PDA

View Full Version : Stray cat

John
17-04-2009, 06:26 PM
for a long time now probably several years a cat has been creeping into my house thro the cat flap and eating Millies left,overs .a couple of months ago we caught him eating Millies food he took no notice of us, I open two extra packets of whiskas and he scoffed them, he was starving.. He is very friendly and now stays most days and nights..the trouble is he is a Tom and he still has all his bits. so I am at a bit of a quandry..do I take him to a cat rescue..or do I take him to my vets and pay to have his " bits " removed..and keep him..at the moment his hormones are working and he is a bit of a handful. he is not what I would call a pretty cat..so cannot make my mind up..what would you do. ?????? the trouble is I am not one hundred percent sure he is a stray..

john

calismum
17-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Would he let you put a collar with a barrel on? If so why not do that and put a 'do you own this cat' message. If after a few days there is no response then it is likely he is a stray.

After that it has to be up to you. Do you want another cat? How does he get on with Millie?

Either way he would need to be castrated if he is going to be a house cat.

Don't envy your decision, I'm such a softy I'd have Noah's ark if I wasn't kept in the reality zone by my OH.

Good Luck

dinahsmum
17-04-2009, 06:57 PM
You could take his pic and make a few posters, put them on lampposts etc.
Say you believe the cat is a stray; that it appears to need veterinary attention and a home and that unless someone contacts you, you intend to take it in, as from whatever date?
That may be cat-napping; I don't know.
I suspect if you contact Cats Protection they will offer you advice you can trust and may even neuter him and return him to you.
Good luck and well done for trying to help even the less attractive of our feline friends!!

cats' staff
17-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Some years ago I had a similar situation whilst a poor student. The CP suggested the collar with a note for two weeks (I think-this ws 20 years ago so can't remember exactly). There was no response so they agreed to cover the cost of neutering him if I agreed to give him a home which I did. He was not a beautiful boy (he'd been in a few fights!) and the name Manky just stuck...... He stayed with me for a while but was later adopted by a friend who had no cats as he became a bit agressive towards one of the others at times. He was a huge, slightly battered, VERY soft boy with humans and female cats but I think the late neutering left him with some agressive tendencies towards other male cats- even castrated males. Sorry- long message to say that I think most charities ask you to do the collar and note thing for a set time to be sure that it is a stray.

smudgley
17-04-2009, 07:49 PM
that's what happens when you have a cat flap! (Can you tell I don't like cat flaps)

I'm sure CP would pay to have him neutered for you if you wanted to keep him.

dandysmom
17-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Can't add to the sensible advice given above. Another reason not to have a cat flap, IMO .....

yola
17-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I was there too in 2002 with my old Ferdy. I tried the collar thing, but was fairly certain he was a stray anyway. Had him done and the old boy turned into the laziest, loveliest lap cat ever. My 2 persians were OK with him so he - FIV that he was - joined our furry family until fate took him a couple of years later. Nobody came looking, and to be honest if they had I would have had a strong case of feline neglect against them anyway.

PoshPuss
18-04-2009, 08:37 AM
I never thought of trying the collar and barrel thing when Posh turned up here. I do feel guilty some times when I think that someone may be missing her but we did try several avenues before claiming her as our own ( posters, ringing around vets , CP phoneline, RSPCA etc.) Although I couldn't have fed her and turned her out into the cold again after she waltzed into the house.

Strays do tug at my heartstrings, I'd feed them all :). Hope the young scruff will find a good home with you John.

angieh
18-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Bless you for caring for him John. I'd report that you have him to CP/RSPCA and, if you are sure that you want to keep him, ask that they help you to have him neutered in due course. You don't want him causing any strife for Millie though.

John
18-04-2009, 10:31 AM
thank you all for your advice..at this moment he has been fed and is asleep in my chair. yes I think I will keep him and if Maggs is reading this thread perhaps she can advise me were the local CP is

smudgley
18-04-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.cats.org.uk/contact/findcp.asp

Mags
18-04-2009, 11:51 AM
thank you all for your advice..at this moment he has been fed and is asleep in my chair. yes I think I will keep him and if Maggs is reading this thread perhaps she can advise me were the local CP is

Here you are John .......

http://www.cats.org.uk/contact/findcp_stage3.asp?item=77&Submit.x=14&Submit.y=12&Submit=submit&region=1

Well done to you for offering to give this boy a home, sounds like he has already made up his mind about having you for his owner ;)

Good luck and please let us now how you get on with CP ......:)

dandysmom
18-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Good luck, John.he does sound as if he likes living with you!

