PDA

View Full Version : newsletters, advice needed.

farthing
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
We have a couple of people who sponsor 2 groups of rabbits. I feel they deserve some return and was thinking about a newsletter If it were you what would you like, just info about your specific group, even though not much has happened, or a general letter of all the goings on.
We are in thinking about becoming a registered charity ( if possible) as it would mean we could take in a few more animals, but what are your thoughts. I often feel we are taken less seriously than a sanctuary that takes in one specific species, although many animals here would have been PTS if we hadn't taken them. Any input would be welcome.

angieh
09-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I remember you mentioning that you were thinking about becoming a registered charity last year farthing. IMO you certainly deserve that status, although I have to admit that I am ignorant about what hoops you have to jump through to become registered.

As to the newsletter, I wonder whether you could do a general one, thinking of the possibility perhaps of further sponsorship and a supplement about the sponsors particular group to go with it. A bit of extra work perhaps, but I would think that any possibility of further sponsorship would make it worth your while.

Good Luck!

farthing
09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks Angie, it is something we have been debating for a while, but it is such a commitment.
I know a few other people would be willing to sponsor some of the animals, but you then feel you must give something back. We were thinking about a newsletter, like you suggested and 2 x open days, one in the summer and one over christmas for any sponsors would be nice. I think sponsorship is something I would be more comfortable about because people could choose how much and who they want to support.
Personally I would like everything to be set up as we like it, but Mike argues that we will never be satisfied and we should just go for it now. I guess I am not sure about asking people for money, when it is something we choose to do.

angieh
10-04-2009, 10:47 AM
You may choose to do it farthing, but without your choosing what would happen to those unfortunate animals that you look after so well? I am sure that when people donate they are thinking about that.

calismum
10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
farthing, I think that people are more than happy to giver to a charity as they somehow think it is more 'official'. Like Angieh I have no idea how hard that would be to set up but you have to consider that, if it means a little more income then you can either make conditions better for the animals you have or expand what you are able to do.

I live not far from a wildlife rescue centre/sanctuary and they have a couple of open days a year. I took an injured buzzard into them a year or so back and they were preparing for an open day. They said it helped raise their profile and they used the day to encourage animal sponsors and left some charity tins about too.

Newsletter wise I can only offer the following tip - we used to do this for a dog club I was involved in.

The newsletter was done in sections. We used to have a 'well done' bit for members. This was either for agility, obedience, show news or general help and support. We used to move the relevant section to the top.

So - if you did the newsletter and say you were doing 20 copies. Say you have 5 rabbit sponsors, 5 guinea pig sponsors etc. So you print off 5 with the rabbit bit first, then move it down and put the guinea pig bit at the top and print out 5 of them etc.

That way the newsleter has the bit aboult all the rabbit news at the top for rabbit sponsors. But you still have the gereral info which may help raise awareness or donations for other areas. Also if you don't have much news it won't matter so much as the letter will still have other stuff that is interesing for people.

yola
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I think a newsletter is a good idea - whether a charity or 'just' a sanctuary; and for both donators and for the press. Alongside this if you do convert to a charity you can get some local/national PR on the back of it - make sure you milk the media as much as you can :D Either way, you should build relationships with journalists as they can really help be your public voice.

I sometimes write releases for our local CP thinking that there's not a cat in hell's chance (pardon pun) of them running the story - yet they will do so with prominance.