PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting in rescue

Phoenix
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
One of the rescue cats (Whisper - black and white female) has been vomiting all week. She's hardly eaten anything and been drinking like a horse (gulping large amounts of water) but been bringing back up anything she takes. She's been really lethargic as well, usually she's in every other cats cages trying to pinch their food. :(

So far the vet has seen her and has started her on medication, her diet will be changed as well.

Her temperature is normal, but she certaintly isn't well. She hasn't shown any other symptoms.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what might be going on?:? :(

farthing
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
How old is she.
Candy our cat has developed IBD at the age of 11. Apparently it affects middle to older age cats and causes sickness, she had normal poops, but wasn't eating well. We put her on zantac and gave her fish, she has now moved onto high meat ready prepared food that has 50-70% meat content and is doing well, she is no longer on zantac unless she starts to vomit again and if things get worse we can try steroids. They diagnosed this by x-rays and blood samples. They did say she could possibly have a diffuse tumour, which would also have the same symptoms and x-rays but her bloods implied it was more likely to be an auto-immune problem.

Phoenix
03-04-2009, 09:09 PM
How old is she.

She's 5 or 6. Don't know if I mentioned she can't even hold water down :(

farthing
03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
She doesn't have a blockage does she, like a hair ball or a foreign body does she.

Phoenix
04-04-2009, 07:31 PM
She doesn't have a blockage does she, like a hair ball or a foreign body does she.

We don't know :(

farthing
04-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Has she had an x-ray or a scan, that would show up any blackages I would think. I hope you can find out what is wrong.

kado
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Has she had her liver tested. Simon was like that at christmas wouldnt eat and threw up anywater he took in.

Phoenix
05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Has she had an x-ray or a scan, that would show up any blackages I would think. I hope you can find out what is wrong.

Has she had her liver tested. Simon was like that at christmas wouldnt eat and threw up anywater he took in.

Not that I know of, but she was at the vets for a long time before coming to us for second attempt at rehoming her ... :(

Elaine
05-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd say the rescue really need to get her into the vets asap.

pinklizzy
05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd say the rescue really need to get her into the vets asap.

I agree, if she's unable to keep either food or water down she could become severely dehydrated very quickly, she needs i/v fluids to correct this and support her internal organs. It sounds to me as if she needs comprehensive blood work which would pick up any kidney or liver problems as well as looking for any signs of infection and x-rays/scans to check for any kind of intestinal blockage.
I hope she can be seen again quickly.