PDA

View Full Version : Igloo type cat beds

angieh
19-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Although Kizzy is getting less jumpy, she is a girl who obviously likes to feel enclosed/secure and is still hiding behind the two door filing cabinet in the office for most of the day really. This space is basically 7.5 inches x 18 inches (19 x 47 cm approx). I can look in on her and she does seem quite happy, if a bit constricted! I wondered if she would take to one of those igloo type cat beds. Does anyone use them, or have any views about them???

We've tried the cat snoozer-type bed that I bought for Merlin that he never used and she seems defeated by getting into it.

Elaine
19-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I use all kinds of beds, my cats like their comforts especially Bernie, he has to try out each new bed first.
I have a duffle/igloo type cat bed and they both love it. I wouldnt recoment it though as it's not as sturdy as it appears to be and tends to colapse on them. Other than that most igloo beds are good.

dinahsmum
19-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Bentley likes his igloo bed. It's a 'stuffed fabric' one.
I used to have a basketware one and I thought that was a very nice cat bed, with a cosy cushion or blankie in it.

dandysmom
19-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I bought a nice wicker igloo bed for Sultan, neither he nor any of his successors would use it ......

While you're deciding, why not give her a BOX!? With a nice soft cushion or towel in it. Leia often sleeps in a box.

angieh
19-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I think a box sounds like a very good idea ............ Kizzy would love it!

(She is still trouser trumpeting btw!)

Donna
19-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I was thinking of a box with a circle cut in the front so she can jump in and out, and you could line it with some vetbed or similar fabric to make it all cozy!

angieh
19-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes, that sounds just right Donna - I'll keep my eyes open for a suitable box next time I go to the supermarket!

calismum
19-04-2009, 06:59 PM
None of my cats have used an igloo bed despite liking to go in and under other things.

I agree a box would do the trick - most of mine liked that, except Alfie, who will defend his radiator bed to the death!!!!

cats' staff
19-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Tolly slept in a cat bed for a short time but generally my lot ignore them and sleep on beds, sofas, piles of clean laundry, filing trays etc. I think a box is a great idea.

dandysmom
19-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Leia asked me to send this message to Kizzy!

This is the kind of box I like, it's as if I have my own very personal cave to hide in all snug. We get a lot of boxes here as mom orders many things on line that come in boxes, and I get to inspect them and help open them! But she hasn't put a cushion in them for me, I think she should! I'm sure you will be very happy in your new home; I met your mum at the virtual tea party she held last year and she is a lovely person. Best regards, HRH Princess Leia

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Leia%20-%20boxes/DSCN0530.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Leia%20-%20boxes/DSCN0530.jpg

pookyandjo
20-04-2009, 02:59 AM
We had an igloo for George... and he loved it... until he got too big to get in it... mind you it didn't stop him trying... and getting stuck... and then us hearing him crying cause he couldn't get any further into it!.. we used a box.. which was good until he decided that it was fun to tear it ti shreds... and then we cam up with the idea of a more robust box... you can get pliable plastic boxes.. from shops that sell storage items...we got a document box.. it came flat packed... we put it together.. and then cut a round hole in it...and lined it and then added a cushion.. and he loves it still... but Harry has taken an interest in it so i think i will have to make another one for her so there are no arguments.
I have to agree with Cats Staff too about sitting on on the clean washing... (never the dirty stuff... isn't that strange) and both George and Tinky when he was here used to always sit in the suitcases when i would get them out to pack for a trip...

angieh
20-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Kizzy sends her compliments to the very gracious Princess Leia and thanks her sincerely for sending such a lovely picture of herself and her special box. Kizzy is sure her new mum will look out for just such a box for her soon and looks forward to being happy in her own little cave, maybe with a blanket or a cushion.

(Kizzy was a little overwhelmed when I told her she had a message from HRH and hopes she has been polite. I said I thought she had!!! :D )

Kizzy also thanks everyone else for their comments and lovely stories!

dandysmom
20-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Kizzy sends her compliments to the very gracious Princess Leia and thanks her sincerely for sending such a lovely picture of herself and her special box. Kizzy is sure her new mum will look out for just such a box for her soon and looks forward to being happy in her own little cave, maybe with a blanket or a cushion.

(Kizzy was a little overwhelmed when I told her she had a message from HRH and hopes she has been polite. I said I thought she had!!! :D )

Kizzy also thanks everyone else for their comments and lovely stories!

:-D Leia is always gracious (nobesse oblige, you know) and was pleased to greet and welcome her overseas cousin! She would always be delighted to hear from Kizzy, and wishes her joy of her forthcoming private cave!

dandysmom
20-04-2009, 04:09 PM
We had an igloo for George... and he loved it... until he got too big to get in it... mind you it didn't stop him trying... and getting stuck... and then us hearing him crying cause he couldn't get any further into it!.. we used a box.. which was good until he decided that it was fun to tear it ti shreds... and then we cam up with the idea of a more robust box... you can get pliable plastic boxes.. from shops that sell storage items...we got a document box.. it came flat packed... we put it together.. and then cut a round hole in it...and lined it and then added a cushion.. and he loves it still... but Harry has taken an interest in it so i think i will have to make another one for her so there are no arguments.
I have to agree with Cats Staff too about sitting on on the clean washing... (never the dirty stuff... isn't that strange) and both George and Tinky when he was here used to always sit in the suitcases when i would get them out to pack for a trip...

Why is that, I wonder? All of mine have done it :-D

cats' staff
20-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Why is that, I wonder? All of mine have done it :-D

Perhaps becaue it needs to smell of them? Or maybe it is a variant of s*ds law, or a law that Newton forgot to mention-
cat with muddy paws+clean laundry= irresistable attraction!

dandysmom
20-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Perhaps becaue it needs to smell of them? Or maybe it is a variant of s*ds law, or a law that Newton forgot to mention-
cat with muddy paws+clean laundry= irresistable attraction!

:smt005 It seems to be an innate feline trait; or maybe mum cat passes all this sort of information to the kits when they are little: like boxes and bags are meant to be sat in, always give your mice to your humans, try to sit on the paper/book your two-legs is trying to read, etc ........