PDA

View Full Version : Darcy & Stravinsky

meep
17-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been away from the boards for a while as things have been pretty stressful. My partner and I (we live together) are moving out and splitting up. It all happened quite suddenly, and relatively amiably, but was still very stressful. I lost my appetite, lost weight and was feeling very low but am starting to get back on track.

In my search to find a new flat (either alone or flat sharing) it was nigh on impossible to find somewhere in budget that allowed pets.

As such, Darcy and Stravinsky have been taken back by the Cat Protection League. They were taken last night. It broke my heart to see them taken away, both OH and I were very upset. Darcy hid under the bed as soon as the lady arrived, which is completely out of character as he's such a friendly wee thing. I managed to coax him out eventually and he looked at me with such trusting eyes and let me pick him up and hold him but wasn't purring and then went into the carrier without a fight, still trusting me. I felt like such a betrayer to then give them to the lady to take to their foster home. Stravinsky was a bit more akward, and hissed a wee bit but was quiet when he was in his box.

I didn't make this decision lightly and am devastated I've had to give them up. But I know the CP will find the right home for them; the lady mentioned a potential home in a quiet suburban area with outdoor access which made me smile as I think Stravinsky would be an excellent hunter and they both enjoy watching and prrping at the birds outside the windows. They'll be happier with outdoor access I think.

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble. I just wanted to update everyone. Please don't think badly that I've had to give them up; I did take them on with the intention of giving them a forever home, and never thought this would happen.

It was so quiet this morning, and the flat felt very empty. I do miss them but am happy to know they'll soon find their real forever home.

I hope everyone, and their feline furry friends, are well. Please give them all a hug, kiss and chin tickle for me.

yola
17-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I suspected there might have been something up with the relationship - not sure why, maybe more of what you didn't say than what you did (if you know what I mean :? ). I'm so very sorry about that. It's always very traumatic and disruptive however amicable the split.

But I'm equally sorry to hear that you had to give up your beloved twosome. I think I would find that almost as hard to deal with as the relationship break up. I'm made me quite tearful reading your account of their leaving :cry:

I'm sure they'll have a lovely future home - and I hope that you'll stick around with us even though sadly, Darcy and Stravinsky are no longer with you.

Lots of love and hugs.

janey83
17-04-2009, 11:03 AM
That also brought trears to my eyes.
They will love being able to go outside and explore.

meep
17-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you Yola and Janey. Reading my post over it seems quite cold, not very gushing. I'm just trying to remain composed and positive; everyone has their own grieving process and mine always seems to be quite passive, pensive and musing.

Yola, there were a few problems in the relationship for quite some time. But I don't regret having lived together. It's just I suddenly realised how young I am (as an adult) at 23 and how much of life I have stretched out in front of me and I didn't want to be settled yet. We still get on as friends and have great respect for each other. We consoled each other last night over the boys being taken away. But I am looking forward to being young, single and independent.

I just can't shake off the image in my mind of Darcy's wide-eyed look when he was slowly edging out from under the bed and meeping at my for comfort, and he allowed me to pick him up. Since the day we had them, they never once hissed, scratched or bit us. They were truly two of the most beautiful, handsome, friendly and amusing cats I've ever met. I felt so lucky to have had them, if only for a short while. I do love them so.

alexgirl73
17-04-2009, 11:19 AM
((hugs)) so sorry for all that's happened meep. You take care of yourself and I bet your babies will be found wonderful new homes xx

calismum
17-04-2009, 11:20 AM
meep - I am so sorry to read this. It is good that you are both able to remain friends and be there for each other over the loss of your special boys.

Hope life becomes what you are looking for and I wish you all you wish for yourself.

Don't be a stranger to us here at catsey.

meep
17-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks alexgirl and calismum. I am comforted by the thought that they'll find a forever home soon. I just hope someone helps Stravinsky come out of his shell like we did. When we first got them we were told he was shy and never affectionate; he was at first but then 2 months in he slowly began to trust him and eventually was on our laps, yowling every time I disappeared into the bathroom for a shower and following us around with his ball in his mouth.

I'll definately still pop onto Catsey to keep in touch. I've really been so scattered the past few weeks; sorry if I've missed any news or big events. I see Angie has a new Kizzy kitty? Her photo made me smile :)

Mags
17-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry to read that things haven't worked out for you Meep.:(

Also sorry that you have to give up your two lovely boys ........ Cat's Protection will do their best to find the right home for them.

Please continue to pop onto Catsey to let us know how you are getting on...:)

angieh
17-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your troubles meep. I knew something must be wrong. I have to be honest and say I am sorrier about you having to give Darcy and Minsky up - I will always remember those lovely boys and the funny stories youu told about them. I am sure that CP will find them a good home and you are right, they will probably love to be allowed outside. I am glad about all those lovely photos you have posted of the brothers and the fact that I have some on my screensaver.

Yes, I do have a new cat - Kizzy. I felt bereft after Merlin went. Kizzy is a little girl that came from Smudgley's branch of CP. We went up to Birmingham last Sunday to collect her. She is a complete darling.

