PDA

View Full Version : New Koko problem

smokytopaz
15-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Honestly I am beginning to wonder why I got her. Still v v nervous, still untouchable but otherwise plays like a kitten and eats well.

OK new problem. If I leave my bedroom door open in the morning, she jumps on the bed and pees. Three times I have stripped the bed and washed everything and this is tedious.

I shut the door - about four or five days in a row and she can't get in. This morning I forgot and she nips in and pees. Of course after the event there is little I can say or do to the cat - but I need to know why and how to stop it, so please I need more of your sensible advice.:cry:

niki71uk
15-04-2009, 11:35 AM
she maybe marking her territory,,

the dog used to do it if i left the living room door open at nite,but now at nite i make sure i close it,no more pee

hope it gets better

smokytopaz
15-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Maybe, I just read Celia Haddons page on the net and she says one reason they pee where it smells strongly of you, is love. Now considering her inability to get stroked, or come too near maybe thats it.:roll:

She does get closer and closer and doesn't always run a mile at any movement.

Ok shut the door, and?

niki71uk
15-04-2009, 12:07 PM
hopefully it will stop

mibbee give her something old of urs to lie on

my dog doesnt leave me presents anymore

my cat ive had since she was 6wks old she's now just over 1 yrs old,only comes near me when SHE wants attention,at nite i have to find something for her to chase to get her out the living room,as she wont just let me pick her up,she's not very sociable,as i live alone so dont see many people,i guess wot im saying is,i know its hard but i think u just need to accept her as she is.

yola
15-04-2009, 12:09 PM
You're sounding - quite understandbly - stressed and annoyed with all this. Do you think this might be rubbing off on Koko?

I have had bouts of inappropriate peeing from one of my cats - he still does it given half a chance but I've learnt to lay tin foil over the places where he pees and 99.9 times out of a hundred he stops.

Also - and I know you can't do this ON your bed, but maybe another litter tray placed very near to where the peeing is taking place might help to clarify for poor Koko where exactly is an OK place to widdle.

Hang on in there - a bit of patience will hopefully see you through this.

Mags
15-04-2009, 12:28 PM
How old is Koko now? I think it may now be time to try to get her used to her carrier so you can get her checked out at the vet to make sure she doesn't have any urinary tract infection which can sometimes makes cats wee on soft places for comfort.

Another thought, it may be time to have her spayed as this can counteract territorial behaviour such as marking etc. :?

No matter how many times you wash the bedding, a cat can still pick up the scent of where it has been, their sense of smell is a lot stronger than ours.
There's a product you could try called Nature's Miracle..... it has natural enzymes in it that get rid of odour, this may deter her from using your bed again.

I hope things improve soon, good luck!

pookyandjo
15-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Have you tried Feliway spray...it has a few uses.. one of which is to prevent and stop urine spraying in cats.. it also acts as a calming agent in cats that are anxious. I haven't had to use it for urine problems but i have had some sucess with it as a calming agent...
here is website for it.. (hope it's allowed to put on here??)
I haven't used the diffuser but i have used the spray..(and still do.. it lasts ages) as i decided that it would be more versatile
http://www.feliway.com/gb

good luck

smokytopaz
15-04-2009, 12:33 PM
No she was quite happily boucing around me and following me - so the fact I had to change the bed again - well so I didn't shout at her - or really react, there is little point as she would not know why.

She has two litter trays both of which she happily uses, enthusiastically showering all around with white litter. Even the lidded one has escaped litter round it...... well thats what a hoover is for.

As she seems to pee as soon as I have gone to make a cuppa, almost when the bed is still warm it seems purposful. Oh the door is open all night and she comes in and onto the bed whenever whe likes, doesn't pee when I am there!

Elaine
15-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Poor you and poor Koko, you both have my sympathies. House soiling is a very frustrating issue. This may be worth a read in order to try to resolve the issue.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/Housesoiling.html
I would also say, as Mags has, have her checked by a vet, always best to rule out any medical issues before assuming it's behavioural.
All the very best to you both xxx

dandysmom
15-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I can't improve on any of the excellent advice above; meanwhile, remember to CLOSE THE DOOR!! Poor Koko poor you...(((hugs)))

smokytopaz
15-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I've been thinking about it all day. I don't think it is a medical problem, as she is as bright as a button in all other ways and using her litter tray.

I think she needs spayed. She is eight months old, had two seasons so far and will prob start another in about ten days.

So - the carry basket is in the living room, feli sprayed, with a cushion is it, some treats hidden and a fav mouse toy.

I still think though I will have to trap her in a towel to get her in and to the vet, but it will have to be done. I'll get her jabs done too........

She will - I hope - settle down after all that. It might be Christmas before she trusts me again tho!!

In the meantime, shut the door!:cool:

Elaine
15-04-2009, 07:02 PM
All the very best for her op' xxx

yola
15-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Ah yes - I never thought to ask if she's had the 'op'. That will probably account for a lot of the trouble you're experiencing.

