PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feed raw ?

mattde
25-03-2009, 09:19 PM
After having some discussion about cat food in another thread I though I would ask if anyone feeds raw meat to their cat?

Leesy
25-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Matt it`s me again, that is one route I am seriously contemplating going down, I have over the last few months done quite abit of research about it and I think it would be a good idea for them both but especialy for Maxi with his problems.
I have already got a stash of whole raw rabbit meat (sorry for any rabbit owners, I do love rabbits as well) it is meant to be really good for them though:( I have just held off really giving it to them properly until Maxi has another clear sample( don`t want to tempt fate).
They have had some and Maisy wholfs it down she loves it but Maxi just has a nibble and then walks away not to interested:roll: :roll: , but will keep trying.

random
25-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I feed mine raw chicken wings a couple times a week but not a full raw diet. Same with the dogs although they get a bit more than just wings.

mattde
25-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Hay Leesy, yes I'm also contemplating this route.
I've been told that small chicken wings are good, the bones in them will brush their teeth. I'm a little cautious of this as I'm worries about bones and my cats choking, but after all its fairly natural for cats to eat bones. Next time we have fish or steak I'm going to test it on M&M before I cook it. Then i might move up to chicken wings.

mattde
25-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I feed mine raw chicken wings a couple times a week but not a full raw diet. Same with the dogs although they get a bit more than just wings.

Hay Random, you beat me to it , hehe :-)

random
25-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Hay Random, you beat me to it , hehe :-)

Hehe, you have to be quick to catch me! :-D

smokytopaz
25-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I have read about this, but the thing that makes me think it would be good is that it is harder to eat than normal cat food. It would take longer and therefore be more entertaining. Indoor animals get bored!

Except, I can also see it being messy.

Now do I really want raw chicken wings being carried around the house?

dinahsmum
26-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Have a look at this (http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=18653&highlight=Bentley+chicken+wings) thread, where you will find a fairly poor quality video clip of Bentley demolishing a chicken wing, whilst he was still pretty young.
They love them!
Yes, you will need to wash the kitchen floor after.
You can also give rabbit joints (sorry bunny owners) or lumps of 'tough meat' - a piece of sinewy shin of beef for instance, or a lamb's heart.
All serve the same purpose - food, exercise, teeth scouring and entertainment.

(I was a little apprehensive at first - those bones! - but they just get those teeth and jaws working on them. If they were in the wild and fortunate enough to catch a rabbit or pigeon they'd eat the lot - not request that someone fillet it first)

ajshep1984
26-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I feed my two a completely raw diet, can't recommend it highly enough.

Elaine
26-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I dont feed raw to mine but did consider it for a while. I tried them on chicken wings and they weren't that interested at all.

smokytopaz
26-03-2009, 10:46 PM
When you say you feed raw, is it always things with bones or is it sometimes mince? Or a boneless chop?

I must go on a net search and find out what consists of a good raw diet.

Leesy
27-03-2009, 12:06 AM

Hi ajshep1984 as you might have noticed from my posts a raw diet is what I want to feed my 2 on, so I was just wondering what you feed yours on and can you give me any pointers.
Thanks.

mattde
27-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Can you give me a typical weeks menu.
Do you only feed twice a day ?

mattde
27-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi ajshep1984 as you might have noticed from my posts a raw diet is what I want to feed my 2 on, so I was just wondering what you feed yours on and can you give me any pointers.
Thanks.

Beat me to it again :-)

Leesy
27-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Beat me to it again :-)

LOL:lol: Matt that is what us women are good at;)

Elaine
27-03-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.php
http://cats.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/rawfooddiet.htm
http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/natural-pet-feeding-guide/natural-feeding-faqs.php

A few links that might interest you Matt.

smokytopaz
27-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Went on a little net search..... apparently you can buy deep frozen mice! (for snakes??) anyway lots of stuff on raw.

Thought I would experiment on Koko tonight so I sliced a lump of meat off a pork loin slice and gave it to her. Well the tail went like a bottle brush and there was much dancing, prancing and dashing going on. She got really excited!

I turned away for a moment, and when I looked back, both she and the lump of meat had vanished.

I have found it. It didn't looked chewed at all, but it was a lovely toy!

Chicken wings might be more appealing.

Off to wash the kitchen floor!

Elaine
28-03-2009, 09:21 AM
I might be wrong but I always thought that you shouldnt feed raw pork.
http://ukbarfclub.co.uk/natural-feeding-tips/natural-feeding-for-cats.php

smokytopaz
28-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Dear lor, trust me to do it wrong! Well she didn't eat it just pranced around it and played with it. I did in the end put it in the bin!

mattde
28-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the reply's everyone.
M&M have just had a raw sardine :-) they seemed to enjoy it.

