PDA

View Full Version : Staffy

Elaine
13-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I good friend and neighbour of mine has a 6 year old staffy and is moving to New Zealand. Have been trying to help him find a good home for her. Thought we had but it all fell through when the prospective new owners went and got themselves a puppy. Penny is a lovely dog, well mannered and well behaved.
I have been seriously thinking about taking her on myself, problems are 1) G says he isnt a dog person. 2) Penny may chase the cats, would it be fair after we have got Eva this far? 3) Would it be fair to G if I had house sitting jobs on that I couldnt take her with me?
I already know the answers to those questions but wondering if any one had any ideas or suggestions as to how I could work around those.
The owner is getting a little anxious and desperate now as his fiance has been over there since November last year and is becoming very impatient waiting for him. He loves his dog dearly and doesnt want to go before knowing that Penny will be ok.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/DSC00007.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/DSC00005.jpg
I really want to help and good homes are thin on the ground. Do you think I would be able to over come the obsticles? Should I go for it or not?
Your thoughts and suggestions would be apreciated.

Phoenix
13-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Lovely dog Elaine, can't really help you with the decision.:(

You know Eva and Bernie's likes and dislikes better than anyone, so it's a good idea to go with your gut feelings, regarding whether or not Eva and Bernie would be OK with a dog.

Dylan, for example, is scared of dogs. Beauty was at first but as long as she was the other side of the fence she could cope with seeing a dog.

random
13-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Oh isn't she pretty Elaine!

Could you not take her on a trail basis, maybe for a weekend or even a week and see how she gets on?

I don't know how she is with cats (how old is she?) or how your cats are with dogs, I think I remember Bernie was ok when Choc came?

Would she not be able to come on most house sits with you?

If not, what about fostering her whilst a new home is found for her?

Elaine
13-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh isn't she pretty Elaine!

Could you not take her on a trail basis, maybe for a weekend or even a week and see how she gets on?

I don't know how she is with cats (how old is she?) or how your cats are with dogs, I think I remember Bernie was ok when Choc came?

Would she not be able to come on most house sits with you?

If not, what about fostering her whilst a new home is found for her?

She is delightful Random:D
I wondered about a trial basis or fostering but I dont know if G will go for it...
Penny is 6 yrs old. She has chased a few cats in the street, one of which stood it's ground and Penny about turned and ran from it. Bernie, I worry as he seems to be quite trusting, he was very good with Choc and my friends collie pup, but both of those dogs were brought up around cats. I think Eva might explode if she were chased by a dog and I dont want to set her back with all the good progress she has made.
The problem with the house sits are if the owner of the house wouldnt want me to bring my own dog(if I had one). The grey hounds, for example are dog aggressive. Nadia may be ok if I were able to assure her that I wouldnt let any dog into the same room as the birds.

Oh I just dont know, I really want to help Penny and her owner, he would be delighted if I were able to take her but it seems the odds are against us. Too many cons and not enough pro's.

Leesy
13-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh Elaine that is a tough decision to make, and I am afraid that there is only you can make that decision, cats and dogs can make good companions for each other but then again they can hate each other, if you are considering it I would certainly recommend a trail period but then if Eva really hates the experiance it could set her back again.:roll: :roll: , it`s a tough call I am afraid:?

Moli
13-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Only you can decide Lainey, but for what is worth my opinion is, I do not think it would be fair on, Eva, Bernie and lastly Graham, you could not take her with you on house sits....Eva has come on so well these past months, would be a shame to spoil it.....and there is no saying she would adapt to living with cats.....Its really a big commitment to take on...I know you love her, but must think what is best for both you and her....
Have you put a thread on Dogsey for her???

dandysmom
13-03-2009, 11:52 PM
1) Graham is not a dog person
2) Eva is finally getting less stressed
3) You may not be able to take a dog on your house sitting jobs

That says NO to me .......

angieh
14-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm afraid for what my opinion is worth, I'd say no too. It must be very hard to say no to your friend especially as you like the dog - I'm sure we all appreciate how you feel about it.

smudgley
14-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Elaine, you are too kind that's your trouble! :cat21 We all want to help all the animals, but sometimes we have to be realistic & think things through.

If you took her on, it could work, eventually but think of the hard work and stress until you got there.

And if Grahan doesn't want a dog around, then personally I think you should reflect on that and the cats probably wouldn't thankyou for bringing Penny into your home.

I think that you can help your friend by actively helping to find Penny a home, but personally I don't think it would be the right decision for you to take her on.

{Hugs for Elaine}

Elaine
14-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanx for all your input. I think I know that realistically, I am not in a postition to take a dog on at this moment:roll: It's just that I worry that Penny will not get the home she deserves and will end up in a shelter:(
Have put posters around vets etc.

dinahsmum
14-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Have you contacted Scotsbun/Scotbun on Dogsey? She is a star.

Just a thought - why can't the dog go to NZ?

Elaine
14-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Have you contacted Scotsbun/Scotbun on Dogsey? She is a star.

Just a thought - why can't the dog go to NZ?

I'll try that DM, thanx.
Tha accomodation that his fiance is in does not allow pets.
She has also given him until the 1st of April to get over there or it's all off between them. It's a sad state of affairs as he really wants to be with her and start a new life over there, who wouldnt but on the other hand he also loves his dog very much too and wont go unless he is sure she will be ok.

Elaine
14-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I cannt post her on Dogsey, it says I dont have enough privelages to post in the dogs needing homes section.:roll:

dinahsmum
15-03-2009, 09:36 AM
PM Az?.....

Moli
15-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I cannt post her on Dogsey, it says I dont have enough privelages to post in the dogs needing homes section.:roll:
I will post on there for you Elaine....
Scotbun/Tracey no longer does Staffie rescue...:?

Moli
15-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Posted it on Dogsey...fingers crossed....!

Elaine
15-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanx Pat xxx