PDA

View Full Version : Darn bl**dy beasties

Natalie
02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Poppy has come home twice within the past 2 weeks with headlice. I have treated her (Millie was clear) and yet I fear she will have more before the week is out. It has only happened since she started playgroup and their attitude is 'It hasn't come from here?' and you must start using xyz products :evil: :evil: :evil: They didn't even offer to check the children's hair or at least send a letter home to their parents asking them to check their own child's hair.

What do I do? It's getting to be very expensive and distressing for Poppy to pass a nit comb through her curly hair. I have been using tea tree conditioner as I heard it was good to fend off the beasties but obviously didn't work.

Any tips PLEASE ?????

p.s. Have you scratched your head yet ;)

alexgirl73
02-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes twice :lol:

You have my sympathies, 'cause I have the same problem here a lot! Hayley never seems to get them, but Raechel does. I've done all the ususal combing etc, bought the nasty lotions (oh the smell!), but I've had the best results with doing the combing with the cheap Asda conditioner, then once here hair is dry, spraying in a head lice deterrent (which you can get from most chemists, Asda etc). They are bloody horrible things, and it make me so mad that so many parents aren't treating their kids!

dandysmom
02-03-2009, 10:35 PM
How awful for you both! I'm surprised at the play group's attitude, especially at not sending a letter to the parents! I'd think that would be considered a public health matter that should be looked into ...... report to authorities?

niki71uk
02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
u not alwed to send letters home now,only put a quiet word in with the childs parents,we have one kid who is in third yr at secondary,most days she comes in with umpteen bobbles in her hair n u can se them jumping about,she hardly ever takes the bobbles out so its like a nest

yet the school can do nothing more,ok its a special school but she has brothers n sisters,they must all have them too,she aint exactly incapable

Natalie
03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
u not alwed to send letters home now,only put a quiet word in with the childs parents,we have one kid who is in third yr at secondary,most days she comes in with umpteen bobbles in her hair n u can se them jumping about,she hardly ever takes the bobbles out so its like a nest

yet the school can do nothing more,ok its a special school but she has brothers n sisters,they must all have them too,she aint exactly incapable

That's interesting! My eldest daughter attends a special needs school and whenever they notice or the child's parents find any nits a letter immediately comes home in her school bag in order for us to check our child's hair. This comes from the school nurse.

I'm off to Boot's this afternoon to arm myself with all sorts. It's worth a try although I have to be careful what I use as Poppy has ezcema.

dinahsmum
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
This used to send me crazy 25 or so years ago (though we only ever got one infestation)
Why (oh why oh why oh why) cannot we designate a knockout nits week and just every household with kids do their hair twice during the week before school starts in September. Everybody in the country. Health visitors to supervise 'problem families', ensure bedding, clothes etc are also done.
Problem sorted.
That must be too easy :roll:

Natalie - there are preparations you can use regularly now, aren't there?

Natalie
03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
This used to send me crazy 25 or so years ago (though we only ever got one infestation)
Why (oh why oh why oh why) cannot we designate a knockout nits week and just every household with kids do their hair twice during the week before school starts in September. Everybody in the country. Health visitors to supervise 'problem families', ensure bedding, clothes etc are also done.
Problem sorted.
That must be too easy :roll:

Natalie - there are preparations you can use regularly now, aren't there?

I have searched online and there is stuff you can buy which acts as a deterrent. Anything is worth a shot. I think your idea is a good one although the role of the school nurse/ health visitor is very limited these days and headlice isn't a priority I guess.

Leesy
03-03-2009, 10:07 AM
There are all daft rules and regulations now that say it is victimisation if you are sending letters home with the children and also as well you find it is the same kids that are fetching them in because the parents just take no notice of the letters anway.
My daughter used to get them alot when she was at junior school from a girl that used to sit near her in class, Jackie said you could actually see them crawling on her head but they were not allowed to send her home, in the end I just had to keep combing her hair every night with conditioner and I used to mix it with pure tea tree oil as I found this worked better than the ones already made up.

CathyW
15-03-2009, 11:14 PM
when my kids where little they always seemed to get them. there was 1 boy in my sons class he was alive with them, the nurse used come in. give the boy a bottle of stuff, send him home with a letter. and what would happen. kid came back the next day still with lodgers. every night id go through the kids hair with the comb. hair conditioner was good. keep the girls hair tied up. but never did eliminate them.

dinahsmum
16-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Watch the Grow Your Own Drugs prog BBC2 tonight 8pm (I think) - he is demonstrating a simple, natural, solution you can easily make at home to deter these little b*gg*rs