Next its steak :-)

dandysmom
28-03-2009, 04:42 PM
My Siamese boy was the only one who liked raw: used to give him inexpensive steak and lamb kidneys. The others proved uninterested in any raw food.

calismum
28-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I have never tried to feed raw food - think after reading this, the prevoius post about raw food and some of the links etc, I will get some chicken wings and see if my two like or not.

dandysmom
28-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm just as glad none of the others liked raw: cutting lamb kidneys into bite sized hunks was not a favorite chore of mine (yuk!) while my boy was doing, as BM calls it, "the dance of the starving cat" around me!

And Leia. Ms Picky, thinks food comes in tins!

calismum
28-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm just as glad none of the others liked raw: cutting lamb kidneys into bite sized hunks was not a favorite chore of mine (yuk!) while my boy was doing, as BM calls it, "the dance of the starving cat" around me!

And Leia. Ms Picky, thinks food comes in tins!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

za9za00
29-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I feed all of mine raw. They get chicken (wings, legs, carcass) Wild Rabbit, beef, lamb, sardines, mackerel. Their favourite at the moment are pig tounges.

Andrew

dandysmom
29-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Andrew, I never thought about raw fish. How do you feed it to them....skin and de-bone it first?

mattde
30-03-2009, 08:48 AM
M&M enjoyed raw sardines , i just removed the main spine the little bones went down ok.
I gave them some fresh tuna steak yesterday , that didn't go down well. They wouldn't touch it till i pan fried it for a few seconds. :-)

mattde
30-03-2009, 08:51 AM
I feed all of mine raw. They get chicken (wings, legs, carcass) Wild Rabbit, beef, lamb, sardines, mackerel. Their favourite at the moment are pig tounges.

Andrew

legs and carcass , wow make sure you keep them well feed as they might just come after you next.

Thats a good selection of food , how does it work out cost wise?

mattde
31-03-2009, 07:38 PM
So far M&M have had

Sardines
Fresh Tuna - They prefer this lightly pan fried lol
now Aberdeen Angus Sirloin Steak , only a few chucks as its for me :-)
Next maybe lobster or scallops, wild boar lol

Elaine
31-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Dont forget the organ meat, they need that for the taurine.

mattde
31-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Some liver / kidney maybe :-)

Elaine
31-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Liver, kidney, heart etc.
http://www.celestialpets.com/cat_dog_recipe.shtml
http://www.animalsnaturally.co.uk/nutrition/nutrition_intro.html

Elaine
31-03-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.asurequality.com/resources/pdf/Animal_health_welfare/the_benefits_and_risks_of_feeding_raw_meaty_bones_ vetscriptv2.pdf
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/raw-meat-debate-should-you-feed-it-to-your-dog/page1.aspx

There are risks to feeding a raw food diet too, I am still uncertain in which direction to go with this to be honest.

smokytopaz
31-03-2009, 09:25 PM
My goodness these cats eat better than me. I thought there was a credit crunch!;)

dandysmom
31-03-2009, 10:14 PM
My goodness these cats eat better than me. I thought there was a credit crunch!;)

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

smudgley
01-04-2009, 07:22 AM
There are risks to feeding a raw food diet too, I am still uncertain in which direction to go with this to be honest.

Read about Neospora, nasty horrible condition.

Elaine
01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Read about Neospora, nasty horrible condition.

Haven't heard of that Smudgley but thanx, am off to find out more right now.

Elaine
01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.naturalholistic.com/handouts/neospora.htm

Thanx again Kelly.

farthing
01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think I would give a raw food diet to my cats. Having a cat with toxoplasmosis and seeing how it has affected him, I certainly wouldn't want to increase the risk of my cats catching Toxo, Neospora ( which is similar to toxo) and salmonella by feeding raw.
I know they can get some of these things from eating mice, but I still wouldn't want to increase the risk.

I would also be interested to know if these diets have been properly tested. Cats are now living to over 20, this must be partly due to a better diet as well as vet treatment. I would be interested to hear if there is any real scientific evidence that these diets are better long term?

smudgley
01-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Neospora is thought to be mainly caught through raw meat, however I've seen puppies with it that have never had any meat, nor their dam has had any meat.

It's a horrible, nasty thing to see.

We titre test all our breeding bitches for Neospora & anyone with a hgh titre count isn't bred from.

za9za00
02-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Andrew, I never thought about raw fish. How do you feed it to them....skin and de-bone it first?

Nope leave the skin on and the bones it. My lot won't eat the heads though.

legs and carcass , wow make sure you keep them well feed as they might just come after you next.

