PDA

View Full Version : Current Cats Protection Campaign Leaflet

dinahsmum
13-03-2009, 12:48 PM
(This should maybe be in Debate - Mods please move if you wish)

Well, the leaflet which fell out of the magazine warned to take care in opening as there was graphic material inside. But I did (thinking maybe it was a good advertising 'hook' and the graphic material would be photogenic kitties prompting me to empty me purse). It wasn't - it's pretty nasty.

I'm not naive, I know bad stuff happens but reading nasty stories doesn't make me any more likely to donate. In fact, it's likely to make me avoid material from that source for a while.

Am I alone in this attitude? I suppose CP have done their research and are content that the leaflet (It's the Alice one) will be cost effective. I'm not criticising them - just wondering what other people think?

angieh
13-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I have had 2 mailshots of this particular leaflet and I heeded the warning - being fairly squeamish especially when it comes to cats and kittens. Sure I know it happens which I why I have the utmost respect for most vets, vet nurses and CP people who help the poor animals.

Of course because I heeded the warning, I didn't open the leaflet and therefore am less likely to donate any money to their appeal. I suppose it is a difficult dilemma, a charity has to persuade people that their money is needed and put to good use but I am afraid that I agree with DM.

yola
13-03-2009, 02:28 PM
It's a dilemma I recently struggled with. I found some sad - but not horrific images of a blind street cat and considered using this when designing my leaflet last week. But in the end to reinforce the message of a 'happy neutered cat' I dediced to just stick with a neutral tabby cat image.

I personally wouldn't use extreme images because I think it does turn people away short and long term.

alexgirl73
13-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I haven't seen this! Is it a leaflet local to you DM or countrywide?

dinahsmum
13-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Nationwide.
It was loose inside a gardening magazine. I tried to google a link to it but didn't have any success finding it online

Elaine
13-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I havent seen the leaflet but I feel the same as you DM tbh.
I think advertisers feel that the more hard hitting the pictures, the more hard hitting the message therefore the more likely to get a donation.
Maybe they have had alot of success doing it this way and all the very best to them.

janey83
13-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I havnt seen this leaflet and dont want too!
I hate reading about ANY animal gettin hurt, it doesn't just upset me but I remember it for years and years and years after, so therefore I wouldn't open the leaflet and im less likely to donate.

Even just seeing a dead animal in the road upsets me and the mental picture stays with me for ever.

I don't think showing a distressed animal will make many people donate either, probably more like seeing a fluffy little cute thing would though.

dandysmom
13-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I agree with all of you! The pictures are counterproductive, IMO. Our Alley Cat Allies shows pics of happy cats after they've been trapped neutered and released (they work with ferals); that's far more likely to inspire me to write a check.

Phoenix
13-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I've seen the leaflet and tbh I wouldn't donate because of the pictures in the leaflet :(

smudgley
14-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I've not seen it, so can't really comment. Will look out for it though.

random
14-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I've not seen it either but pictures like that do tend to put me off looking at anything to do with said charity for a while, if not for good.

Kim
14-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I received this leaflet with a magazine today. Not too sure how I feel, I suppose they want people to realise how bad the situation is and donate, I understand though that for some this would have the opposite effect. Difficult for CP to get it right. A few years ago at Crufts one of the greyhound charities had a dog there that had had it's ears cut off, to 'get rid' of the tattoo. I got chatting to the people on the stall and the dog had certainly helped people to put their hands in their purses!

I must confess that because of the warning on the CP leaflet I was expecting something really horrific, although it wasn't pleasant, it could have been much worse.