PDA

View Full Version : Eva unwell

Elaine
05-04-2009, 09:55 AM
AGAIN.:roll:
Another upset tummy for my Diva. I think I may call Andrew and ask him to run a blood panel. I used to think it was all down to stress of me being away etc as she is a sensitive girl. But there has been no stress for her of late and although it's been several months since the last bout, she really shouldnt have upset tummy troubles as often as she does.
Off to get her some white fish and chicken.

Mags
05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Poor girl :( ........ could she have eaten something outdoors that didn't agree with her, Elaine?

Kazz
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Thats a shame, wonder what it is.

angieh
05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Poor sweetheart. Hope her tummy settles down quickly.

Elaine
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Poor girl :( ........ could she have eaten something outdoors that didn't agree with her, Elaine?

She could have Mags but this seems to be happening every 3 to 4 months and the last two times both G and I have been here. Maybe Andrew is right that there may be something hanging around her and unless we find out exactly what kind of bug it is, it may always be a reccurring issue. Needless to say that with her upset tummy, she has stopped using the litter boxes again and she was doing so well on that front.

alexgirl73
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
awww, poor Eva, Hope you get her sorted asap Elaine xx

Elaine
05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I hate seeing her so unhappy. G and I have been trying to help her clean up a bit and she is having none of it sadly. We'll keep trying, she isnt interested in her poached fish either. Will try some chicken later.

PoshPuss
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
OH DEAR :( Hope Eva starts to fancy a little something soon. Give her a little chin tickle from me.

Elaine
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Finally managed to get her cleaned up, G took the worst of her wrath. Her bottom looks sore, bless her, she is now staring at me and G like she wants to kill us.

dandysmom
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh poor Eva, poor you! Hope the blood panel will find something that can be treated ....(((hugs)))

pinklizzy
05-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Poor Eva, hope she starts to feel better soon xxx

Moli
05-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Bless her poor baby, think you are right getting it investigated Lainey, its happening too regularly....

Elaine
05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Have been reading about pancreatitis and colitis but they dont seem to fit. Scared myself a bit reading the FAB site as they also suggest testing for FIV and FeLV, but if thats the route I have to go down then that's what I have to do.
Have emailed Andrew but wont get a response until tomorrow.

EmmaG
05-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I hope she gets better Elaine, and that you get to the bottom of the problem x

Phoenix
05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Get well soon Eva :(

calismum
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Poor Eva - hope she feels beter soon. Maybe the bloods will find something that will help get to the bottom of this.

Leesy
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Sooooo sorry to hear that Eva is having tummy problems:( :( , and I know exactly what looks you are getting after cleaning her bum as those are the looks that I am getting from Maxi after wiping his bum with his tummy problems too:roll: :roll: .
Hope her tummy settles soon and that the problem can be sorted out very quickly by your vet.

farthing
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Elaine, has she had a feacal sample tested, if not I would get that done as well as blood tests. How old is Eva and what is she generally like. Overactive thryoids can cause runny bums, as well as big appetite, weight loss etc. Cats may not show all of these symptoms, Samson didn't look hyperthyroid, he just started yowling throught the night.
If Eva is a fighting cat, coming home with bites I would probably get her tested for Felv/Fiv, or if she has always been prone to infections. Don't worry too much though as Tabatha is a healthy girl and she is doubly compromised being FIV and hyper thyroid.
Anyway, I hope you can find out what is wrong and get it sorted once and for all, she may just have a slight dietry intolerance and they can be beggars to identify.

Elaine
05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Eva is only 5 yrs old, realistically it cannt be FIV as she doesnt come into contact with other cats, just Bernie, just got a fright when reading the FAB site about colitis etc and they said to test for it. I dont think it would be her thyroid either, if anything that would be underactive given her weight etc:lol: .
Andrew wanted to do bloods the last time but I was convinced it was a bug as Bernie went down with it too a few days after Eva. He did say then that if we werent giving her the right treatment for the right infection that it would come back. There have been no sudden dietary changes. It just worries me that Eva gets this several times each year and I have never experienced this with any other cat I have had. Will see what Andrew wants to do from here but I think it's time to stop blaming everything on her stressy nature and look into it a bit further.

farthing
05-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Its not likely to be thyroid problems if she is only 5. I think I would still consider getting a feacal sample tested to rule out any recurring infection.

dinahsmum
06-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Hope she's feeling better and you're less stressed today Elaine

Elaine
06-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Eva is brighter today. Had to rush one of the dogs i walk into the vet this afternoon, terrible gastro enteritis, poor baby was shaking all over, anyway, we saw Andrew and once we sorted the dog out we had a little chat about my Eva.
We have some vitamin supplements to be getting on with and will get a feacal sample sent off but the worry with those are that they arent always conclusive, should that be the case we are going to do bloods but he said Eva being Eva, she will probably need a heavy sedation for that one.
We discussed the possibilities of colitis and pancreatitis but he said that it would be unlikely as cats with those conditions usually find it difficult to gain weight and Eva has NO problems on that score.

dandysmom
06-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Glad she's a bit perkier today; hope the vitamins help. It's so worrying when you don't know what's wrong.

random
06-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Hope you find out what's wrong with Eva soon!