Thats a good selection of food , how does it work out cost wise?

Costs me about 20p per cat per day.

Dont forget the organ meat, they need that for the taurine.

Popular mis-conception Taurine is in high abundance in muscle meat, especially heart (classed as muscle for feeding) and in lower quantities in Organ meat. Organ meat is needed for other essential vitamins and minerals especially vit B12

Some liver / kidney maybe :-)

They get between 5 and 10% organ, liver, kidney, spleen etc.

[URL]

There are risks in all types of food. Hundreds of cats and dogs died and potencially thousands were made ill by pet food contamination in the US 2 yars ago. The same contamination was in chinese baby milk. Someone tryig to make more money by artificially increasing the protein levels in petfood ingredients with melamine.

If you use basic food hygine methods there is little or no risk. There is as much risk of your cat / dog contracting salmonella from dry food as there is from a raw diet.

Neospora is thought to be mainly caught through raw meat, however I've seen puppies with it that have never had any meat, nor their dam has had any meat.

Proper term is Neospora caninum and it affects dogs and cattle (from my basic knowledge of animal nutrition cows don't eat meat) the general concensus is that this like the cat version Toxoplasmosis (similar parasites) are passed on through feces.

dandysmom
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
VERY informative. I'm not considering a raw diet, sure this is most helpful to those who might be. Thanks.

smudgley
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
If you use basic food hygine methods there is little or no risk. There is as much risk of your cat / dog contracting salmonella from dry food as there is from a raw diet.

Really?

Proper term is Neospora caninum and it affects dogs and cattle (from my basic knowledge of animal nutrition cows don't eat meat) the general concensus is that this like the cat version Toxoplasmosis (similar parasites) are passed on through feces.

I am aware of the proper term & noone really knows how its passed on. Yes it is mainly seen in dogs & cattle, but it has been seen in cats. It has not been researched enough for anyone to understand too much about it, but it is well known that it is thought to be contracted through eating raw meat, however I have seen dogs with it that have never had raw meat.

ajshep1984
06-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks.

For muscle meat chicken and turkey primarily (all parts as it works out cheaper to buy a whole bird and break it up into meals, same with duck) also beef, lamb, pork, rabbit and duck. Lamb and ox heart, chicken, pork and lamb liver, they won't eat kidneys. They also have an egg (scrambled but raw) once or twice a week between them and they catch their own whole prey fairly regularly. :lol:

I don't feed any supplements. They do have mince but only when they steal it off the dogs. :shock:

Can you give me a typical weeks menu.
Do you only feed twice a day ?

I feed them first thing in the morning and last thing at night and any time inbetween when they ask for it which is usually one or twice a day (each). There's not really a typical menu other than that they get chicken and turkey regularly.

ajshep1984
06-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Nope leave the skin on and the bones it. My lot won't eat the heads though.

Costs me about 20p per cat per day.

Popular mis-conception Taurine is in high abundance in muscle meat, especially heart (classed as muscle for feeding) and in lower quantities in Organ meat. Organ meat is needed for other essential vitamins and minerals especially vit B12

They get between 5 and 10% organ, liver, kidney, spleen etc.

There are risks in all types of food. Hundreds of cats and dogs died and potencially thousands were made ill by pet food contamination in the US 2 yars ago. The same contamination was in chinese baby milk. Someone tryig to make more money by artificially increasing the protein levels in petfood ingredients with melamine.

Good post! :D

onekidney
10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Never tried that, but our 5 like hearts and kidneys, which we boil cook before giving too them.

smokytopaz
10-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Koko obviously feels that raw meat is a toy but not really food. She just plays with it - chicken wings, lamb chop, liver,,,,,,, tried em all raw, not a huge amount just a corner off what I was cooking.

She likes Whiskas and RC biscuits!

dandysmom
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Koko obviously feels that raw meat is a toy but not really food. She just plays with it - chicken wings, lamb chop, liver,,,,,,, tried em all raw, not a huge amount just a corner off what I was cooking.

She likes Whiskas and RC biscuits!

Leia feels the same the few times I've given her a bit to try. "Food comes in tins, Mom!"

smokytopaz
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Just a sophisti-cat then?

dandysmom
10-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Just a sophisti-cat then?