John
18-04-2009, 08:17 PM
update....I have phones the local CP. and spoke to a very nice lady and they have offered a £20 voucher to have him done..they also told me the cheapest Vets to take him..SO next week Tommy . thats what we call him. your going to loose your bits . and hopefully he will settle down a little..
and once again thank you all for your advice..

angieh
18-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Well done John. I wish you and Tommy a happy future. Hope Millie enjoys having him around once he's "settled". He does certainly sound as if he's chosen you to live with. That's a huge honour IMO.

dandysmom
18-04-2009, 09:43 PM
What good news, John! Do let us how he's doing after the op. Can you post some pics of him and Millie?

yola
18-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Thank you John for caring enough about this fella to get him done and to give him a home. Bless you.

calismum
18-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Pleased to hear this John, sounds as if he's landed squarely on all 4 paws!

smudgley
18-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Well done John. :cool:

PoshPuss
19-04-2009, 09:42 AM
John, You'll never regret it! He claimed YOU, that's true affection :D. Tommy, sorry about ya bits, but thats life;)

Elaine
19-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Tommy, life will be alot less stressfull and more relaxed once those pom poms are gone;)
All the best to you all xxx

janey83
19-04-2009, 10:21 AM
So glad he's got a good home now.

Mags
19-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Well done John, glad CP were able to help you, Tommy will forgive you once he knows he'll have his very own home with you now!:D

pookyandjo
21-04-2009, 12:21 PM
catching this thread late... what a lucky boy Tommy is...not having to worry about where his next meal is coming from.... a warm and cosy place to sleep.... and a cleaning routine that will take ever so slightly less time to finish ;)

John
30-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Well CP sent the voucher to the Vets. made arrangments with the Vet.for Tommy to loose his bits. And Tommy did not turn up..he must have got wind of the dirty deed lolo:lol: .have now made arrangments to take him next wednesday the Vet said they will keep him in overnight and the following night after he has been done..and pick him up on the Friday morning just hope he appreciates all the trouble hes putting me through..:-D

dandysmom
30-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh dear. he must have read your mind! Better luck this time, John!

Leesy
30-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Just caught up with this thread, what a lucky kitty Tommy is, hope all goes well at the vets on Wednesday, would love to see some pics of them both :D

angieh
30-04-2009, 05:38 PM
It's spooky how cats seem to know what's being planned, even if it's for their welfare in the long term. I do hope Tommy hasn't done a runner.

boating bengal
30-04-2009, 08:05 PM
g:) good luck with tommy!

Kim
30-04-2009, 08:21 PM
How kind you are John Well done for taking him in, he sound a lovely chap. Glad you have a neutering voucher, tbh, even if someone does own him, you are doing them a Ivour as it is very unwise to have an unneutered Tom roaming the streets!

it is amazing how they seem to know what's planned. More than once I have had to cancel a vet appointment as the cat has gone awol!

Mags
30-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Fingers crossed for Wednesday John...... looks like you've got yourself a mind reader there!:lol:

John
01-05-2009, 11:21 PM
strange ..but they definetly seem to know what you have planed for them..since he missed his appointment he has been here all the time..:-D ..just hope he does not miss the next one..

Mags
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
strange ..but they definetly seem to know what you have planed for them..since he missed his appointment he has been here all the time..:-D ..just hope he does not miss the next one..
When the day comes be well prepared in advance!! ;):lol:

Moli
01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Just caught up with this thread, Bless you John for giving this boy a loving home...

Mags
06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Did Tommy turn up today John?

If so, did you manage to take him to the vet ok?

http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif

John
06-05-2009, 05:53 PM
WWeeeellllll !!!!!!!! the day has arrived . the appointment with the Vets between 5.30 and 6 oclock and NO Tommy ..he went out this morning and has not returned./.I am here wiating . if he does not turn up soon I will give up on him..this is the second Vets appointment he has failed to turn up ..he has been here every day. but not today...I feed him !! I groom him !! I even let him lye on my feet. ..

Rant over..John:-D

yola
06-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh don't give up on him John!! I had this several times over with my old FIV boy, Ferdy. Eventually I nabbed him and he turned into the biggest lap cat ever :D
Hang on in there . . .

Mags
06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh dear, it sounds like you have one very crafty cat there!:roll::lol:

I'm sure the vet fully understands that this sort of thing happens all too frequently.

Please give him another chance John....... maybe have a word with the vet and see if they will let you bring him in anytime on the said appointment day, that way you can keep him indoors in the morning (just make sure he has a litter tray;)).

