
21-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh isn't it terrible.

Bless you for helping these little creatures.

smudgley
21-04-2009, 11:33 PM
SPOOKY Moli, we said the same thing at around the same time. :D

angieh
21-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Isn't there a law against the wilful abandonment of sheep? IMO there should be a law against leaving any animal behind in a state that is likely to cause distress or suffering, but surely there are laws to protect "productive" animals such as sheep, cows, goats and pigs???

alexgirl73
21-04-2009, 11:37 PM
poor creatures :( I do love sheep, I would love a couple of my own if I had a smallholding. Hope you get them sorted ok farthing.

smudgley
21-04-2009, 11:41 PM
poor creatures :( I do love sheep, I would love a couple of my own Hope you get them sorted ok farthing.

That's settled then.

Transport needed to move sheep from Scotland to Telford... Can anyone help please? :-D

alexgirl73
21-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Hmm, selective editing Smudgley :mrgreen:

smudgley
22-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Hmm, great editing Smudgley you wonderful person :mrgreen:

I don't know what you mean

dandysmom
22-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Maybe you could ship them to the White House! During WW I President Wilson had sheep to mow the lawn; now that the Obamas are there and very green (they have planted a vegetable garden!), perhaps sheep instead of a polluting gas mower...??? :D

Seriously, bless you for helping, farthing, you are an angel ......

farthing
22-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks everybody, your making me blush.:oops:
We're only doing somethingb we love.
Anyway, the sheep will be collected on Friday, there are 3 wethers (castrated males) and 2 females, they are quite big apparently, but then folk haven't seen our Elsie and Doris!:D

It also looks like we have a male guinea pig coming on Sunday, somebody who can't cope anymore and at a later date 3 bonded rabbits, one with 3 legs.
I'd better catch up on my sleep now, because summer looks like it will be busy!

farthing
24-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Here are photos of the new sheep, we have identified 2 of the boys, we will be trimming their feet tomorrow so will find out who number 3 is then, its not obvious because they have been castrated.:D

These are the 2 definate boys, we've named them, Issac(left) and Noggin ( right)
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/030.jpg

sheep-3
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/028.jpg

sheep-4
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/027.jpg

sheep-5
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/029.jpg

calismum
24-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Lovely sheep - so glad there are folks like you in the world.

People just make you so angry when they treat animals as some form of disposible plaything.

angieh
24-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Not knowing much about sheep farthing, can I ask - are they OK health-wise? They look fine, apart from their feet as you say you are going to do those.

random
24-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Aww bless I do like sheep, I really need to move to a farm!

alexgirl73
24-04-2009, 10:07 PM
look at those lovely faces :D

farthing
25-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Not knowing much about sheep farthing, can I ask - are they OK health-wise? They look fine, apart from their feet as you say you are going to do those.

Just a quick update as its been a busy day, will fill you in later.

They sheep are not in very good condition. The vet had a look at them today and thinks they are starting to develop pneumonia, so they have all had an injection. We can worm them tomorrow, but must hold off doing their feet and vaccinations til next week.
Noggin is quite poorly and very thin, in fact they are all quite thin. They do however now have names ( we think we have sexed thm, but didn't want to stress them out too much)
So meet, Issac and Noggin,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/030.jpg

Zog,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/028.jpg

April,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/027.jpg

and Ester,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/sheep/029.jpg

angieh
25-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I am very sorry to hear they are not generally well farthing. Shows how looks are deceptive with our woolly friends. Hope they start on the road to recovery soon.

farthing
26-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Noggin seems very sore and stiff this morning, we are not sure if he has arthritis or it is just that his feet need trimming. He is not strong enough to push his way into the feeding trough, which may explain why he is so thin. We are going to have to risk putting him through the stress of trimming his feet, even though it is against the vet's advice. Then if he is still sore I will ask for a metacam injection, to see if it helps, it will confirm whether he has pain somewhere. One good point, he was chewing cudd this morning which implies his stomach is at least working.
April is still breathing quite heavily, but the others semm more settled today.
I get so frustrated, these were supposed to be pets, and they seem to be in a worse state of neglect than livestock. The owners lived in a huge house, with 4 cars outside and yet couldn't afford to get the vet out to look at them!

angieh
26-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Is there no way those neglectful owners can be prosecuted? They should at the very least not be allowed to have any more animals. That makes my blood boil.

farthing
28-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately, because they have been removed from the premises there is nothing the SSPCA can do, even if we reported them. We had the same situation with Jack and Poppy, 2 goats, Jack was so thin the vet couldn't find any muscle to give an intramusclar injection. He reported Jack's condition, but because we had removed him, they could do nothing as they cannot prove the animal was ever there.
Initially, I just thought the people decided they didn't want the sheep, but the actual state they are in, is neglect. I'm sorry but if you say you will take on the responsibility of an animal you are then obliged to look after it, books and the internet are easily accessable!
What really worries me is the neighbours took on 2 goats and a pig, I hope they are more caring about their welfare.

farthing
06-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Just a quick update on the sheep, then off to bed.
They are doing well and now know what hay and coarse mix are, their feet are still a problem and are very sore.

We have discovered that the 'new owners' have actually had the sheep for 4 years, and in all that time, have obviously never bothered to find out how to look after them, and in fact were quite willing to have them PTS.

I will never understand people!

calismum
07-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Glad to hear they are eating. Hopefully their feet will be ok after some of your tlc!

I think people take on sheep thinking they are easy care, nothing could be less true. We have one ewe who refuses to eat any hard feed or hay at all, and every year she teaches her lambs to do the same!!!

Hope they continue to do well for you.