PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy magazines?

angieh
07-03-2009, 03:52 PM
As a National Trust member, I get their quarterly magazine and also the RHS monthly magazine. Sometimes if I am in Sainsbury's I buy their magazine because I think it is excellent value. When I was in the vet earlier this week, I was looking at Your Cat - there seemed to be some good articles in there.

Just wondering - do any of you regularly buy or subscribe to any magazines?

calismum
07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I am very much a browse and decide magazine buyer.

I often buy Gardening mags, just whatever seems to have an article I'm interested in. Others I buy now and again would be nature/wildlife, Horse and Hound/Scottish Field. That sort of thing. I rarely buy things like ok, hello, now, closer gossipy type reads - they are all the same and can be read in about 20 minutes.

I subscribe to Which, British Horse Society and quite a few farming/sheep publications.

I get 2nd hand National Geographic which I'd probably subscribe to if I didn't get this from my sister.

dinahsmum
07-03-2009, 04:15 PM
I used to really like magazines when I was young but, other than the odd gardening magazine, or very occasionally the county magazine, I can't be bothered now. Even those which I enjoyed as a mature person (Good Housekeeping etc) now all seem very samey. I think it may be a by-product or gaining years .. nothing seems terribly new or different any more; in fact most things appear very samey (Just like television; I think the last time anything on TV blew me away it was the quirky Life on Mars. I watched the David Attenborough prog with the bears waiting in the river to catch the returning Pacific salmon a couple of weeks ago. It was fabulous in HD but the subject matter I must have seen in B&W decades ago. Ho hum.)
And as for the magazines they sometimes offer me in the hairdressers .....! Aaargh! But I think they know I prefer House & Garden or Good Housekeeping to Hello and OK now :)

*Shuffles off, chewing on her dentures and treading down the heel of her pom-pom slippers* :D

angieh
07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I do agree with you about TV, DM. Loved Life on Mars!

mattde
07-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I subscribe to national geographic magazine, very good read, and excellent photos.
I also buy practical photography most months, and get a quarterly magazine from the BCU about kayaking and canoeing.