:-D Well, she is Princess Leia ..........

nomadicbry
21-08-2009, 01:30 PM
We are planning on feeding teh kitten raw. Currently her diet is 70% raw. when given a choice of raw or catfood she alwyas picks the raw first

We tend to give her chicken wing and fish, sprats and sardines etc which she loves

Being a family of vegetarians I have tio admit I'm not at all comfortable with having dead animal flesh in my kitchen but as cats are obligate carnivores we feel by feeding raw we are giving her the best diet and we can control the source of teh meat we give her. That is I wont but battery/barn raised chickens or fish caught in an unsustainable manner. I'm still learning as we simply never had to deal with such questions before but it's an interesting exercise and the kitten seems to be thriving on the raw diet which we are hoping to increase to 100% after we've got through all the free cat food we got from people.

I can't see any problems with a raw diet especially if you do your research first... Right I'm off to buy some organ meat for the blood thirsty little one to see how she take to that

I found this website quite useful. it is a tad fundamentalist but is packed with good info:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

Cheers,
B

SageCat
22-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm finding this thread fascinating! I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even know you could feed raw meat to cats! It's just never occurred to me. The link in the previous post is excellent, so I'll be doing more research ................. and chewing it over! :cat20

Daisy-Doo
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi :)

If anyone's interested in feeding a raw diet to cats' there's a UK raw feeding group, specifically for cats on Yahoo groups. It is just about raw feeding and not a group for discussing anything else. It's only been open a few months, and it's quiet due to there not being many members as yet. The owner (who also runs the 'raw feeding dogs' group - Britbarf - some of the dog raw feeders here, may be aware of the group) is considering closing the list due to lack of interest. Which I think would be a shame, as I'm not aware of another UK based one.
I'm quite sure there is a market for such a group, but so many people are put off the idea of feeding raw to cats, because they're told that it's really complicated and they'll need to be super careful to get it right. It really isn't as complicated as many think. I'm still in the process of switching my cats over completely, but the delay is down to their fussiness, and not my fear of not getting it right.
I've fed ferrets on raw and whole prey for a little over 2 years now, and will feed the cats the same way. They're both obligate carnivores and would eat a similar diet in the wild - small rodents, rabbits etc

So, if anyone wants to give raw feeding a try the group is here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/britbarf-cats/

SageCat
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I gave YumYum some raw fish this morning. Is it OK to give fish raw? At first she just took a few nibbles, but then went back and ate the whole lot!

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Raw fish is actually REALLY bad for cats on a regular basis. As a treat a couple of times a month is fine. Elaine has shown a really good link before on this, scroll down a bit to see section dealing with fish. www.messybeast.com/bad-foods.htm.
This raw food feeding is not as easy as some on the thread has made out :? There are soooo many pitfalls and mistakes that can be made. Owner beware!!!!

SageCat
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks Catwoman. I was thinking of only using it as a treat as it hasn't got all the nutrients a cat needs. But thanks for the 'heads up'. I'll have a look at the site. :D

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Your welcome! Though I would cook the fish lightly in future, the reason is clear in the link. :D

SageCat
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Yep ................ I've just read your link. Very interesting, so thanks again for that. :D The next time I give her fish, I'll cook it! Should have gone with my gut instinct which was to lightly cook it.

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Yep ................ I've just read your link. Very interesting, so thanks again for that. :D The next time I give her fish, I'll cook it! Should have gone with my gut instinct which was to lightly cook it.

Great minds eh? ;)

SageCat
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/SageCat1/yes513.gif One should always listen to one's inner voice! :lol:

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/SageCat1/yes513.gif One should always listen to one's inner voice! :lol:

Indeed Sage cat indeed! Lol...
I can see why people are drawn to raw feeding, there is alot of rubbish/ harmful rubbish put into commercial cat foods. But raw is not without its own complications, and often have far worse consequences.
I like your style, dip your toes in the water to test before diving in! Very sensible :D

Raggylady
10-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi All,
I find this thread very interesting. I have 3 dogs and the 2 youngest (Poodles) are fed on raw tripe. Leo goes nuts when they are fed and have often wondered if it would be ok to give him a little bit of it.
When you start to feed a chicken wing do you just leave it with them for a few minutes and then take it away, or just let them eat what they want? Worried about upsetting his tummy. He is a Ragdoll (my first) and I have been told that they have sensitive stomachs.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda & Leo

Wilki31
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
We feed our cat raw chicken breast (recommended by our vet) and raw fish and loves both. Our cat loves sprats, eyes, bones and all! We also give her regular cat food (not in the same meal I hasten to add).

She did help herself to two FROZEN chicken breasts not long ago just after eating her normal breakfast of a pouch of Felix Senior. Needless to say she didn't need any tea!

Brigoose
16-09-2009, 12:26 AM
To those of you uncertain on what to feed your cats raw wise i really recommend the book 'natural nutrition for dogs and cats by kymythy R.schultze'

There are two big pointers i can already think of from just reading some of this thread.

