PDA

View Full Version : to insure or not to insure... that is the question...

pookyandjo
15-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi all,
im after some advice about pet insurance..
I had to take Harri to the vet yesterday as she is overdue for her next immunisation booster.. she couldn't have it due to the cat flu... and im pleased to announce that her vet gave her a clean bill of health....i mentioned that she is still off her food a little.. and he suggested that it was normal and give it a couple more days and if her food intake was back to normal we would schedule her booster later in the week...
I was suggested to me that i might like to look at Health insurance for Harri... in light of what happened with Tinky Winky and the amount of money we spent on him in the last 8 weeks of his life that i should consider it...

I have never had pet insurance...but today i have been doing some research on the net and the prices vary greatly and so do some of the conditions... Of course the products will be somewhat different between countries so i know that i will have to choose carefully... however...
What im really interested in are peoples experience with pet insurance companies...do you feel you get the value out of it?... did you find it a wast of money? are there any to steer clear of?
Insurance companies in general have a bit of a bad reputation based on the fact that they are always happy to take your premiums each month but will try each and every trick in the book to get out of paying in the event that you need to make a claim..

I suppose my main motivation for looking at insurance is to have some peace of mind with regards to future costs should we be unfortunate enough to have problems like we did with Tinky some time down the track.

Kazz
15-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I have always had my dogs insured but never had the cats maybe because amost 30 years ago and when I thought about it they were to old.
Although I would say be honest with any pre exsisting conditions, and remember that the best is not always the most expensive and aso saving a few £'s for the cheapest may not be better in the long term.
A ‘lifetime’ policy has a maximum vet fee benefit available each year which is renewed at the end of that year. This means that the pet insurance policy will continue to pay for chronic or ongoing conditions such as arthritis, diabetes and eczema right into the pet’s old age.
A ‘12 month’ policy places a limit on the length of time that any single condition can be claimed for. After 12 months, the insurer will stop paying for that particular condition and it will be excluded from cover.

Also remember the excess. ...lots to weigh up. But a good peace of mind if you can afford the monthly or yearly payments.

angieh
15-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I am also considering the pros and cons of insurance for Kizzy, who currently has 4 weeks CP insurance, and I would also be grateful of any advice, hints, things to look for etc. Merlin cost a lot during the later years of his life but I am still sure that if I took all the costs involved and divided it by his life span (which was 23.5 years in his case), he still cost very little per year. You could always put the equivalent of an insurance premium in a separate savings account for the "rainy day", but of course interest rates are not helpful to savers atm.

I wonder if there are any other alternatives people have thought of? I know some vet practices actually run their own schemes now.

dandysmom
15-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd never had insurance until Leia had a bad bout of cystitis and ran up a rather large bill, what with the visit, x-ray and medication. My previous cats were healthy as horses, so I'd never thought about it till then. I've been lucky enough not to have used it in the two years I've had it, but to me, the peace of mind is worth the annual premium. I have mine here in the States thru ASPCA.

smudgley
15-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Personally I don't insure my cats, but that is my personal choice. It's what works for you and what you are comfortable with. I am happy to take the chance of a big vet bill should one occur (recently had huge bills for Bluebell & a rather large one for Lilly's post spay complications) but that's the risk you take with not being insured.

calismum
15-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I've never insured my cats - put by a set amount each month which has in the past covered things.

I was quoted £2000+ for an emergency op for Kinsi - I didn't get time to make a decision on that as she deteriorated v quickly, but it does make one wonder about the value of insuring your cat.

My dogs have always been insured.

Fern rarely used it so I would say I never really got any benefit from it - but what price a healthy dog.

Cali on the other hand has had - emergency hysterectomy, stone removed from her gut, severed bicep tendon and related physio, referral to vet school, spinal tap, full MRI scan, referral to pain clinic and acupuncture. All paid for thru her insurance with no problems at all. The monthly payments are a fraction of what her bills have been, even considering the excess.

WHen I get another kitten/cat I will serously think about insurance.

Kazz
15-04-2009, 06:54 PM
See I go with you on that Angie Oz and Cleo went rarely to the vets other than spaying neutering and jabs. other than when they reached their 20's. But now not sure I would not insure another cat I had maybe keep it for the first few years and suss out any.....problems that occur. ;) But not sure I do know that a friend of mine whose cat had diabetes and other trouble wishes they had insured.....but now can't apart from exclding the conditions they need covered.

Dogs have always been insured and I would recomend having "lifetime cover" as f you get a condition thats going to be ongoing you need that "safety net" I think these days.

I tried to work it out this afternoon Sal's insurance is AXA and lifetime (given she's a dog and a Stafford) she costs me £149 per year thats less than £13 a month and given I have excess £30.
It gives me peace of mind, which is invaluable.

Elaine
15-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I never had any insurance for Winston either, he barely cost a penny until his later years, I wouldnt like to count just how much I spent and it doesnt matter as he was worth every penny.
That said my current two are both insured via Pet Plan. I dont trust myself to put a little aside as a rainy day fund;)
I still have to look into how my insurance will be affected as i plan to stop having their yearly jabs soon.