John
06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi yola..when the scruffy little sod turns up he will be around my legs I will smooth him give him a cuddel, feed him then he will go on the towel on the settee and go asleep..but i am a little worred bcause he is usually here by now..john

John
06-05-2009, 07:03 PM
its 7 oclock.the vets is closed and he turns up starving..he went straight to the food and is eating with no cares in the world..if i dont put no more food down perhaps i can take him to the vets first thing in the morning

dandysmom
06-05-2009, 07:34 PM
He must read minds! Hope you can get him seen tomorrow, do let us know......

yola
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
its 7 oclock.the vets is closed and he turns up starving..he went straight to the food and is eating with no cares in the world..if i dont put no more food down perhaps i can take him to the vets first thing in the morning

I would keep him in. OK, it may mean you get a sleepless night because he'll be yowling to be let out but at least he'll be where you want him!!

Then you can nip him in the carrier (easier said than done if old Ferdy was anything to go by); and get him to the vet. Mine were very accommodating when I turned up with him unscheduled. They normally have some leeway in their schedule for emergencies so you should hopefully be OK.

Leesy
06-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Awwwww bless him the little sweetheart you have to give Tommy 10 out of 10 for effort at trying to aviod going to the vets for the big deed;) , I just hope that they will let you take him in tomorrow now that you have him in.
Good luck;)

pookyandjo
07-05-2009, 01:08 PM
any chance of a picture of Tommy? he sounds a real character!

dandysmom
07-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I second that!!

angieh
07-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Thirded! ..........

John
07-05-2009, 05:48 PM
wweeelllll..got up early this morning expecting Tommy to be in my chair..no tommy..so thought I would phone the vets later. 11 am phone caLL from the vets. I explained that Tom had not turned up and would make further arrangments..put the phone down and the scruffy little s.d walked thro the door. so I phoned the vets straight back.and after a discussion we decided that I could take him strait there..they would keep him there and do the " dirty deed ;)" tomorrow. keep him in friday night and I would collect him saturday morning ..I cannot praise my vets enough for all the hassle and trouble one little scruffy black and white cat have put them through...

Mags
07-05-2009, 05:53 PM
:smt041:smt041:smt041 .....at last!!!! :lol:

Tommy certainly made you work hard at getting him to the vet, John:lol:

Well done, I'm sure he will settle nicely into your home when he returns...

John
07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
:smt041:smt041:smt041 .....at last!!!! :lol:

Tommy certainly made you work hard at getting him to the vet, John:lol:

Well done, I'm sure he will settle nicely into your home when he returns...

He had better settle in or else..:-D still a nice bit of grub and he should be ok..

Mags
07-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Does Millie get on with him ok?

Leesy
07-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Yipeeeeeee, that is excellant news so glad that you finaly managed to get him there at last.;)

angieh
07-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Hoooooray!

dandysmom
07-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Great news, John!

calismum
07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Really pleased to hear that John.

jan
07-05-2009, 11:01 PM
;) Oh I love a happy ending like this! What a smashing cat he sounds, proper man turning up late and sauntering in without a care in the world. Hope everything goes well at the vets and keep us all updated! Jx

pookyandjo
08-05-2009, 06:58 AM
[QUOTE=John;554529] 11 am phone caLL from the vets. I explained that Tom had not turned up and would make further arrangments..put the phone down and the scruffy little s.d walked thro the door. QUOTE]

Apart from an ability he may have reading minds.... it would seem that he also has a listening device planted in the house:shock:

Leesy
08-05-2009, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=John;554529] 11 am phone caLL from the vets. I explained that Tom had not turned up and would make further arrangments..put the phone down and the scruffy little s.d walked thro the door. QUOTE]

Apart from an ability he may have reading minds.... it would seem that he also has a listening device planted in the house:shock:

LOL:lol: Do you think they are capabale Jo because I do I can just imagine them when we are in bed at night thinking to themselves " right the suckers are in bed lets get started" and doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things:shock: :lol:

dinahsmum
08-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Oh well done John!
I'm sure the love you will get from him through the years will more than make up for the recent aggravation.

angieh
08-05-2009, 09:57 AM

It's as I have always suspected - it's down to those whiskers!

Samz5
08-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm sure all the trouble will be worth it.
I myself have a big black and white cat who walked in the cat flap 3 years ago a scruffy skinny stray all beaten up and un neutered, - at the time it was a lot of hassle but we wouldn't be without him now, we love him very much.

