PDA

View Full Version : whooping cough in the news (today)

smudgley
30-03-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5071703/Cases-of-forgotten-diseases-whooping-cough-and-scarlet-fever-on-the-rise.html

Moli
30-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Seems all the old diseases are coming back, have not heard of whooping cough since I was a kid...

dandysmom
30-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Very interesting, Smudgley! Sounds as if your instincts were right. Scarlet fever is an awful disease, my Mum's younger sister died of it in the early 1900s.......

angieh
30-03-2009, 10:56 PM
I had whooping cough as a child. Went into hospital with suspected polio and came out with whooping cough.

dinahsmum
31-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Do you think we are all getting a bit complacent and thinking - No need to vaccinate; that disease isn't around any more?
I had whooping cough when I wa svery little. I don't think I can remember it - possibly coughing till I was sick but maybe I just 'remember' that because I was told of it?

angieh
31-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I think we as a society need to remember that viruses are far more robust that we are. They will never be gone completely.

dandysmom
31-03-2009, 04:15 PM
That's true. Polio is still around in some countries. But isn't smallpox completely eradicated now?

angieh
31-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Yes, statistically it is! I found an interesting website that gave a warning, saying:

"WARNING! EXTRAPOLATED STATISTICS ONLY! Not based on data sources from individual countries."

I always thought statistics were tricky things!!!

MrsH
31-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I had my children in the 70s when it was "fashionable" not to vaccinate against whooping cough. One night I was baby-sitting for neighbours whose little boy was coughing quite a lot. When the parents came back and we talked about the coughing, they thought he might have caught whooping cough from his cousin. Yep, he had!

The result was that I too caught it and passed it to my two, aged 2 and a half and 10 months old. Not a nice experience, three of us coughing, going blue in the face and getting no sleep. Apparently it was just about the only thing I didn't get as a child!

dandysmom
31-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I had measles, chicken pox and German measles, escaped mumps and whooping cough. Only vaccination we had back then was smallpox.

yola
31-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Never had whooping cough - it's something that has always had a terror for me, maybe because I was very asthmatic as a child. Vaccination was in full swing then and my Mum made sure I have everything going! The polio vaccine was just out (the foul tasting syrup on a sugar lump) but I DID catch mumps, measles and chickenpox but thankfully none did any lasting damage.

TB is also becoming very prevelant now - we had the BCG jab as secondary school but not sure if the new strains are resistant to that or not.