PDA

View Full Version : pregnant feral/street cat

Pauline
04-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a v-pregnant street/feral cat now isolated in my house - have had encouragement from my vet to await the births in my home rather than return her to the street but am not sure of any special care needed for non-domestic cats. She is semi-friendly and knows me from street feeding each night in the Spanish pueblo where I live with other abandoned pets, mostly dogs and puppies. I have been around for domestic queens before but this is my first feral mum. Any advice for her tranquility, etc would be appreciaated. Pauline

alexgirl73
04-03-2009, 10:40 PM
wow, well done you taking on this poor mum. I don't have much knowledge but I'm sure others will be able to give you some good advice. I would just do the same as you would for any other queen, give her a sheltered warm spot in which to have the kittens, and lots of quiet. Good luck and keep us updated please :)

angieh
04-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I'd agree with that. Unless you can get her to a vet to see if she is deficient in any particular vitamins, that's really all you can do. All she needs is to feel safe and to have food and water nearby.

Well done to you for taking her in. Please let us know how things progress.

dandysmom
05-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Yes, I agree with the above advice, how good of you to take her in for the birthing. Hope all goes well; do let us know how she and the kits are doing.

Elaine
05-03-2009, 10:06 AM
With respect, why is the vet couraging you to let her have the kittens? I only ask because there are so many unwanted cats/kittens in the world. Is she to be spayed after the birth?
How ever, it is always nice to hear from people who take on strays and try to help them. Keep us posted please.