John
09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
WWWeeeeeelllll... the dirty deed is done ..I collected him from the vets this morning.he did not look very well . perhaps a little frightened..on the way home he " peed " in the cat carrier I let him out of the carrier into the car..which now smells of cats.:shock:.he got his own back on me.. I took him into the house and made a fuss of him,Millie went up to him and smack him around the head just like a mum with a naughty boy .so funny. he had some food and wanted to go out.I made him stay in a while before he went out. he came back about half hour later had more grub and went out again..will update more as time progresses...:D

pookyandjo
09-05-2009, 02:58 PM
yeahhhhhhhhh..glad he's home.. too bad he peed in the carrier whislt it was in the car...he's probably having a grin to himself about that one!.given that he's had a feed.. gone out and come back and then had another feed and gone out again.. it would seem that he certainly knows where his bread is buttered!

dinahsmum
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm sure he'll soon be back to normal - except over the next few weeks he will lose the urge to roam so much and become more cuddly.
Sorry about your car - it's not a nice smell. I've heard that powdered nutmeg is really good at absorbing nasty niffs. Treat yourself to a tub from the spice section of the supermarket, sprinkle it on and leave it overnight then vaccuum away. Also bicarbonate of soda, as we were discussing a couple of days ago. Sprinkle it and leave and vaccuum, as with nutmeg. You could add a drop or two of lavender oil or tea tree oil and shake it through the tub first, if you like.

dandysmom
09-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Millie probably smacked him because he smelled strange to her....the dreaded vet smell! That's very common when a cat comes back from the vet. Glad to hear he's eating well; hope DM's advice will get rid of the aroma!

Leesy
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Sooooo pleased to hear that the deed is done and has gone well, sorry to hear about the little accident in the car though hope the smell clears soon :D

John
11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
had a freind in the car he said whats that smell..I said its a new air freshener..but I did not like it so I threw it away !!!!!!!!!!!:-D ..

dandysmom
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt023

Leesy
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
had a freind in the car he said whats that smell..I said its a new air freshener..but I did not like it so I threw it away !!!!!!!!!!!:-D ..

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 that is sooooooooo funny but soooooo wicked.

angieh
11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Have you tried the nutmeg yet John?

John
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Have you tried the nutmeg yet John?

No not yet. I have only been shopping at my local Lidls.but couldn.t see any..still its nice weather and an excuse to keep the windows open :-D

John
21-05-2009, 02:54 PM
just an update to say I have just had a MOT on the car.it passed even though it still has this sort of " perfumary" smell :-D
Tom cat missed his checkup at the vets he had gone walkabout..he wants to go out at night and come back in about 11am have somthing to eat and go to sleep.for the rest of the day. I thought he may have stayed in more since he lost his bits, but I suppose he is more of an outdoor type of cat...I noticed today his eyes were a little watery in the corners will have to keep an eye on this ..pun intended..

yola
21-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Hopefully he'll settle soon John. He may, of course always be a bit of a roamer but it's less likely with his tackle removed.

Keep an eye on the eyes . . . do you think it might be hayfever, or the feline equivalent?

dandysmom
21-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Hopefully he'll settle soon John. He may, of course always be a bit of a roamer but it's less likely with his tackle removed.

Keep an eye on the eyes . . . do you think it might be hayfever, or the feline equivalent?

A definite possibility; Dandy got a spell of sneezing, wheezing and being off his food for a few days every Spring and Autumn as regularly as clockwork for all his life.

And it will take a while for all of those hormones to get out of his system!

John
22-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Tom does seem to have bouts of sneezing. I never gave it a thought that it may be hayfever..and he does seem to be of his food a bit..he went out about an hour ago, walking up the road yowling like he used to do when he had his bits, his lady friends are going to be so disapointed, and he is going to be so embarrised when he cant do the job:-D..

pookyandjo
22-05-2009, 02:20 PM
lol too funny... has he noticed that they are gone?
As for the sneezing...has he ever had shots??... one of the things with cat flu is if a cat had it bad enough when they were younger it can come back when the body is in recovery mode... ķe.. after surgery or during other sickness.. even if they are up to date with immunisations... .. or it could quite possibly be enviromental

dandysmom
22-05-2009, 03:56 PM
John, we'd love to see pics of your boy!!

jan
23-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Hope all s well with Tom now? Glad the car passed its MOT regardless lol - and hope this sunny weather continues so you can blow that darned smell away through the open windows! Its a wonder its not making YOUR eyes water. Jx

John
24-05-2009, 11:06 PM
sorry I cannot post pictures..I have a new pc and downlowded Mcafee anti virus i must have done somthing wrong because it will not accept my camera..I am hoping a friend will come and sort it out for me..I am not very good with pc.s ..I shouldnt think Tommy has had any flue or other injections .when I see the vet next I will see what he says..but as he is a stray and he is a few years old I probably wont bother..he is staying in the house a lot longer so hopefully he is starting to settle down..