Always feed species appropriate, ie. not pig,cow,horse,shark etc.

Organ meat in limited amounts!

Most cats mainly will eat mice,rats,small birds, sometimes larger birds such as piegons and occasionally rabbits. Most people compensate this by chicken and turkey necks, if you dont want to find someone/dont know anyone who will sell or give you piegons,rabbits and rats this is the next best thing.

The quality of the meat is very important, think of how easily we can catch diseases and illnesses from not handling meat correctly. Know your supplier, know how fresh the meat is!
Think back to nature, a cat would kill its meal( okay maybe play with it for a while first) and then eat it, still fairly fresh, warm. room temperature if you like, not just out of a fridge or freezer. hopefully its meal has been running/flying around eating various grasses,herbs,seeds and insects.
Not fed plastics/hormones/anti biotics/its own kind etc (you get the idea!) and been shut up in a tiny cage sat in its own excrement and had masses of andrenaline pumping around its body hours before it was killed. and then stored(frozen) for god knows how long.. everytime food gets frozen some of its nutritional value is lost.

I know that not everyone can manage to buy wild organic £££ etc but i think it just helps to know, to have it at the back of your mind, to think about the food( i mean you are already by considering rawfeeding!) and the quality of the meat, how you feed it etc and if you dont think the meat is very good quality, that the animals might not of been given all the nutrients they needed, then find out about supplementing your cats diet ontop of the meat to make up for all the nutrients lost that would be available in other forms of meat.

I think it is wise to purchase a book on it, that or to speak to someone who has had knowledge of feeding their cats raw, who has fed over a few years.

Because its not just as simple as slinging them a chicken leg( well it is..but it isnt!)

PaulaB
20-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Can you give hints on getting 3 cats on to a raw food diet? The mum will eat anything raw (found that out when a chicken drumstick walked out of the kitchen one day but her son and daughter are a bit wimpey about the whole thing.

charliebubs
20-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Paula

If you don't start them from a young enough age they won't do it.

I do feed mine some raw food, but not their entire diet.

Only 2 of mine will eat raw though.

I'd start with a raw chicken wing each. To make it more appealing (i.e. smell tasty) you can put it in a bowl of boiling water for a few seconds. Not long enough so that any of it "cooks" as that's when the bones become brittle and dangerous........just long enough to release a smell that they won't be able to resist.

You might find that the first time they just lick the wing, rather than attempt to eat it.

Just keep persevering. Chicken wings are very good for their teeth etc :)

lesleyo
20-05-2010, 12:04 PM
i have been trying to change my 2 over for a few weeks now, if i put the meat in their bowls they are not interested. but if they can steal it from the dog, they are more than happy!!

i now leave some out in order for them to steal it, and this way i can slowly convert them.

lesleyo
28-05-2010, 07:49 AM
i found this site http://www.schimmelorientals.com very informative.

Darwin
14-08-2010, 11:40 AM
i found this site http://www.schimmelorientals.com very informative.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Crikey! Her poor husband and cats & dogs.

Information re Schimmel Orientals

Please note that as of August 2010 Schimmel Orientals are no longer breeding.

Originally it was reported on here that Kat had to return home for a family matter. Unfortunatly this was only posted at the time as no one really knew why she had indeed returned home.

On Thursday 15th July, after taking her disabled husband down to Hampshire, she left him stranded and drove back home, packed her bags and left. It was not until 8.30pm that night that she then sent a text message to say she was on board a plane and heading back to Aus.

She left all the cats, kittens and dogs unattended and caused numerous other problems in what was a clearly calculated departure desgined to cause as much stress and havoc as possible. She has since had very limited contact by text message but has made it clear that she no longer has any interest in any part of the life she created in the UK over the last ten years, and has no intention to return at any time in the near future. She will not be missed by anyone who knew her following the manner at which she left everyone else to clear up the mess behind her, not to mention the distress and shock she has caused to her already very ill husband.

All the Schimmel cats and kittens have now been rehomed with loving families thanks to a wonderful effort by a number of breeders and friends.

To all those that assisted in rehoming these animals along with everyone who ever gave a schimmel fur baby a home over the years we would like to say a big thank you.

tishmez
16-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Thats very sad reading, I did look at that site earlier in the year and it was full of instructions and guides on how to feed cats raw.

I slowly converted my two over a period of months, found a meat they enjoyed ie ate without hesitation, and fed that for a couple of days before introducing another type. They are now totally raw fed and are looking very healthy.

It is a slow process with some cats, they are quite stubborn, but even my friends 10yr old has started on raw and is enjoying it, so there is hope for everyone :)