PDA

View Full Version : Cat flaps??!!

hlb296
17-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi there,
in a couple of weeks, we'll be venturing into the "outside"!!! so I need to get a cat flap.... or do I?

what are people's thoughts on cat flaps and would anyone recommend a type as there seem to be millions!

cheers as ever

Helen

:lol:

calismum
17-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I have never used one - all my cats demand to get out and then appear at whichever window of the room we were in to be let back in again.

Friend has on in her kitchen window which is one of the magnetic ones, but the cat lost its collar and was left out all night once. She has replaced it and had no other probs.

However, if you have an open to all flap then you may also get visitors.

John
17-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I have always had one and have found it very usfull.but I do get visitors..

smudgley
17-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Each to their own.... but I hate them. :shock:

cats' staff
17-04-2009, 10:29 PM
We've always had them as we've always had cats that go outside (in the day). We had to pay quite a lot to update one that you can programme for a specific radio controlled key on the collar to ensure that a local bully couldn't get in but as our lot are out without supervision I need to know that they can get in whenever they want to! Being able to exclude other animals is important and home is their safe retreat as a result. We did have a magnetic one but so did the bully cat- with the same flamin' magnet!

angieh
17-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Another topic that interests me for Kizzy's future!

Does anyone have any knowledge of the microchip operated flaps????

pinklizzy
17-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Another topic that interests me for Kizzy's future!

Does anyone have any knowledge of the microchip operated flaps????

A couple of our clients have them Angie, as well as one of the nurses. She has found it to work very well, although it might be necessary to check that it is compatible with the type of chip the cat has (although I'm sure that won't be a problem for Kizzy as it tends to only affect the older chips)

smudgley
17-04-2009, 11:18 PM
A couple of our clients have them Angie, as well as one of the nurses. She has found it to work very well, although it might be necessary to check that it is compatible with the type of chip the cat has (although I'm sure that won't be a problem for Kizzy as it tends to only affect the older chips)

Kizzy is microchipped with an identichip microchip - they manufacture the microchip cat flaps - so no problem with reading her chip :cool:

angieh
18-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for letting me know that Smudgley! That's a real possibility then.

janey83
18-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Never had one but my brother has got one, he does find other peoples cats in his house lol... Also a friend has got a magnetic one and the cat came back with loads of metal things attached to its collar lol.

Kazz
18-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a cat flap but the home front was always secured from invaders by the dogs so Oscar could roam far and wide and know home was safe.....at least thats what I imagined him thinking....:) Cleo never thought that as she never left home base.

dinahsmum
18-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I think the microchip operated flaps sound great. They need a power source of course (just a plug in a socket) and I think they have a battery back-up so puss isn't stranded if there's a power cut. You can chose various settings, such as total freedom or dawn/dusk operation etc etc.
It's nice that no collar/dangler is necessary and that it is personalised to your puss(es) only

cats' staff
18-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Also a friend has got a magnetic one and the cat came back with loads of metal things attached to its collar lol.

Teaspoons were a favourite for a while as OH would put his empty yoghurt pot/ ice cream bowl down on the floor with the spoon in. 'No Mum we haven't been licking out the empy bowl I don't know where this teaspoon came from!'

dandysmom
18-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Teaspoons were a favourite for a while as OH would put his empty yoghurt pot/ ice cream bowl down on the floor with the spoon in. 'No Mum we haven't been licking out the empy bowl I don't know where this teaspoon came from!'

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

janey83
18-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Lol, bless. Think my friends cat had a folk attached to the collar at one point lol.