PDA

View Full Version : Still hunting ...

Phoenix
15-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Dylan's STILL hunting rats and eating them! :smt103 :roll:

We know he's going into a neighbour's garage and hunting rats there, also going over to the field behind her next door neighbour's house.

We are concerned about people putting rat poison down, but we can't prevent Dylan from going out and hunting, nor will he wear a collar!

What are the signs to watch for regarding rat poison in cats so if Dylan gets poisoned by eating poisoned rats we can get him to the vet immediately?

Elaine
15-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Pets can be poisoned by many things from chocolate to anti-freeze. There are many signs of poisoning which include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, inco-ordination and collapse. Any pet suspected of poisoning MUST be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

Phoenix
15-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Pets can be poisoned by many things from chocolate to anti-freeze. There are many signs of poisoning which include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, inco-ordination and collapse. Any pet suspected of poisoning MUST be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

Thanks Elaine! If we see any of those signs at any point then we'll take him to the vets

dandysmom
15-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Cats can definitely be killed by eating a poisoned rat. Here's a link that will tell you more....it's very serious and requires IMMEDIATE treatment!

http://www.healingspringsanimalhospital.com/2006_March.htm

Phoenix
15-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Cats can definitely be killed by eating a poisoned rat. Here's a link that will tell you more....it's very serious and requires IMMEDIATE treatment!

http://www.healingspringsanimalhospital.com/2006_March.htm

Thanks for the link DM - just printed it off so we've got it in easy reach just in case!

jan
16-03-2009, 11:54 PM
My cat Smudge used to catch and kill anything that moved and he bought a huge brown rat home once and devoured it outside my back door (much to my horror) . My neighbour had a rat run under his garden shed and the council put poison down and I rang to enquire about if it was safe to let my cat out.(actually you could nt keep him in he would howl.) They put me through to the relevant dept and told me he would need to eat about 4 rats to be in any danger presuming all had been poisoned. Okay that was six or so years ago but reading that link it looks likely they were nt telling the whole truth? Unless they use less potent poison? What a worry though. Jan x

Leesy
20-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I would certainly watch out for any signs, as it is still not certain what my Charkie died of last year, he had on and off over a couple of months sickness, loose stools with blood in, loss of appetite, being lethargic and he was a big hunter always catching and eating mice, the vets thought in the end that it was IBS and had just started treating him for that but in the end it was just to much for him and he passed away.
I have since found out though that the next door neighbours use rat poision to kill the mice that they get in their garden and I am now convinced that that is what he died off, so really keep a watch out for any signs that he may have ingested some.

jan
23-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Leesy,I am so sorry to hear how Charkie passed away and the symptoms he displayed,how terrible for you. Hugs, Jan x

Leesy
24-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks jan, I do soooo still miss him:cry: .