PDA

View Full Version : Dog inappetance

Elaine
10-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Benji is still not eating on his own, the vet said that if he doesnt start eating over the weekend that he will have to go in to be opened up, so they can see what is going on.
So far I have managed to get him to eat a few cocktail sausages, which I hid his meds in, a little bit of beef and a little bit of yoghurt. Have asked his owner to keep trying little bits every few hours, have suggested making a gravey and trying him with a little meat in pasta. Will also suggest a little broth with out oniions. Have read a website which also suggests a little honey or maple syrup.
If any one has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

random
10-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I'd try him on chicken, fish and light things like boiled rice, pasta, maybe a bit of porridge with honey if he will take that?

Mags
10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
This (http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_isnt_my_dog_eating) may be helpful if you haven't already seen it, Elaine......

andy
10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I would say the same a light meal of chicken and rice hope all goes well and he starts to pick up

calismum
10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
poor wee guy - when my Fern used to be poorly she would eat anything if I added a little tomato sauce to it??

Elaine
10-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd try him on chicken, fish and light things like boiled rice, pasta, maybe a bit of porridge with honey if he will take that?

We have tried the chicken and rice, fish and rice, chicken/fish on their own and also with pasta. The only things we can get him to eat right now is cocktail sausages and a little yoghurt. I will mention the porridge and honey, I did try him with a little honey but he wouldnt touch it, so dabbed a little on his nose.

This (http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_isnt_my_dog_eating) may be helpful if you haven't already seen it, Elaine......

Thankyou Mags that is very helpful, will print it off for the owner.

poor wee guy - when my Fern used to be poorly she would eat anything if I added a little tomato sauce to it??

Ketchup? really? I guess it would make sense as it is sugary. Absolutely anything is worth a try right now.

calismum
10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Just thinking - a guy I used to meet dog walking years ago used to give his dogs condesned milk if they were off their food.

Elaine
10-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanx CM, always good to have as many options as possible, I hadnt considered condensed milk or ketchup for that matter.

Kazz
11-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Have you tried warming up his food not by much but it does work, (although not sure whats wrong with Benji)
other than that really smelly cheese, like the blue veined stuff.
Or you could try as already suggested tomato sauce (Spag Bol is a good choice)
Other than that squirty cream is a great standby for cats and dogs. :)
Or a bit of liver...you need something that smells strong.

Can I ask what is wrong with him?

Elaine
11-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Have you tried warming up his food not by much but it does work, (although not sure whats wrong with Benji)
other than that really smelly cheese, like the blue veined stuff.
Or you could try as already suggested tomato sauce (Spag Bol is a good choice)
Other than that squirty cream is a great standby for cats and dogs. :)
Or a bit of liver...you need something that smells strong.

Can I ask what is wrong with him?

He has had a severe case of gastro enteritis.
We have tried warming his food, havent tried cheese but will keep it in mind. Managed to get him to take some pasta tonight. Tried him with some liver cake but he didnt take it but did show interest in it, so may get a bit of liver tomorrow and try that. He is still not eating much but is much perkier in himself. Went up tonight and took him for a walk and he was up for a bit of play too which was good to see. His poo was still runny at first but the last bit was a bit more formed although still very soft, so hopefully he is going in the right direction now.
The problem today has been getting him to take his meds.

pookyandjo
12-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi Elaine...
not sure if this will help... but my folks used to breed labs... anytime they were off their food... (which wasn't that often with labs!!!) my mum would give them a bowl of sustagen.. Im not even sure that you can get it in the UK
it's a powdered milk based supplement that that has lots of vitamins and minerals in it.. its primary use if for humans... especially in convalesence.. is reasonably high in calories and is absorbed quickly and converted to energy... herethey sell it at chemists and supermarkets ...hopefully that helps
Jo

Elaine
12-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanx Jo will have a search for that or the UK equivalent.