PDA

View Full Version : Bee's

Kazz
21-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Is it just me or has anyone noticed a marked number of Bee's already this year great big bumble bee's...last year all I reacall is dead ones....so pleased to see them.

alexgirl73
21-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes!! Was just watching a lovely big fat one flying about my garden earlier, and I also saw my first butterfly yesterday :D I so love this time of year!

Elaine
21-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I havent seen any yet but then I dont really have much of a garden....

Mags
21-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes Kazz, I've seen plenty of big ones here too......

dinahsmum
21-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Lots of big fluffy-bums here.
Also butterfies, including one of the dreaded cabbage white!

angieh
21-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes lots of big humblebums here too! Love them.

I wrote a song about bumblebees some years ago. I wonder if I can remember the words...... buzz buzzz buzzzzzz something like that.

dandysmom
21-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Wrong side of the Pond, but it's a bit early here for them. No butterflies yet either, but did see the first robin today!

Kazz
21-03-2009, 05:12 PM
My Robin is back I think he missed me while I was away as soon as I got the spade out he popped up...and stayed all the while I was outside....I know its the worms he likes but I can dream its me.
Yes saw a butterfly today too.

Rockmaiden
21-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Not seen any yet, thank god!

My daughter is scared stiff of them and screams constantly when she see's one.

Leesy
21-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes we have plenty of BIG Bumble bees here they are everywhere and Maxi & Maisy have taken a great liking to trying to catch them, had to rescue about 4 of them today as they had got them pinned under there paws.
I wouldn`t mind but I thought Maisy might have learnt her lesson the other day after being stung by one she had caught, but obviously she hasn`t:roll: :roll: :roll: .

farthing
21-03-2009, 09:59 PM
The big ones are probably queens coming out of hibernation and looking for a good nest site. I saw my first one yesterday, it was like summer here.

dinahsmum
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I heard a really clever way to encourage bumble bees to nest in your garden.
First - take an old teapot (!). Sorry, but the teapot is necessary; I suppose you could easily pick one up at a jumble sale or in a charity shop. It will need a lid, or if it hasn't got it's own lid just fix something across the top opening - maybe an old jar or can lid, taped down.
Anyway, when you've found your teapot, you just bury it in a suitable part of your garden but leave the spout sticking out. Apparently that is just bee-heaven!

dandysmom
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
What a clever idea! Sadly as I'm a bit allergic to bee stings, don't want to encourage them.

Kazz
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Thats a good idea you should tell people that at the allotments...DM....

angieh
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I suppose it would be silly to ask if bumblebees have any preference as to the sort of tea that's been brewed in the teapot beforehand? Orange Pekoe, Lapsang Souchong???? :D :D :D

Or just good old Yorkshire tea (my favourite!)

calismum
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I heard a really clever way to encourage bumble bees to nest in your garden.
First - take an old teapot (!). Sorry, but the teapot is necessary; I suppose you could easily pick one up at a jumble sale or in a charity shop. It will need a lid, or if it hasn't got it's own lid just fix something across the top opening - maybe an old jar or can lid, taped down.
Anyway, when you've found your teapot, you just bury it in a suitable part of your garden but leave the spout sticking out. Apparently that is just bee-heaven!

Do you need to drill a hole to let rainwater out do you think?

It's just we have an old teapot lying in the shed, I'd quite like to give it a go.

dinahsmum
04-04-2009, 08:53 AM
The drainage hole sounds a good idea to me - I hadn't thought about inundation

calismum
04-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, had a look on the internet last night. Other suggestion is to put in some chicken wire in a ball and loosley stuff it with straw. There were also ideas using an upturned clay flowerpot, but buried the same way as you suggested for the teapot.

I'd like to try this and do my bit for protecting this special bee.

dinahsmum
05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Have you seen this news article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8184655.stm) - Natural England is exhorting us all to keep bees!
The company that makes the Eglu chicken house (undersized and overpriced, methinks) is offering a trendy plastic 'Beehaus' at something over £400 :shock: and bees at 0.5 - 1.5pence each! :)

SageCat
06-08-2009, 12:47 AM
I shall try the teapot trick as I love bees. They fascinate me and have loads of folklore surrounding them. I could watch them for hours. Unfortunately I've not seen so many this year as I had last year, but now that I've got loads of marjoram flowering (it self-seeds like crazy and is now all over my garden) they are flocking to it! Normally when my catnip bush is in full flower they used to cover it, but not so this year. It's such a shame that their numbers have been hit so badly. :(