PDA

View Full Version : If I can't have my treats...

meep
24-03-2009, 10:46 AM
As some of you may know, Darcy has developed a knack for opening the cupboard door to his treats, pulling out the bag and even if they're unopened, wripping them open and eating as many as possible before I find him out. He's started trying to open the door on a daily basis, even 2 or 3 times in a day, and as a result is constantly being told "no! don't be naughty! Darcy!! OUT!"

Well, this had happened for the third time yesterday evening. Heroes was about to start so I got myself three Cadbury's Roses (leftovers from Christmas!) and put them on the coffee table next to me. Had eaten two, was sipping my tea and went to get the third when I realised it wasn't there! Darcy had hopped up on the couch earlier, rubbed around my face, been all lovey-dovey and then without me noticing gone onto the table, picked the chocolate up in his mouth (it was wrapped) and taken it onto the floor! I looked down and saw him playing with it as he would a mouse :roll:

Is it too much of a coincidence or is he being very sneaky and saying "if I can't have my treats, then you can't have yours!"

dinahsmum
24-03-2009, 01:15 PM
No - I think he was just playing. Shiny, crinkley, Roses wrappers are very nice to play with, and the added weight of the choccy still inside would make it an even better toy.
Have you been off to Mothercare to find those cupboard closures that are supposed to stop 3 year old humans and may prevent feline felons too?

meep
24-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Not yet DM, we just keep the kitchen door shut most of the time. Not sure how the cupboard closure will work as the cupboard is write next to the oven and doesn't have a drawer above it so maybe no where to put it...

I do think he was just playing but it was so funny that about 10 minutes after I'd told him "no treats!" he goes and steals my last one! It's the first time he's ever done that, and I've eaten chocolate plenty of times before... Cheeky chappy.

meep
24-03-2009, 01:23 PM
It's also the fact he didn't use his paw to tease it off the table, but quietly and carefully picked it up in his mouth and ran off with it; which he rarely does.

Leesy
24-03-2009, 03:06 PM
LOL:lol: :lol: These cats they are sooooo cheeky aren`t they, there is never a dull moment when they are around:roll:

angieh
24-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Love that Darcy! I can see him playing with your wrapped sweetie - he must have thought it was a mouse in fancy dress. Bet he wondered why his mum was lining up those little mices to eat and not giving him any!!! He is a clever joker that cat. Please give him a big cuddle from me, because his story has made me smile. :D

dandysmom
24-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Made my smile too, I love that clever Darcy! Is there no place you can hide the treats where he can't get at them? I finally outfoxed Leia by putting her tins on the top shelf of the larder .......

meep
24-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm afraid there's no place high enough he wouldn't climb too, and the only other place is the hall cupboard which is too warm.

It's ok really, we keep the kitchen door shut all day. It's only in the mornings and evening when we're making breakfast and dinner. Usually when we've just sat down to dinner and shut the kitchen door without realising he was hiding above the fridge then we hear a few "thumps" of failed attempts at opening the cupboard door then finally the rustle after he succeeds :roll:

It's quite entertaining. It's just he's started doing it a lot more recently. May have to make him go cold turkey from the treats for a week or two.

meep
24-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Angie, I will certainley give Darcy a huge hug for you when I get in; glad to know his cheeky antics made you smile :)

dandysmom
24-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Meep, have you thought of taking the treats out of the original container and putting them in a large tin? With a TIGHT fitting lid? Of course Darcy is so clever he's probably figure out how to get it off, as Leia did ...... :roll:

Cats!!!

meep
24-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Very good idea Eileen! Will definately have to do that. Will pick one up this weekend :) Although he'll probably bash it about an awful lot before giving in.

angieh
24-03-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't suppose a cat would ever be able to open a plastic screw-top jar?

dandysmom
24-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Very good idea Eileen! Will definately have to do that. Will pick one up this weekend :) Although he'll probably bash it about an awful lot before giving in.

Well, that will be good, if noisy, exercise for him! And knowing Darcy, he might manage to open it as my little madam did......:-D

meep
25-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I was surprised at how strong he is! If I'm in bed or on the couch and he doesn't want me to be in bed or on the couch he'll get above me head then push his head under my shoulder and push up with his neck and snout - he can actually move me a little! Very strong big puss. So yes I wouldn't it past him. He'll try his hardest anyhow.

But the screw-top jar Angie, that is good thinking. Lack of opposable thumbs makes it nigh on impossible!

dandysmom
25-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Poor Darcy! His Catsey aunties are conspiring to keep him away from his treats! :-D

meep
25-03-2009, 04:20 PM
He was actually very good last night and didn't make a go for them at all. I changed their dry food around so it was a different flavour and they both really enjoyed the new taste, probably getting fed up of the other one. So maybe a very full tum keeps naughty kitties asleep rather than causing trouble ;)

dandysmom
25-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Ha! Leia doesn't buy that theory! Always room for a little bit more........

But she's foiled for now, thanks to my nice old fashioned 7 foot tall larder!

meep
25-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Would love to invest in one of those, don't know if we have the room :roll:

dandysmom
25-03-2009, 04:38 PM
It is built in, was here when I bought the house. Very handy; old houses don't have enough storage space, or electrical outlets! You should see the one tiny hall closet...barely enough room for my coats, jackets, cannot imagine how a couple would cope!

CathyW
30-03-2009, 04:55 PM
im so glad reggie isnt about to read this thread. dont want him having ideas do i LOL
hes a big enough mooch as it it :)