PDA

View Full Version : intorducing the outside??!!

hlb296
14-04-2009, 09:19 AM
HI there,
any advise on introducing the outside world?
Marmite and Angel are 2, have been outside but are new to us (via Battersea Cats home)
we;ve been advised to keep them in for 3-6 weeks weeks depending how they settle..... what do you do then??

thoughts/ideas welcome???

Helen

yola
14-04-2009, 09:41 AM
How long have you had them Helen? I would keep them in for as long as you can and for as long as it takes them to get fully comfortable with you and to understand that your home is their home!

My 3 cats are indoor only (apart from outdoors in back garden with supervision) so I'm probably someone who would err on the side of caution :roll:

smudgley
14-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I would keep them in for 6 weeks, during that time make them get used to a sound at feeding time, could be a whistle or rattling a fork on the side if a tin or rattling some crunchies in a tin. Do this every time you feed them, so they make the association. (Don't leave the food down all the time, or there will be nothing to differentiate) then one day when you have lots of time & when they are hungry (ie before breakfast) let them outside!.... Watch them, then do their little noise for food & feed them.... build on this until you are cnfident they are aware of where they now live. Ensure they are microchipped & personally mine all wear collars with ID on.

yola
14-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes - I meant to mention the microchipping . . . vital.

niki71uk
14-04-2009, 11:14 AM
microchipping for in case they get lost yes,but wot if they get stolen,or who ever finds them doesnt check for microchip,once its gone its gone

smudgley
14-04-2009, 11:15 AM
microchipping for in case they get lost yes,but wot if they get stolen,or who ever finds them doesnt check for microchip,once its gone its gone

Your point being?

Once what's gone?

niki71uk
14-04-2009, 11:41 AM
the cat lol,

yola
14-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Yes - it doesn't guarantee a cat will be found, but you have far more chance of being reunited with your cat if it is microchipped. Surely that's what all owners would want?

angieh
14-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Helen - I am in a similar position to you in that my new cat, Kizzy, has only been with me for 2 days and is from Cats Protection. She has been microchipped and when she is ready to go out (6 weeks Smudgley???? :shock: ) I think I will get her one of these (http://http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/) safety identity collars. It will not prevent her from being stolen, but if she is accidentally lost, it is an immediate alert for anyone who finds her. Also it will give me something to fix her catflap magnet to. It's a pity, because she has never worn a collar but I'd much rather she be as safe as possible, even though I want her to live the life of an independent cat if she wants to.

(That linking is still not working for me - I still get Page Load Error! http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/)

smudgley
14-04-2009, 01:38 PM
The longer the better, but ideally at least 6 weeks. :)

smudgley
14-04-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/EG02-Welcomehome.pdf

smudgley
14-04-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/EG09-Movinghome.pdf

pookyandjo
14-04-2009, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=angieh;549697]Hi Helen - I am in a similar position to you in that my new cat, Kizzy, has only been with me for 2 days and is from Cats Protection. She has been microchipped and when she is ready to go out (6 weeks Smudgley???? :shock: )

Angieh, i hope the beautiful Kizzy's flatulence problemgoes soon or you will need to get her a little kitty gas mask!;)

angieh
14-04-2009, 02:09 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She seems a bit better today thanks! MIL kept saying "Does she want to go out?" Meaning, that cat is spifflicating me!

She is not "worrying" to go out atm - luckily!

Thanks for posting those links Smudgley - straightforward information and advice and worth reading.

hlb296
14-04-2009, 03:22 PM
thanks all great advice!!!
yes I've got one of those kind of collars, which should do the trick...
I need to do more to attract their attention at food time - that will be the next game to play!!

another quick ????
what do you do about treats and what's your thoughts on cat milk???

cheers Helen

calismum
14-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I usually only use treats as a bribe - I put then in a metal tin and shake them while shouting treats. That is how I always got any of my cats to come in. Really a variation on the tip about food noise above.

Some of my cats have been fine on cows milk, others not. I've found them never to be too fond of special cat milk so don't tend to buy it. Although my friends cats would drink it all day.

dandysmom
14-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Many cats are lactose intolerant as adults; some aren't. You can tell if they are....diarrhea! Two of my girls loved both cows milk and cat milk, drank it daily till they went to the Bridge at 20 and 19 1/2. If your two like and tolerate it, let them have it, IMO.

Jasmine
14-04-2009, 07:55 PM
I had a 12 year old cat from CP last July - kept him in the house for 3 weeks and then took him out wearing a harness for another 4 weeks (he did not mind at all) and then got up enough courage to let him go out alone - the first day he never went out of the garden. 2nd day he jumped on to neighbour's shed and sat and watched me.

The longer the better.

angieh
14-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Smudge was lactose intolerant and so was one of her kits. Merlin wasn't and loved his morning milk, he was not keen on the cat milk.

I haven't tried Kizzy on either - she seems very happy to drink water and actually does, so I am happy.

I've only ever bought a couple of different "cat treats" - neither of mine showed any sign of liking, so they were hardly treats. The last little bag I bought from my vet even next door's porky boy took one sniff and walked away disgusted!

A proper treat is much more likely to be a prawn or a bit of mince (previously frozen!) or a little bit of cheese.

dandysmom
14-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree with Angie about commercial treats. Ms. Picky doesn't like them, but neither did my previous cats, who were anything but picky. Ham, chicken, cheese ......

yola
15-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Yup - I'm with you on the treats. Mine turned their noses up and pretty well everything shop bought. Ham, tuna, prawns, cheese, poppadoms :shock: , chicken, liver etc etc all go down well in our house :-D

matthewso585
10-05-2009, 06:30 PM
i would agree with yola, to be honest yes 6 weeks maybe good enough. But i think its vital that they are sound in your home first and until they are ready. Just an opinion. Mine is microchipped and never been gone so there was no point haha! but, better safe than sorry...