PDA

View Full Version : Been bitten

Elaine
13-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Something has bitten me twice on my right arm, my fore arm and my elbow are very red, extremely itchy, hot and swollen:shock: . I have never taken such a reaction to an insect bite before.
Should I have the arm amputated?:lol:
Got some anti hystamine from my sister, which has taken some of the itch and heat out of it.

Moli
13-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Think the only answer is amputation Lainey, just incase it spreads..:? :lol: :lol: Have you got some after bite to put on it??

Elaine
13-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Think the only answer is amputation Lainey, just incase it spreads..:? :lol: :lol: Have you got some after bite to put on it??

What's after bite?

I windered about the spread of infection, hence my question about the amputation, then I thought menangitis but found two small bites in the swellings of each affected area, and thought "oh Lainey, ever the drama queen":lol: :lol: :lol:

Moli
13-04-2009, 04:57 PM
You get afterbite from the chemist or some supermarkets, its a pen like thing that you put on a bite and it stops it itching and heals it....

Elaine
13-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Ah ok, will look for some of that.

Moli
13-04-2009, 04:59 PM
It does sting though!

angieh
13-04-2009, 06:03 PM
OH says neat gin swallowed in large quantities. I think a tourniquet around the bicep, cut open the bites and get someone else to suck out the poison - G par example! Probably followed by the large neat gin.

random
13-04-2009, 06:22 PM
LOL! Aww maybe you were stung? I remember once being stung by a wasp and barely noticed 'til I saw the bu$$er on my arm, THAT is when I screamed! :lol: :roll:

Moli
13-04-2009, 06:57 PM
OH says neat gin swallowed in large quantities. I think a tourniquet around the bicep, cut open the bites and get someone else to suck out the poison - G par example! Probably followed by the large neat gin.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
13-04-2009, 08:32 PM
That afterbite sounds like what I use: Benedryl Anti-Itch Stick. It's like lip balm or gloss, and it really does tamp down the fiery burning and itch...I swear by it for mosquito bites. Could it be a spider bite?

dandysmom
13-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Forgot to say I agree with Angie's OH.... gin!!

Tink
13-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Yes, I'm afraid you'll have to amputate:lol:
But really, the only times I've been affected that badly by a bite was when it was a spider. It swelled up like a boil..yuck.
You don't have ticks in your area, do you? Ticks can cause nasty reactions as well.
I agree with the gin...but I'd also like to add chocolate cake. Yes, that should fix it. And some cookies:D

angieh
13-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I've still got some chocolate cake left! You'd be welcome to have some - only promise it wasn't a s****r bite - can't think about that - probably not in Bonnie Scotland?

Elaine
13-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I dont think it would have been a spider. Like the gin and chocolate cake idea:D
Its still very red, itchy and swollen. Think I am becoming paranoid about it now as my shoulder and wrist ache but not sure if thay actually ache or if it's all in the mind, if you know what I mean. Cannt see any red tracking, so cannt have been poisoned.:lol:

yola
14-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Poor you Elaine. I react badly to gnat bites - end up with golf-ball sized lumps on me :shock: The sting relief pen thing is brilliant - if you apply it as soon as the bite appears it really lessens the reaction. Smells heavily of ammonia though - sends my cats into a frenzy for some reason :lol:

Quick question for Angie - would the neat gin be for Elaine or for poor G as a post-poison mouthwash ;)

angieh
14-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Poor you Elaine. I react badly to gnat bites - end up with golf-ball sized lumps on me :shock: The sting relief pen thing is brilliant - if you apply it as soon as the bite appears it really lessens the reaction. Smells heavily of ammonia though - sends my cats into a frenzy for some reason :lol:

Quick question for Angie - would the neat gin be for Elaine or for poor G as a post-poison mouthwash ;)

I'm in a generous mood, they can both have some!

dandysmom
14-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Yola, I react that way to mosquito bites, and I wouldn't be without the pen! It really does help amazingly; Elaine, do get one if only for future use!

Mags
14-04-2009, 05:59 PM
A quick home remedy for mossie (and hopefully other stinging insects) bites is to rub some toothpaste on it .......it will soon relieve the itching. I'm a target for mossies when we go on holiday and that tip was given to me by someone in Barbados. Dabbing vinegar on the sting will also help.:D

calismum
14-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Wow - the unknown properties of toothpaste - I was told to use it to get a coffee stain out of a cream shirt (worked well), since been told it is good for most stains on light coloured fabrics.

How is the sting/bite today Elaine?

Elaine
14-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanx every one, especially for the gin:lol:
The redness and swelling has gone down tremendously after i loaded sudacream onto them over night. Still itchy so am applying the cream as and when it starts.
Will defo be investing in the pen thing, so thanx for that too.
No need for amputation after all:lol:

calismum
14-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanx every one, especially for the gin:lol:
The redness and swelling has gone down tremendously after i loaded sudacream onto them over night. Still itchy so am applying the cream as and when it starts.
Will defo be investing in the pen thing, so thanx for that too.
No need for amputation after all:lol:

That must be a relief :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
14-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow - the unknown properties of toothpaste - I was told to use it to get a coffee stain out of a cream shirt (worked well), since been told it is good for most stains on light coloured fabrics.

How is the sting/bite today Elaine?

I've also heard toothpaste works when you've gotten a water stain on dark furniture...it's a light abrasive and supposedly will clear up the whitish stain. Never tried it, though ......

angieh
14-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Glad you won't need amputation Elaine. It'd be difficult to hang on to doggie leads with one one arm!

Do you have any idea what the offending creature was???