PDA

View Full Version : Mousie Update - One year on

Tina
12-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Hi folks

Haven't been on much lately what with life keeping me busy. Will read up on the news in the next few days and see what I've missed.

It's been a year now since I joined this forum.......April 11th 2008 when I almost lost little Mousie. I've been so appreciative of the support and advice I have received from everyone over the past year......and for the laughs as well! :lol:

As most of you know, Mousie became ill with non-regenerative anaemia a year ago and was at the foot of the Rainbow Bridge. After tests and medication and blood transfusions......and calling on all of her strength and courage........she managed to pull through and was diagnosed a few weeks later with Immune Mediated Erythroid Aplasia.

In the past year we have played with various doses of her immunosuppressant medication to try to get her on a minimum dose that would work for her.......the hope was that we would be able to get her med free within 6 months to a year. We have been through 4 relapses in the year when we have tried to bring her dose down lower.......and always had to raise it again. It was finally decided that we couldn't go lower than her current dose and that she will never be med-free.

In addition to the relapses, Mousie has suffered various tummy problems from the meds, as well as 2 skin infections from the shaving for her blood tests. She has endured, first weekly, and then monthly blood work to keep an eye on her red cell count, and endless poking and jabbing and needles. And she has endured all without complaint and with the courage of a lion!

Currently, Mousie is in the midst of relapse number 5. We're not able to blame this one on reducing her meds as we haven't done so. The vet is concerned that she's beginning to build up an immunity to her medication. At the moment her red cell count has levelled out at a little below normal range and her reproduction of red cells is sluggish at best. We will wait and see if the red cell count goes lower before we decide on our next step. The next step will likely be to try to raise her medication to a higher dose.......which will hopefully work, but will compromise her immune system more and cause more side effects and high risk of kidney problems.

We have been aware from the start that Mousie's prognosis isn't great.....up to 5 years maximum.......with likelihood of it being less than 3 years. But we will continue to do everything we are able to keep her healthy and happy and with a good quality of life! She is still active (driving Miw mad!) and playful, and enjoys life to the fullest! She is still very tiny and often mistaken for a kitten and has lost more weight over the past month......but she's still at a healthy enough weight for her actual size.......so we'll work on fattening her up again! She'll be celebrating her 2nd birthday in June, so cream cakes will definately be on the menu! :lol:

I'll continue to keep people posted as often as I can......but not really online much lately.

Thanks again all for the support over the past year! :D

Elaine
12-04-2009, 09:05 AM
So sorry to hear that Mousie is having another relapse, have everything crossed that she will come good again. Poor wee thing has been through so much this last year and as you say, she has coped with it all with the courage of a lion. She couldnt have asked for a more committed human to care for her.
Wishing you all strength, health and courage, as well as all my love and best wishes. xxx

yola
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I totally echo what Elaine has said. And thank you for updating us - please coul you post some pictures too when you have a moment, we haven't seen much of Mousie or Miw for a while now :D

smudgley
12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
It's great to hear from you again. Sorry to hear Mousie is having a rough time again though. Try and stay positive & all will be well. Thinking of you.

Mags
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Thank you for updating us Tina, Mousie is certainly a very brave little cat. You have been marvellous helping her through the bad times.

Looking forward to her 2nd birthday celebrations!:D

PoshPuss
12-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for your post about Mousie, lovely to know the little one is still fighting on and battles hard. May she continue to have the heart of a lion :)

dandysmom
12-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the update; sorry to hear about rhe relapse. She';s such a brave little girl, and couldn't have a better Mum. Do post some pics when you can; would be lovely to see her and Miw. ((hugs)))

Tina
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I totally echo what Elaine has said. And thank you for updating us - please coul you post some pictures too when you have a moment, we haven't seen much of Mousie or Miw for a while now :D

I have posted a few pics in the Pictures section. :D

angieh
15-04-2009, 02:03 PM
You and your family are all grand fighters in the cause of dear Mousie and she is one brave little soldier. Thanks for updating us about her. I do hope that she rallies again. She does indeed have the spirit of a lioness.

Bless you for giving her such dedicated good care.

Leesy
15-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Soooo sorry to hear that Mousie is having another relapse, hope that she feels better soon, give her a BIG cuddle form Me, Maxi & Maisy xxx.