Leesy
15-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Both Maxi and Maisy are insured and I would say it was a big relieve with Maxi and his problems that he is insured as he has already had his moneys worth:shock: :shock: :shock:

niki71uk
15-04-2009, 10:12 PM
2 out of 3 of my animals r insured,the oldest cat i never even thought about getting him insured,mibbee i shoulda considering every yr he's had to go the vet to get flea stuff,every summer he got a bald tail

the other 2,cat/dog are on a joint insurance with direct line,ive never had to use it tho

can i ask does anyone knows why spaying/castrating/neutering
are n't covered,ive been told its cosmetic i.e not necessary :shock:

smudgley
15-04-2009, 10:23 PM
2 out of 3 of my animals r insured,the oldest cat i never even thought about getting him insured,mibbee i shoulda considering every yr he's had to go the vet to get flea stuff,every summer he got a bald tail

the other 2,cat/dog are on a joint insurance with direct line,ive never had to use it tho

can i ask does anyone knows why spaying/castrating/neutering
are n't covered,ive been told its cosmetic i.e not necessary :shock:

I think it's because it's classed as a routine procedure as opposed to non-routine. Same reason as boosters & worming aren't covered.

niki71uk
15-04-2009, 10:47 PM
boosters were covered at my old vets

niki71uk
15-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Weas A New Thing I Dicoverd After The Dog Had Had His For 3 Yrs Lol

Tina
15-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Insure, insure, insure!!!!

We had Miw insured when she first came to us 5 years ago......we have thankfully never had to claim on that insurance.

When Mousie came to us 2 years ago, we decided to insure her as well.........thank goodness we did!!!!! Since she became ill last year we have run up vet bills of more than £4,000!!! We have managed to claim back all except £65 (the excess fee per year) of that money, and had no difficulty with renewing her insurance when it came up in September despite the fact that the insurance company knows Mousie has a life-long illness. They continue to pay the claims promptly and without question or difficulty.

Insure! Hope that you never need make a claim on the insurance.....but give yourself the peace of mind to know that IF your cat was to become ill, you would have the monetary means to get the treatment it may need!

Tina

PS We are insured with PetPlan.....and have NO complaints! :D

calismum
16-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Insure, insure, insure!!!!

We had Miw insured when she first came to us 5 years ago......we have thankfully never had to claim on that insurance.

When Mousie came to us 2 years ago, we decided to insure her as well.........thank goodness we did!!!!! Since she became ill last year we have run up vet bills of more than £4,000!!! We have managed to claim back all except £65 (the excess fee per year) of that money, and had no difficulty with renewing her insurance when it came up in September despite the fact that the insurance company knows Mousie has a life-long illness. They continue to pay the claims promptly and without question or difficulty.

Insure! Hope that you never need make a claim on the insurance.....but give yourself the peace of mind to know that IF your cat was to become ill, you would have the monetary means to get the treatment it may need!

Tina

PS We are insured with PetPlan.....and have NO complaints! :D

That is who I use too and have never had a problem despite the numerous different claims. In addition my vet is happy to deal with them directly and I don't have to pay up front and then claim back myself. Some companies/vets won't work like that.

dinahsmum
17-04-2009, 03:22 PM
I'd go with insurance too. For a relatively small layout each month you get a lot of peace of mind.

pookyandjo
27-04-2009, 03:41 AM
well all... am pleased to report that HRH Princess Harri is now an insured pussy cat.. signed her up with Pet Plan. Thanks for all the advice.. i rang them with a barrage of questions, all of which were answered to my satisfaction...no all i have to hope is that i never need it

Leesy
27-04-2009, 07:31 AM
well all... am pleased to report that HRH Princess Harri is now an insured pussy cat.. signed her up with Pet Plan. Thanks for all the advice.. i rang them with a barrage of questions, all of which were answered to my satisfaction...no all i have to hope is that i never need it

That is great news:D , fingers crossed you won`t ever need to use it though but at least its in place if you ever need to Xxx.

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Good to hear that! I've never had to use mine, thank goodness, but the peace of mind is well worth the premium IMO.

angieh
27-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Tina and Mousie are perhaps the best advertisement for insurance (and for PetPlan) that I can think of. I think I will be renewing Kizzy's policy when the four weeks is up.

dinahsmum
27-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Tina and Mousie are perhaps the best advertisement for insurance (and for PetPlan) that I can think of. I think I will be renewing Kizzy's policy when the four weeks is up.
Yes - hopefully it will just be a little additional monthly expense for the next 20 years but - but but but but - should she come off worse in a quarrel with a car etc etc (oh I do hope she doesn't) then you know that any worries you might have will be medical rather than financial.

I nearly nearly phoned the insurers to cancel Chester's policy, or at least discuss whether they would be happy to continue to receive premiums for a 'ghost cat'. I decided I'd leave it until after the holiday and probably until the annual renewal (July I think). So glad I left it. Imagine - he could have come home hurt or with some ongoing problem.

Tina
27-04-2009, 10:58 PM

Wonder if they'd pay us for the advertising? :lol:

angieh
27-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Wonder if they'd pay us for the advertising? :lol:

You could ask!

pookyandjo
28-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I nearly nearly phoned the insurers to cancel Chester's policy, or at least discuss whether they would be happy to continue to receive premiums for a 'ghost cat'. I decided I'd leave it until after the holiday and probably until the annual renewal (July I think). So glad I left it. Imagine - he could have come home hurt or with some ongoing problem.

A very valid point here DM... at what point do you actually cancel when you baby goes AWOL..too soon and you could find yourself ninsured at a time when you could very well need to be...

I have to wonder if there have been a few people that situation here in the last few weeks... with the bad bushfires that we had here in Feb this year lots of pets were lost or went missing... just in the last couple of weeks there have been stories in the media about cats wandering out of the bush after being given up for dead!

Leesy
28-04-2009, 07:36 AM
You would think that they could in circumstances like that beable to put your insurance contract on hold for a period of time as a good will gesture.

dandysmom
28-04-2009, 04:15 PM
That would indeed be nice, but unlikely; insurance firms aren't particularly noted for compassion .........