PDA

View Full Version : apologies and moving advice needed!

mj69
17-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone, firstly i must say big SORRY! I've not been on here alot recently, :oops: I have been mega hectic new job has kinda taken off i've been given extra hours already so don't have much free time...

Anyway i could do with some advice from all you kind peolpe out there, We have found a house and are due to move in a couple of weeks hopefully if it all goes through ;) so i'm stressing out about Jack......

1 What is the best way of getting him to settle easily....I bought one of those plug in things sorry cant remember the name:roll: felaway i think! should i start using that here or there or both?

2 How do i go about letting him out? ( i dont want him running off)

3 Someone suggested a litter tray and keeping him shut in the house for 2 weeks:shock: :shock: will it be easy to get him to use it? he's used to coming and going as he pleases...is this a good idea:?

HELP :smt100 we have worked so hard over the past 6 months with him as some of you will know he's finally accepted Max (the dog) and Max him! they are both sleeping in the kitchen together no need for the safety gate anymore... I terrified that when we move we are going to go back to square one again......

All and any advice would be great..

dinahsmum
17-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Hello again.
Congratulations on the job and the impending move.
I hope Jack will be fine. After being semi-abandoned before he ought to realise which side his bread is buttered and stick with what he knows. It's great that he and Max are fine now.
He should definately stay in for a few days and I think 2 weeks is often given as the best time. That's difficult with older and more independent cats though.
If he is indoors for a while and uses a litter tray put scoops of the used litter out in your garden - it acts as a scented beacon for him, to recognise the smell of home.
A Feliway might help him chill (I think he's fairly chilled anyway, isn't he? But it could help him relax for his 'imprisonment')
You could get a hankie and rub it on his 'eyebrows' and then rub the hankie round the walls, door frames atc, at cat-nose height, to get his own smell around the place and make him feel at home.
When you do let him out for the first time, make sure he is very hungry and call him in for his tea after a short time.
Whenever we have moved cats we have noticed that they are very methodical about exploring their new territory and they go around the house in ever-increasing circles - you spot them in the garden, then they disappear for 5 minutes and come back, then go for 10 minutes and reappear again, then 15 and so on. They're not daft!

Elaine
17-03-2009, 05:46 PM
cannt think of anything else to add to Hilary's advice so good luck with the move and congratulations:D

Oh maybe some rescue remedy, a few drops in food/water, also helps calm cats and huimans alike:lol:

dinahsmum
17-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Yup - good old Rescue Remedy!
Make sure you don't swoop up all Jack's bedding and get it sparkly clean for the new house - he's much rather have his comforting 'dirty' bedding, with his familiar smell on it :)

mj69
18-03-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks for that, i'll try the litter tray tip, should i buy one and try to get him used to it been around before he is forced to use it....i've no idea how to go on with that...and will he just go in there with no help from me? does the litter have a scent then to encourage them to go! sorry to be a pain

mj69
19-03-2009, 05:06 PM
hi all, just found out we should get the keys next week and plan to move in 3-4 weeks when our lease is up on this rented house...

think i best get jack's stuff sorted out sooner rathe than later

dinahsmum
19-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I think cat litter is attractive to them in some way.
If you spot him using somewhere outside before you go, you could scoop up a trowel full of the anointed soil, or indeed the ...... well, you know, to be put in the litter tray to reinforce that is the place to 'go' for the moment.
However, in amongst the joys of house move, maybe a plastic bag of wee-ey or poopy soil, is one item too many to be responsible for!
But ... having the keys shortly and not having to do it all in one day may just give you time to organise something.

