PDA

View Full Version : crocosmia

random
20-03-2009, 05:24 PM
It's not called lucifer for nothing! :shock: Was here when I moved in and I liked it, but being a tall grassy plant and right in the middle of the back border it needed moving, what a hellish job! I hope it survives as it did take a bit of hacking but it's all bulbs so at least some of the millions it seemed like I was digging up should! Anyone else have it?

angieh
20-03-2009, 05:31 PM
It is a shame it's so invasive as the flowers are a great splash of colour in the mid to late summer. I remember my dad took ages to get rid of it in his garden - I don't have any here!

Kazz
20-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I love it but have it contained so to speak dug a large hole and buried a large plant pot minus the base (cut out so it was sides only planted the bulbs in there) contained it from spreading everywhere.

I love it.

Moli
20-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I had it everywhere when I moved in, spent last summer digging it out, but there are so many little bulbs its begining to come up agin....One thing I do not like at all...

angieh
20-03-2009, 05:58 PM
That's an excellent idea Kazz - just like I plant mint!

Rockmaiden
20-03-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't have it but I know my neighbour had a problem getting rid of it in her garden, it spreads like wildfire from I have been told.

dandysmom
20-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I can't keep it! I love it, have planted several times, dies down over Winter, although it's supposed to be hardy here. I wish mine were invasive!

Leesy
20-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Yep I am a lover of crocosmia as well, we have a few clumps of different varietys in our garden.

random
20-03-2009, 08:36 PM
The wee orange one I have in the front is not too bad but it's big red counterpart is another story. :shock:

Kazz what a brilliant idea! I might well do that with the big one.

dandysmom
20-03-2009, 08:47 PM
As Angie said, it works for mint! When I bought this house the back garden was overrun with mint! Took about two years to eradicate it! Mine lives in a pot too.

random
20-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Eileen if I could i'd send you some of my crocosmia, it's madness, I took out about 5 bulbs for my dad and put them in a clear plastic bag when I dug it out (about 3 weeks ago) and he's still not got round to planting them, they have grown however, with being in the warm indoors, they are not even in soil! They are about 10 inches now all curled up in the bag! They haven't even been watered!

dandysmom
20-03-2009, 10:19 PM
What a pity we don't live closer! Tenacious little devils, aren't they? I plan to try them again, just love that fiery red color of Lucifer ... apt name indeed!

calismum
21-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I have loads of it - big fan, agree it can be invasive tho.