PDA

View Full Version : Really fed up :(

Erin
24-03-2009, 11:49 AM
I went to my Dr's a few weeks ago to ask for Champix tablets to help me quit smoking, (have tried the patches,gum etc and havent been able to quit on the) anyway, the doctor I saw said that he couldnt prescribe me champix untill ive tried Zyban.
I had heard bad things about Zyban and really didnt want to use them, but there was no way he was going to prescribe Champix untill I had tried and failed on Zyban :( A friend of mine is a nurse and runs the quit smoking clinic in her hospital, I told her this and she said it was a load of rubbish, she said at her clinic they prescribe Champix before Zyban, not only because Champix has a higher success rate but the side affects are no where near as sever as Zyban can be.

Anyway I took the Zyban tablets as advised - 1 aday for the first 6 days then 2 a day from the 7th day and smoking for the first 14 days. The first few days they were fine, but from the 4th day of taking them they really started to affect my sleep, I was lucky if I was getting more than 2 hours undisturbed sleep a night. I carried on taking them as this is a common side affect of the tablets. But from day 15 of taking them I really started to feel low and depressed, day 16 (sunday) I felt awful and couldnt stop crying, feeling like this was such a shock to me, as I am the tye of person who looks positively at things and dont let things get to me. The last 12 months for example have been the worst of my life, but I got through it without any depression at all, but thinking about the past 12 months on sunday I fell apart, got very anxious and for the first time since last march I felt as though I was not able to cope (there's still alot that needs sorting) :(

I went back to the doctors today, I saw a different doctor to who I saw before, he has taken me off the zyban. He mentioned Champix, when I told him that they were what I originally wanted, but was told I couldnt untill I had tried and failed on Zyban, he asked which doctor had told me that, when I told he rolled his eyes. So it looks like I had been told wrong from the start and I could have had Champix. Anyway the doctor I saw today wont prescribe me Champix for at least 2 weeks, untill the zyban is out of my system and my mood has improved.

Im so fed up, I feel as though ive failed at the quitting, even though its not my fault and Ill be going back for the champix in 2 weeks and starting again. It has just really annoyed me that the first doctor I saw, wouldnt give me what I originally asked for and know I feel like absolute trash, and for what?....Nothing,its not as though Ive quit smoking!!

Sorry for the long rant, just feel really naff :(

dinahsmum
24-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry to hear all this Erin
I guess the only way is up, now, though?
Best wishes to you - you're doing the right thing you know. It'll be worth it in the end.

Mags
24-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Keep thinking positive Erin, if you are determined to give up smoking you will get through this bad patch and succeed ...... you will then feel on top of the world at having beaten the habit. You'll also be able to have the occasional treat with the extra £s in your purse and, importantly, you will feel tons better healthwise..

Chin up girl, you can do it!
http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/1.gif

Kazz
24-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Awww Erin a bit of a rough patch is to be expected considering the year you've had and you wouldn't be human if you did not show some emotion...feelings of upset/anger/despair are better in than out. Get a cushion and beat the cr*p out of it.

But you know you haven't failed to quit; you've quit to fail....see the difference putting the words in a different order in your mind makes... ;)

You are a tryer and if you want to stop smoking...then consider yourself a smoker who is not smoking for the next 1/2 hour; hour or day.....step by step.

Chin up old girl...........

smokytopaz
25-03-2009, 10:56 PM
I gave up smoking using Champix, it works if you want it to. You really have to have that in your armour first. Ok it has side effects....
1. It made me feel sick in the morning, so have some breakfast and take it a bit later. That worked for me.

2. Sleep disturbances and/or vivid dreams. Well about week four or five I cut back a bit on the Champix (cut tablet in two and only had half in the evening.

Do not have even one cigarette when you have done, otherwise you are right back where you started. How do I know...... I have had two goes at Champix. :oops:

You really have to be determined to stop for ever!

You will do it, if I did anyone can!

Erin
29-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks guys, Im feelinga little better now the tablets are workin their way out my system. Still struggeling sleeping though, hense me being on here at stupid o'clock in the morning :roll:

I havnt been on in few days cause I lazing around feeling sorry for myself. Think Ive pulled myself out of it now. I honestly never ever want to feel like that again, I just kept thinking that everyone would be much better off without me after the stress I have caused my family over the last 12 months :shock: crazy hey!!! Oh well no point dwelling on it now, time to look forward and hope the Champix suit me better!!!

Mags
29-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Good to hear you're starting to feel better Erin, try to stay with it, you'll feel tons better in the end..;) (((hugs)))x