Please let us know how you get on!

Leesy
15-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Hope you get the problem sorted out soon, can`t add to any of the advice you have had already as it is all very good advice.

smokytopaz
15-04-2009, 09:01 PM
I think they read minds, she has been hiding all evening under the sofa........... sorry Koko, gotta be done!

I wish there were words they would understand, a way to truly communicate that you mean no harm.

smokytopaz
16-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Okay, decision made. I went to the vet and made her appointment - she goes tomorrow morning. Had long chat with vet nurse, she advised gardening gloves and to be as fast as possible. If it all fails and I can't get her in basket, they said just to call and let them know. They also said if all else fails they could send an experienced handler round! They deal with feral cats so would be able to deal with her.

So all doors and escape routes closed off early am, towel and gardening gloves - poor wee mite, but those teeth are new and sharp!:shock:

So about Christmas she will be friends again.

Mags
16-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Do you have a friend or neighbour who would be willing to help with getting Koko into the carrier? It would be a lot easier for you if you had someone there who could quickly close the door of the carrier once you had got her inside.

Good luck tomorrow anyway ........ is it a spay she is booked in for?

angieh
16-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I do wish you the best of good luck with getting Koko to the vet tomorrow. Do let us know how it goes!

smokytopaz
16-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the good wishes - yes it is a spay - this will I hope calm her down and stop her peeing in my bed. It will certainly stop her screaming at me! While she is there she will get chipped and checked.

At the moment she is popping in and out of the carrier - not that that will help in the morning!

calismum
16-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Good luck tomorrow - I know her popping in and out the carrier just now won't help get her in the carrier but at least she'll be less stressed once in it.

I do hope this will help resolve some of the problems she has.

dandysmom
16-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Don't know if this will be of any use, but if you have no one to help you get her in the carrier, this worked for Sultan, who was large, strong and determined not to be put in the carrier. I upended it and put him in it face down and quickly latched the door and set it upright. Previously when I put him in it face up he grabbed the edges and vaulted out and could not be caught the rest of the day! Worked for me.

Good luck! Awaiting the story of how it went......

smokytopaz
16-04-2009, 09:27 PM
She is rushing around now.. quite funny!! No dinner! :shock: No biscuits! :shock: I think I may close my bedroom door tonight, otherwise no sleep for me!

smokytopaz
16-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey Dandysmom! Same plan here! Stand it on end, face first in, slam door and then when all is latched say aw! sorry baby! Boy is she gonna hate me in the morning! :-P

smokytopaz
16-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Its so good, you all understand!

dandysmom
16-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey Dandysmom! Same plan here! Stand it on end, face first in, slam door and then when all is latched say aw! sorry baby! Boy is she gonna hate me in the morning! :-P

Great minds, ST! Sultan was 12 pounds, all muscle and with the Aby stubbornness ... only way I could get him in it. Good luck, hope Koko will be so glad to get back home she'll overlook your treachery!

And no more calling!! :D

smokytopaz
16-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Oooooooooo yes!! No more calling!:lol: As she has a tendancy to whisper quiet walk up behind me, then let go with all her might, such a lot of noise from such a little cat!

smokytopaz
17-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Well here it is, early Friday morning and Koko was tricked into her basket, ie I threw in fav toy she rushed in to rescue it, I slammed door and for a few moments there was a tussle while I tried to remember how to lock it, did it wrong door fell off, finally suceeded with her screaming swear words at me. Phew. She is now at the vets. Hurrah! No more seasons! No more calling!

She sat as quiet as a mouse while the vet checked her heart and tummy - typical! I pick her up later today, and maybe she will forgive me next year!

Mags
17-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Wow...... pleased to hear you managed to get Koko into her carrier relatively easy!:-D Be warned, it won't be so easy the next time as she will know what to associate the carrier with now!!! ;):lol:

I'm sure all will go well and she will forgive you in no time...:lol:

Looking forward to your report when you have her back home again....:D

angieh
17-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Good news! Hope all goes well and she comes home a "new" cat.

dandysmom
17-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Wow, glad you got her in it without a terrible tussle! Awaiting word of how she is!!

Leesy
17-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Sooo pleased that everything went well with getting Koko to the vets, hope that she isn`t to upset with you when you get her home;)

smokytopaz
17-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Koko is home - shaved and feeling a little sorry for herself. But surprisingly not much. She wanted food placed where it normally was, then only tasted rather than full scale munch.

She doesn't seem to have an aversion to me or leaping about. they said keep her quiet, um. how? No collar, which surprised me but they said bring her back in 5 days for a check. yea right.

Oh I had a phone call after they had begun to say she was in early pregnancy - I did point out that was impossible, and in the end of course they were wrong, Anyway early days, see how she goes. Me and Mum feel quite sorry for her.

calismum
17-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Koko is home - shaved and feeling a little sorry for herself. But surprisingly not much. She wanted food placed where it normally was, then only tasted rather than full scale munch.

