PDA

View Full Version : Poor Merlin

angieh
04-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Just got back from the vet. Merlin has had antibiotic injection, steroid injection and some further VitB12. If he doesn't pick up within 48 hours I'm afraid that I shall have to have him pts. He was obviously in pain at the vet and he's never made such a fuss.

I knew it was coming, obviously as he is such an old cat. But every time I think about it, my eyes fill with tears.

mattde
04-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Oh no, I hope Merlin picks up. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Juli
04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I do hope that Merlin starts to show some improvement, my thoughts are with you

yola
04-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh Angie love :( I hope with all my heart that Merlin perks up . . . he's done it before and hopefully he can do it again; giving you a little more precious time with your special boy.

Mags
04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Thinking of you Angie, I do hope your special boy can get through this...(((hugs)))

calismum
04-03-2009, 08:03 PM
big hugs from the three of us to both of you. I do hope he perks up.

EmmaG
04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Thinking of you and Merlin Angie :( It is a horrible decision to make but one most of us have to make sometime.

Kim
04-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Thinking of you and really hoping that Merlin picks up. ((hugs))

HappyKatz
04-03-2009, 08:14 PM
So sorry to hear about your sweet Merlin :smt049
I hope that he gets better & is going to be alright *crossing fingers & paws*

Kazz
04-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Angie, I have gone into the better a day to soon thing before.

So will say one thing you know when the time will be because you love him so much. It goes without saying my thoughts are with you.

Elaine
04-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh Angie, I am so terribly sorry chum. All my love and best wishes to you both xxx

Phoenix
04-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh, poor you and Merlin, angieh! :( Hope Merlin can get through this! :(

PoshPuss
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
dear Angie, you love your Merlin so much and will always do what is best for him. I 'm praying he will find strength from his treatment and, if not I'm sending you my heartfelt sympathy to do what is right for the old man. God Bless.

random
04-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Oh Angie I am so so soory, I have nothing to say but sending hugs from me, Anakin and the whole gang.

pinklizzy
04-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Will be thinking of you both Angie, big hugs to Merlin and to you. xxxx

angieh
04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks everyone - your support is invaluable. Merlin has calmed down and has managed to eat a little sensitivity food. He is now asleep in front of the log fire. He is back to his loving self. He was obviously in pain at the vet. The steroid injection and antibiotic will help calm the pain I'm sure. Just have to wait it out.

I've been thinking about the right time to die. In an ideal situation, I would hope that he would pass away in his sleep. Don't we all wish it was like that? Really, the only thing that will make me be sure that pts is right is if he is in pain or distressed. Otherwise I will feel that I am cheating his natural process on the upward spiritual ladder. That's probably gobbledygook, but it's what I feel.

alexgirl73
04-03-2009, 09:27 PM
angie, you will know in your heart when the time is right. Give Merlin a very gentle hug from me, and here's one for you too ((hug)) xx

Moli
04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Hoping Merlin will pick up, thoughts with you Angie...x

dandysmom
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh Angie, just saw this; I am so so sorry. I hope and pray Merlin will perk up and get to enjoy at least one more Spring; if not that he will slip away painlessly in his sleep at home, warm and knowing he was surrounded by love all his long life..... (((hugs)))

Leesy
05-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I have just spotted this thread and I am so sorry to here of Merlins distress to day at the vets, my heart and prays go out to you both, glad he does seem to have settled down and managed to eat a little bit tonight, hope the medication continues to help him improve and get stronger.
Give him a big hug from Me, Maxi and Maisy we will be saying a big big pray for him tonight, are thoughts are with you too Angie Xxx.

dinahsmum
05-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Poor Merlin and poor you angie. I hope the morning brings you some certainty - either that the crisis has passed and he is comfortable and happy, or, sadly, that the time has come to ease him gently from his long and happy life. (he brought home a rat a few days ago! What a life!)
Thinking of you angie, with a tear in my eye. x

meep
05-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh Angie I've just seen this now; I'm so sorry to hear all this. Merlin has always been such a comforting presence, to hear about. The wise cat who watches over all our other pusses in his old age. Does that make sense? It was so lovely to hear that just the other day he brought home a rat for you!