CathyW
19-03-2009, 11:17 PM
our 2 are masters at moving, so far done 5 moves with our boys. the last week b4 u are due to move keep him indoors all the time. get him used to the littertray. oh and btw dogs seem to like investigate litter trays so be warned, also put his carrier in the same room that he sleeps in. he might even sleep in it. my 2 did.
let him investigate everything, all the boxes. cats adore boxes. and u havent had the pleasure of packing with a nosy cat about lol takes twice as long.
the day of the move. put his food and water and litter tray in the bathroom. with a big note on the door saying cat inside do not enter,!!!!
when u get to the new place. put him in the newbathroom, with some dinner n water. plus litter tray. and close door. if anyone has to use the loo. make sure all the doors n windows are shut and quickly open n close the door. by then he will be glaring at u so a quick stroke and a kiss n a sorry. then leave him to it. make sure loo seat is down.
when the movers have gone. and if u can get 1 room sorted (best u can) let him out for a sniff around. he will find a hidey hole no doubt. my 2 did. we kept our 2 indoor for about 2 weeks. i buttered their paws always did. old wives tale, but hey im an ole wife lol
and we have livedhere for well over a yr and so far they have been happy. reggie dont stray far. ronnie is a bit of a roamer.
and good luck with the move. ive done 13 moves in 14 yrs. (long story lol)

mj69
20-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for that advice I think Jack realises where he's well off with all his previous tramas and change of owners so i'm hoping that he will go with the flow.

I like the idea of shuting him in the bathroom i was wondering how to go about making sure he wasn't out and about as his first owners moved and he got left behind!:roll: at least we are not going to far away about a mile I just hope that doesn't cause problems aswell and he tries to come back here:shock:

He doesn't seem to go to far away when he goes out a little way up the road (two houses up garden) and over the little bridge next to our house which leads to the train station! A funny tale there last week i went to post a letter post box is at the station who should be sat on the station platform watching the world go by but JACK! :lol: boys where really concerend he was going to get on a train to meadowhall!:roll: i ask you.. i wish i'd had my camera would have made a good pic

any way that as far as he roams when ever we come home he comes running up to the garage if he's out so can't be to far away. hopefully this will help when we move.

dinahsmum
20-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Great practical advice from Cathy.
As you have children I'd suggest even taping parcel tape or masking tape over the bathroom door, to stop anyone going in without thinking, despite the notice. Our poor cats got shut in the airing cupboard (without the immersion on!) for a couple of hours one move, because that felt like the only safe place for them.

CathyW
20-03-2009, 04:18 PM
mine even got shut in the car once it wasnt warm. so just left them in the cages with some food n water.
the worse 1 to travel with was barnaby he yowled all the way there. if id haqd a roof rack trust me the cage would of gone on there. another time he escaped and he drooled and panicked all the way along the M11. what a mess we was in. and trying to wrap himself around the drivers head is a no-no. so make sure his cage is well secure :)

Kazz
20-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Hiya
I would make sure he wears a collar with a name tag on witha mobile number on and let your present neighbours now know you are moving and give them a contact number in case he wanders back (then they will know he should not be there) a mile is not much to a cat.
Is he microchiped if not now would be a good time, in case he does wander. Keep him safe during the move maybe a room with lock on turn the key in the door and remove the key. Keep him in for at least a fortnight, I would say more and let him out when he is hungry and when you are in the garden/ house he will be fine my two moved twice and I must admit I worried more over them than over the move/sales/furniture etc. The tips on cat litter/scents etc are good, keep his bedding "unclean till the move"

Rockmaiden
20-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I would definately recomend keeping bedding dirty as it will make him feel more at home. Also a mile is nothing to a cat! My cat returned to my previous address 4 miles away every single day after we moved for a week until he realised where his home was.

dandysmom
20-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I've only moved once. The night before I had a friend drive me to the new house with his favorite chair, the litter box with a scoop of used litter; then the morning before the movers were due, carried him there with his food and water and put him in the empty back room with a sign not to open for the movers. Being a Siamese, he screamed bloody murder for the entire time till the movers had left. But explored the house and the familiar smelling furniture and settled really well. He was an indoor cat, only outside on a harness, so I had no experience of a roaming problem. You've goten lots of excellent advice, hope Jack settles in well...and I too believe in the old "butter their paws" theory!

mj69
21-03-2009, 07:32 PM
thanks everyone, our bathroom door does lock with a key so that will be that way to go when we shifting the furniture out, i'll leave is bed alone dispite the urge to wash it.....

he is microchiped so thats a bonus.

thanks for all the good advice will let you know how we get on.