She doesn't seem to have an aversion to me or leaping about. they said keep her quiet, um. how? No collar, which surprised me but they said bring her back in 5 days for a check. yea right.

Oh I had a phone call after they had begun to say she was in early pregnancy - I did point out that was impossible, and in the end of course they were wrong, Anyway early days, see how she goes. Me and Mum feel quite sorry for her.

Poor baby - I'm sure she'll be better tomorrow.

dinahsmum
17-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I hope all goes well with her recuperation.
I've only ever had 2 females spayed and neither had a collar

dandysmom
17-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm happy she's home and not too upset. Misty didn't have a collar when spayed, nor Leia. Hope she's eating better tomorrow, and how in the world are you going to keep her inactive???

cats' staff
17-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I think a taste of food is a good sign, humans don't eat much after a GA and the fact that she wanted anything is good. Keeping a cat inactive is always a good one-I thought vets were supposed to understand animals!
Well done for geting her there- I'm sure she will forget and forgive soon and will probably start to calm down- you have done a great job with her and been soooooo patient!

smokytopaz
18-04-2009, 09:39 PM
First day after her op, she's eaten, used her litter tray and slept a lot, more than normal. When she is awake she is very wary.

I think if there are no probs after four days, I may give the vet a miss. I mean no signs of distress etc etc because I think we would only cause more upset by trying to force her into a basket again at this point. She has no stitches because I requested tissue glue.

One of my siamese girls long ago took out all her own stitches, no problem but I thought I might avoid that. I think it upset me more than her. :shock: That was Tia - also a brown havana.

Am I wrong?

calismum
18-04-2009, 09:42 PM
My vet is generally happy to leave it up to me if I should return post op or not.

As long as there's no swelling, discharge or redness, I'd say it'd be safe enough.

Why not call the vet on day four and discuss?

smokytopaz
18-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Uh huh, the wound is flat and clean today, no redness. If is continues this way I think I'll do just that, she is fine if as I said warier than she had been.

I had her chipped at the same time.

Hopefully this means I will never need to use it!

dandysmom
18-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Considering her temperament, if the wound seems to be healing nicely and she's in apparently good health, I'd skip the followup visit too. I'd discuss it with the vet, rather imagine he/she would agree considering what a stressy cat she is. Glad to hear she's eating and toileting OK; the wariness is, unfortunately, what we suspected....

I'd normally say give her a cuddle from me, in this case, please give her an eye-blink instead!!

angieh
18-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Glad she is eating etc and the wound is healing well. I'd give the follow up a miss too if the wound still looks clean.

smokytopaz
26-04-2009, 09:53 PM
This is prob my last post on this thread, Koko is well and much quieter. She - despite the glued edges - found some threads in her wound which she delights in pulling, but as they are supposed to be dissolvable I have ignored as the area seems clean and flat, no redness.

She was very quiet for a few days and only today, a week later, does her bounce seem to have come back. She will not let me within five feet -certainly still untouchable. But somehow not so jittery.

The weather has been gorgeous, and I have been out in my very small, very protected garden planting up pots and baskets and Koko has been a great help (:roll: ) not. She loves being out with me chasing those buzzy things and ducking when those big birds swoop - we get a lot of starlings being near the Somerset flats.

Oh and she hasn't peed in my bed either. Poor wee thing - subject to big peoples wants and not hers, I really do feel a bit guilty - soppy me.:cry:

calismum
26-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Hope she continues to improve - glad to hear she enjoys being a garden assistant.

We've not had a pic of her for ages :(

smokytopaz
26-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Hint hint? OK I'll try tomorrow in the daylight! She is rushing about with her ping pong ball at the moment, far to busy to stop and pose.:-P

dandysmom
26-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Glad her bounce is back; I do hope she'll gradually become more approachable as time goes on and all those hormones are out of her system, bless her. Yes, pics would be nice!

Leesy
26-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Glad to hear that she is recovering nicely and all is well:D , hope to see some pics soon.

Netty
28-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Glad to hear shes ok and stopped peeing. The basket story reminded me of Mindy. Whenever she was to go to the vet I'd have to hide the basket till the very last minute. If she saw it, she would slink upstairs and hide under the bed!

dandysmom
28-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Lol, Netty, I think that belongs in the Cats Laws thread; don't know how we missed that one!

If you see the cat carrier being brought out, hide instantly!

Netty
28-04-2009, 05:18 PM
She was smart! Benny, however isn't. Hes so greedy, all you need to do is put a plate of meat into it and in he goes, job done, no lacerations!!!

angieh
28-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I am glad Koko is mending well. Perhaps all her troubles have been due to those hormones. She's well rid of them IMO I don't think you have any reason to feel guilty!