Elaine
06-04-2009, 09:28 PM
No chance of the vitamins doing anything coz Bernie has scoffed the lot:shock:

dandysmom
06-04-2009, 09:36 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Leesy
06-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Glad that Eva has been feeling alot better today, hope that you can get to the bottom as to what her problem is.

mattde
07-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah good to hear she's on feeling better.

yola
07-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Glad to hear Eva's a bit brighter!

It made me smile to think your mild-mannered Bernie had her vits away . . . he's obviously been waiting a while for the chance to get his own back :-D

Magenta
07-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I hope Eva continues to get better and that you find out what's wrong with her. Best of luck xx

dandysmom
07-04-2009, 04:00 PM
How is she today, Elaine?

Elaine
07-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Well she was better:? A nice big firm poo this morning but this afternoon she was runny again, so feacal sample is in, just have to wait and see i guess.:roll:

Leesy
07-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Thats a shame Elaine, it`s always a big relief when they have a firm poop isn`t it but a bit of a downer if the next is loose again:( , well at least you have got a sample in now and you just need to sit tight for the results.

Elaine
09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Just off to the vet to get some panacurr and anti biotics, yes you got it the runnyness is back.

angieh
09-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh poor love. Let's hope the sample reveals what's wrong. (((HUGS))) for you and calm words of reassurance for Eva.

Leesy
09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Awwwww bless poor Eva, Maxi passes on his sympathies and says it will get better soon and also a big kiss X.

dandysmom
09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Sorry t hear this, Elaine, (((hugs)))

Elaine
10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Ok here is the good news, Eva is firming up:D
The bad news, Bernie is becoming loose:?

calismum
10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
That's good for Eva

That's not so good for Bernie

angieh
10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
This isn't the first time they have "followed" each other is it? Makes you think it's a bug of some sort. Will you let your vet have a sample from Bernie too?

Elaine
10-04-2009, 09:19 PM
This isn't the first time they have "followed" each other is it? Makes you think it's a bug of some sort. Will you let your vet have a sample from Bernie too?

I will mention it to Andrew, will wait and see what results I get from Eva's sample before sending one off for Bernie as it costs £50 a pop for what may come back as inconclusive. Should that be the case i may be better having them blood tested. Will discuss it with Andrew next week.

dandysmom
10-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh dear, poor Bernie. Glad Eva's a bit better....

random
10-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh bless Bernie, sounds like a bug he's caught from Eva then? Glad she is feeling better though, least chances are it's the same problem with Bernie. x

Kazz
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Do you think its a bug they both carry that is harmless to them when they are "on form" and when under the weather up it pops....

Elaine
11-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Oh bless Bernie, sounds like a bug he's caught from Eva then? Glad she is feeling better though, least chances are it's the same problem with Bernie. x

Certainly seems that way and thats what happened the last time too. Pleased to report that both seem to be better today.

Do you think its a bug they both carry that is harmless to them when they are "on form" and when under the weather up it pops....

Must be something like that, I am only guessing though. Will have to see if the stool sample shows anything. Failing that we would be looking into having bloods done.

Elaine
11-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Here's a thought, dont know why I didnt think of this before but do you think it's possible that I have maybe taken the bug home from Benji? Or vice versa?
Both he and Eva became ill last weekend.

dandysmom
11-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Disquieting thought, Elaine; I have no idea if dogs and cats can share diseases. Hope it's not so ......

Elaine
18-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Sorry, forgot to update this. Andrew said it is highly unlikely that I passed on any bug from Benji to my cats.
Feacal sample hasnt shown anything but that doesnt mean that there is nothing, if you know what I mean. The next step would be to do bloods but I am a little reluctant coz it would mean having to have her knocked out.
We have decided just to wait a while and see how she goes.
So far she is just fine again although back to pooping on the floor:roll: . May give Reiki Bob a call, maybe a few more sessions and she'll relax a little more and use the tray again.

yola
18-04-2009, 09:23 PM
D'you know Elaine, I was beginning to come to the same conclusion? I've had a dodgy tummy for a week or so - nothing dramatic . . . just 'not quite right' and today poor Balie has had the most awful trots :( He's obviously hungry because he's currently wolfing down the boiled chicken but I was thinking that maybe whatever bug I've had has crossed species and is causing him a problem. Not really sure how plausible that is . . .

Elaine
18-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Aparently so Yola.
http://www.2ndchance.info/zoonoses.htm
Well certainly with things such as worms, camphylabactor and such like.

yola
18-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Aparently so Yola.
http://www.2ndchance.info/zoonoses.htm
Well certainly with things such as worms, camphylabactor and such like.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Please remind me why I share my life with 3 such disgusting and disease-ridden creatures (LOL) ;) Could be most of my 'viruses and illnesses' are caused by my delightful furry friends? Seeing as it's me that that brushes them, wipes their eyes/bums and generally ministers to them it figures that it's nearly always me that is ill with something or other. AND I'm scrupulous about hygiene and disinfecting everything in sight when either they or we have tummy upsets.

Wouldn't be without them for the world though :-D