Please don't forget that we are here - I for one would really like to hear from you when you feel able. I do hope you find somewhere good to live and enjoy your new life - onwards and upwards!

dinahsmum
17-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I can only echo what angie has posted straight above here meep.
I'm really sorry about the anguish of the break up but, although I understand that you will be hurting a lot about the lovely cats, I think you have done just the right thing for them.
Take care of yourself; be good to yourself and come back and chat to us won't you? We miss your lovely long chatty posts ... and the book club is slowly sinking in the west!
Take care x

Elaine
17-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh Meep, I am so very sorry to hear your news. How could we think badly of you, we know only too well how difficult it is to find pet friendly accomodation.
So sad indeed all round, but you all need to look forward now and not back.
All my love and best wishes xxx

meep
17-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words; both about my relationship, and my boys.

Angie, I'm so happy to hear you have Kizzy cat and hope she's settling in well :) It's so nice to hear you have a few of the boys' photos on your screensaver, I've got so many to look through myself and smile over. May even post a few more videos up if I get the chance.

DM, I do agree that I feel as if I've done the right thing. Keeping them alone, trying to find a flat that would take them, would only create more stress and I would probably not have enough time or money to give them the affection and quality of life they deserve.

Elaine, thanks for your kind words; I was worried that people would see me as immature for taking on the boys and only having them for a year. Like I said, it wasn't planned that it would work out this way.

The CP lady said she could send photos of them once they'd settled into their new home which I'll be really pleased to see. Part of me regrets not being there when they get to go outside for the first time but I know they'll be having the time of their lives.

I'll definately be back on Catsey, but am currently still going through a lot with moving out and the whole relationship situation. I hope everyone is well though and sorry for neglecting you all!

OH DM I just read a minute ago that Chester is back :) That really brightened my day, I am really so happy for you!

Elaine
17-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Not at all meep, none of us know what awaits just around the corner and it was always very clear just how much you love those boys. You take care and dont be a stranger. I am sure the boys will love their new home and I wish them both well xxx.

dandysmom
17-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm so so sorry, I know you're devastated at losing the boys; unfortunately you're in a situation that really left you no other choice. You gave them a wonderful life while they were with you, they couldn't have asked for a better mum!! Please do come on to chat when you can, you know you have friends here who would miss you if you didn't. Please take care of yourself, (((hugs)))

yola
17-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Just a thought (I've been meaning to post it all day but haven't had time), have you considered making notes about the boys' likes and dislikes; about their personalities and how you feel they would best be introduced to new things . . . just so their new owners would have something to work with? I presume they will be rehomed together . . . ?

meep
20-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Just a wee update: the boys have been rehomed to a family with children in the suburbs so they'll have outdoor access in 6 - 8 weeks if they want it. I'm sure they're going to be really happy. The love being surrounded by people, so a family will suit them down to their whiskers and paws, and I can imagine Stravinsky especially being a master hunter.

It does feel strange not to have them but I really am happy to hear they've found a new home so soon.

Eileen, thanks for your message. I will be back on Catsey as I do feel I've made some wonderful friends here, brought together but not solely based on our feline friends! And Yola, good thinking and great minds think alike. I had already written a long list to give to the CP Lady when she came to get them of their individual likes and dislikes. I also gave her the few unopened bags of treats I'd bought them so hopefully the new owners are making them very happy with those.

angieh
20-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I am so pleased to hear that Darcy and Stravinsky have both been rehomed together so quickly. I am sure they will be the perfect pets for a nice family and with outdoor access too. ((((HUGS))))

yola
20-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Great news! I'm delighted there's off together and also that their new home sounds so perfect for them. It must be a huge weight off your mind to know it's all worked out so well and so quickly.

meep
20-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Absolutely, I knew the CP would home them together as when we took them on it specifically said "must be homed as a pair with..." I've never seen them with kids but as long as they aren't too rough, they'll be really friendly I'm sure. Darcy will be in seventh heaven if he's picked up and petted all day long.

Thanks again for your messages everyone, it really means a lot.

dandysmom
20-04-2009, 04:16 PM
It does seem as if the boys have found an excellent home, that must help you a lot knowing that they'll get the love and attention they're used to. Thanks for the update, and do keep in tough, Meep!

Elaine
20-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Am so pleased they have a new home and so soon too. Excellent news and all the very best to them. xxx

calismum
20-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Really pleased to here this meep. I'm sure the family will be delighted they have such lovely boys.

dinahsmum
21-04-2009, 02:03 PM
That sounds just great.

I think sometimes that our cats love their home and their comforts far more than they love us. They're pretty self-centred creatures and that's part of the reason we find them attractive; we admire their independence.
Can you imagine a cat doing a Greyfriars Bobby? No - they'd be off looking for their next meal ticket!

So meep - you've no need to feel sorry for the boys, just gently mourn their moving on but be happy for the time you spent together and look forward to moving on yourself.