PDA

View Full Version : De-clawing

onekidney
11-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Who, in the U.K. agrees with the American practice of de-clawing. Don't hold with it myself, it's the cats defence mechanism and leaves them very vunerable without claws:mad:

Mags
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
De-clawing is illegal in the UK thank goodness and I might add that many Americans also abhor the practice. It serves no purpose at all other than to protect furnishings ......there is a less painful way of overcoming that - don't get a cat!

You will find a previous discussion on this subject here (http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=17751&highlight=declawing)

dandysmom
11-04-2009, 04:33 PM
It's barbaric and inhumane. Fortunately an increasing number of vets here in the States will not perform the operation.

Kim
11-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Totally against it, thank goodness it is illegal here.

Tink
12-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I am totally against it. Two of my cats had previous owners that declawed them. When I compare them to Kuan Yin (the only cat who has been with me since she was a baby and is thus not declawed), I can see major behavioral differences. They both know they're vulnerable and not able to defend themselves. My senior girl is very timid and my other girl makes up for her lack of claws with always being on the defensive. It's quite sad.

angieh
13-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for giving us an insight into how this dreadful practice actually affects cat behaviour, Tink. Poor cats - but luckily for them they now have you to take care of them.

Moli
13-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I think of declawing the same way as docking tails, and pricking ears, its cruel, no need for it....

Catkin
06-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I think of declawing the same way as docking tails, and pricking ears, its cruel, no need for it....

Totally agree, its wrong and so cruel.

I am also against those soft claw things that americans brought out. Think how uncomfortable it must be for the cats as there nails retract...ouch. :(

smokytopaz
06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Personally I cringe when I think of having my nails removed........leaving that soft flesh. I hate it when they break down below the quick!

I couldn't have it done to my two.

pcspik
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
My cats are indoors only, but if declawing was legal here, I would never do it. If someone's furniture is so precious to them then they should never get a cat.

My cats have scratched the sides and back of my leather 3 piece suite, but I would never put them through a drastic procedure because of that. I would rather save up and get a new one.

Phoenix
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I strongly disagree with it as well, it's not natural! :shock:

John
10-11-2009, 08:18 PM
a very cruel disgusting practice...glad it is banned in this country..suprised HSUS . in the States doesn.t try to have it banned there..

dandysmom
10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I wish it were banned here too; although a growing number of vets will not do it, thank God. The two I have gone to over the years consider it the barbarism it is.

tricia1470
18-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Gosh I'd rather replace my sofa's (which I do regulary lol) than even contemplate that.

PoshPuss
13-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Never realised it was ILLEGAL here but wouldn't do it anyway! My sis mentioned it to me when she was over from the States that its done as a matter of course, ugh! Yes the wallpaper took a battering after we had Posh,but problem now solved with painted walls and the freedom to scratch here we allow her to ie, her cat pole and 'her' table legs..it seems to satisfy. Her table,by the way, is a family heirloom... it's been the grandson's paint table, his 'car', his teeth marks are on it, its got paint stains and scratches on it. Earlier I used to change his nappy on it, now Posh jumps on it and hides under it. So many memories :)

James
02-01-2010, 11:44 PM
For a cat, its claws are far more vital than human finger & toe nails. The best example I can offer is that de-clawing is the equivalent of amputating each finger and toe at the distal joint (nearest the end of the digit) on us. I am appalled (but not surpried) that some people consider furniture more important than a cat's welfare!

dandysmom
03-01-2010, 12:33 AM
You're not alone, James. I'm very embarrassed that it's STILL not illegal here ......