Elaine
25-05-2009, 01:26 PM
sorry I cannot post pictures..I have a new pc and downlowded Mcafee anti virus i must have done somthing wrong because it will not accept my camera..I am hoping a friend will come and sort it out for me..I am not very good with pc.s ..I shouldnt think Tommy has had any flue or other injections .when I see the vet next I will see what he says..but as he is a stray and he is a few years old I probably wont bother..he is staying in the house a lot longer so hopefully he is starting to settle down..

Might be an idea to reconsider and have his injections done, especially as he is a stray.
As he loses all the build up of hormones, due to being entire, he will become more homely and settled.
Well done for looking after dear Tommy xxx

dandysmom
25-05-2009, 04:08 PM
What a shame that your computer won't accept the camera. I hope your friend will get it sorted for you! Meanwhile, keep the "word pictures" of Tom's doings coming!

pcspik
29-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I am going back to the original topic here- though I am glad the cat has a new home and you have him neutered.

Ours Cats Protection have these thick paper collars for strays, which someone writes their name and a phone number down onto the section provided. This is fastened onto the neck (there is a sticky section) and the cat is left to wander. If someone has a stray cat, they may want to try that (it does not necessarily have to be a Cats Protection one, anyone can make one out of a thick piece of paper and stick it together with some sellotape). The whole point of it being that if it does have an owner, then they will read it, and contact the person concerned.

Of course, being made out of paper there is a chance that it will get caught and get ripped off (a branch for example) but if that does not happen, at least you know it is a true stray. That way (depending on your personal circumstances) you can either keep it or take it to your local animal charity.

John
01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
A little update on Tommy..when he first came here he was dirty and grubby. so after a few days I got the " Furminator" out and started grooming him he was a little unsure . but this evening when I sat on the floor with the " Furminator " in hand called his name and he ran to me layed down for me to groom him . he has just gone out and passed the window . head up tail up and a nice shinney coat ..
A little question..how is everyone getting on with there Furminaters. my two love it..

dandysmom
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
I love mine, John; have had it for over a year and wouldn't be without it. Leia loves it also: every night before bed I call her and she comes running ( well, strolling!) for her nightly grooming session!

John
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
yes..I think we all bought them about the sametime,,my two loved being groomed wiith it..
on another note Millie has not been eating very well latly. she is nearly 14yrs and suffers Hyperthyroidism.,she is getting rather thin..and I am begining to wonder if she is near the end..she do.s not go very far and i am always feeding her , she licks the gravy/jelly have a couple of mouthfuls and leaves the rest..........

angieh
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Millie John. Keep an eye out in case she starts to get breathless. I guess that Millie has meds for her hyperthyroidism. I am sad to say that my Smudge had it too but I had no idea she was so ill. The first symptom I noticed was her breathlessness. She was approx. 19 years old.

John
02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi angieh....yes she has been on tablets for a couple of years now..after all this time I think I am starting to get the hang of giving a cat a tablet . ;) if anything happens I will certainly miss her..

dandysmom
02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Has she been in for a checkup recently, John? Maybe her dosage needs to be adjusted. Well done you on the pilling, I cannot do it!!

angieh
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I think I'd get her checked over John as dandysmom suggests above. Hopefully, she'll just need some adjustment to her medication.

John
03-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Yes ..I think a checkup at the vets is called for..will have to be first thing next week, as I am involved in this election ..

on another worrying note I have caught Tommy my stray cat attacking Millie, 3rd time I caught him was tonight. he could also be doing it when I am not here..perhaps this may be the problem...question what do I do now..I love Millie dearly.. so if Tommy has to go !!!!!!!!!!! unless someone can offer some advice ..

yola
03-06-2009, 10:21 PM
John - it might be just some settling in and heriarchy developing (i.e. - determining who's boss). My Balie who'd always been alpha cat has had to give way to younger and stronger males over the years. It HAS changed his personality - he's become a bit more withdrawn than usual, but that is (as far as I'm concerned) just the dynamic of a multi-cat household. He's not bullied or unhappy; just a bit more introspective than usual.

Give Millie and Tommy time. And if possible give them their own space; each with a peice of you in it in terms of one-to-one time, items with your/each others scent and their own food/toiletting facilities.

dandysmom
03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I can't improve on Yola's excellent advice. Give it a little time.