PDA

View Full Version : I have so feathered friends...

Moli
09-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Couple of mocking birds have been coming to the balcony, put a seed feeder out, but the sparrows love it, these mocking birds prefer apple, grapes and biscuits.They actually come right into the room and look at me waiting for something to eat...:D

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 08:27 PM
They're lovely birds with a gorgeous song; often sing at night when the moon is full. Actually I think their song is nicer than the famous nightingale; I have a CD of bird songs and heard the nightingale there; we don't have them. Have you seen any mourning doves?

Moli
09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I have seen doves Eileen, not sure which ones though, they look like very slim pigeons...??

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Are they sort of a light brown and their wings make a sort of whistling noise when they take off?

Moli
09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Are they sort of a light brown and their wings make a sort of whistling noise when they take off?
Thats them...:D Very elegant...

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Can you believe in many States they're classified as "game birds" and people shoot and eat them? Horrible.

Moli
09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
:( Can you believe in many States they're classified as "game birds" and people shoot and eat them? Horrible.
:( :( Thats awful, they do not look big enough to eat!:(

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't think so, but to each his own, I suppose..I cannot imagine shooting doves.

Moli
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I could not shoot anything Eileen, but as you say to each their own...

random
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Oh how lovely to see different birds. I have a friend in Glasgow who feeds the birds and they are very tame and come right up on the windowsill demanding their food!

Moli
09-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Oh how lovely to see different birds. I have a friend in Glasgow who feeds the birds and they are very tame and come right up on the windowsill demanding their food!
There are so many different ones here, and as Eileen says the Mocking bird has a lovely song, its perched on the balconey singing to me:D

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
There are so many different ones here, and as Eileen says the Mocking bird has a lovely song, its perched on the balconey singing to me:D

:-D Actually, he's singing to say that this is his territory and other mocking birds had better stay away from his patch! They are very territorial birds. But it is a lovely song; you've made a friend there, bet he'll be back tomorrow for some fruit and biscuits.

Moli
09-04-2009, 10:03 PM
:-D Actually, he's singing to say that this is his territory and other mocking birds had better stay away from his patch! They are very territorial birds. But it is a lovely song; you've made a friend there, bet he'll be back tomorrow for some fruit and biscuits.
Here me thinking he was singing to me:roll: :lol: There was a second one, but he gave it a right telling off, and its not been back, must get some raisins for him...How can you tell the difference between Male and Female??

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Here me thinking he was singing to me:roll: :lol: There was a second one, but he gave it a right telling off, and its not been back, must get some raisins for him...How can you tell the difference between Male and Female??

We can't! Although he can, and so can she! The other one was probably a male. Both sexes are identically marked, unlike some other birds, like the cardinal. Have you seen any of them? Brilliant red male with a crest and red beak, she's brownish.

Leesy
09-04-2009, 10:55 PM
The birds sound lovely there Moli hope you are taking plenty of pics to show us;)

random
09-04-2009, 11:09 PM

That's lovely though, I have a pair of blackbirds here but all they do is squawk at me because I haven't filled the bird table! :shock: I didn't even think blackbirds were particular about seeds but there you go!

And the Magpie which has STOLEN 4 fat balls in the last 2 weeks!

Maybe I need a trip over the pond! :-D

random
09-04-2009, 11:11 PM
We can't! Although he can, and so can she! The other one was probably a male. Both sexes are identically marked, unlike some other birds, like the cardinal. Have you seen any of them? Brilliant red male with a crest and red beak, she's brownish.

Oh Eileen do you really get Cardinals? How super that must be, the most exotic bird I have had in my garden is a blue tit!

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Oh Eileen do you really get Cardinals? How super that must be, the most exotic bird I have had in my garden is a blue tit!

Indeed I do get cardinals, but it's all so relative, isn't it? I love seeing pics of your birds, all new and exotic to me. I'd love to see a blue tit! And your green woodpecker. Does anyone have nightengales?