I do hope that you get your wish and that when he does finally leave us, he'll do so peacefully in his sleep. But I also hope he has a wee while longer with you here. All my thoughts are with you and Uncle Merlin x

angieh
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Good news this morning - dear old Merlin has perked up. My brain engaged and I've just got back from the vet having bought him another box of the Sensitivity food. I put some down for him and his head went straight into his bowl and he polished that lot off. My suspicion now is that he had some sort of icky tummy. I told the vet at his last checkup that Merlin had been vomiting white froth in small quantities, but he didn't think that was a problem so I discounted it. I now think it could have been an indication that his tum was out of sorts, although he was having no problems at the other end.

The injections he had yesterday obviously will alleviate any pain for a couple of days and while he is eating and showing no other signs of distress we will continue. I think I may have to re-assess how he seems every day.

Moli
05-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Fantastic to read this Angie, so good to hear he has perked up and eating well....

Mags
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Brilliant news about Merlin, Angie! :D

I wonder if he could have picked up something from that rat he brought home? :?

Leesy
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes that is fantastic news:D , I am so glad to hear that he is so much better this morning:D :D :D

dinahsmum
05-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Good news - long may it continue

meep
05-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Wonderful news, well done Merlin!

Phoenix
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Brilliant news for Merlin! :-D Keep it up handsome boy! :-D

Angie, give Merlin loads of strokes from me please! :-D

random
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Ah, good boy Merlin!

yola
05-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I am delighted to be reading this Angie :D

dandysmom
05-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Happy news, Angie. May it continue!

Elaine
05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
So pleased to read that Merlin seems a bit better today xxx
The white froth is also part and parcel of kidney issues due to the excess tummy acid build up, so he probably would have had an icky tummy.

angieh
05-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Do you know of anything I can give him to help Elaine?

Elaine
05-03-2009, 06:24 PM
You can get an antacid from the vet but my experience of using it with Winston wasnt a possitive one. I swear by slippery elm bark for a multitude of things and found it to really help Winstons tummy acid under control.
You can get it from Holland and Barret, just make sure you get the one with no clove or cake fillers added to it.
You can make a syrup out of it or simply sprinkle it onto food. It does have a slight bitter taste and not all cats will take it on their food. I prefered the syrup method and used to syringe aprox 2 mls into the corner of his mouth twice daily. Others swear by pepcid ac but I'd be advised by the vet on that one as ingredients change often as do doses.

angieh
05-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks Elaine. I remember you saying before about the Slippery Elm - I'll see if he will take it.

calismum
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I am just so pleased to hear that he has perked up a bit. Long may it continue for him.

CMx

pinklizzy
05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
So glad to hear that Merlin has perked up Angie!

PoshPuss
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
So pleased to read that Merlin has perked up. Happy for you Angie :)

mattde
06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Hope Merlins on the mend now :-)

Natalie
06-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow Ange...I have just been through a rollercoaster of emotions jsut reading this thread. Fantastic news about Merlin...He is such a wonderful, special and brave boy.

Give him a very gentle chin tickle from Cousin Welsh Merlin xxx

jan
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Angie,
so glad to hear Merlin has perked up and I want to say that I know exactly how you feel with monitoring him daily as it is how I am with my Max cat. He is still wobbly at times and still has the different pupils and I am constantly watching him, what he eats, if he s sick, is he wobbling more today than normal etc but I also feel like you do, that while he s eating, and content with his life and not in any pain or distress that I can see, its all I can ask for him. I hope you have a happy easter Jan x

random
11-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Jan, Merlin has since passed away. x

jan
12-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh, I am so very sorry - I need to read the dates on the posts I think. My heartfelt apologies and hope I havent upset you too much Angie. Jan x