PDA

View Full Version : Savlon

onekidney
18-03-2009, 08:15 PM
We had a major upset this week, with lots of tears, but luckily it turned out ok.

Our 4 month old tom kitten, Tidus had been scratching at his ears all weekend. We knew it wasn't fleas as he'd just been done with Frontline. On inspection, we found them to be full of dirt. He's got a lovely habit of burying himself in the litter trays.

On Monday morning we cleaned his ears out with a very dilute solution of Savlon and kettle water. By the evening he was very poorly. Being on benefits we got him straight to our local P.D.S.A, who told us that Savlon is highly toxic to cats.

Thankfully, after a night in their animal hospital on a saline drip to flush the Savlon out and some T.L.C by vets and nurses, he's back home a full of mischief as usual.

My wife and I are very happy and extremely gratefull to the staff at Sheffield P.D.S.A. for saving him. We now know not to use any form of human medicine on cats.:oops:

dinahsmum
18-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Good warning! I'm glad all turned out well.

Any disinfectant which turns cloudy in water - Savlon, Dettol etc - is very toxic to cats

angieh
18-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm so glad that the end of this story is a happy one. The PDSA is an excellent organisation.

smudgley
18-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Savlon contains phenol which is very toxic to cats.
You are extremely lucky.
Glad your cat is ok.

Leesy
20-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Oh I am so glad that your little kitten is OK, I bet you had a real fright.