PDA

View Full Version : Yet another animal joins the household!

alexgirl73
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
:roll:

I swear, I must have a sign on my head saying 'muggins'! Had a phone call from a friend whos ex bought their daughter a lionhead rabbit last summer. The daughter has completely lost interest and wont clean it out or play with it, and my friend is physically unable to do so due to severe health problems. So she called me up today and asked if I would take him. He is absolutely gorgeous, and Hayley has named him Simba:lol: However he needs a darn good brush, his claws clipping and his hutch needs scrubbed!! So guess what we're doing tomorrow when it stops raining:roll: Pics to follow at a later date.

Donna, any ideas on how to do the dematting? And the best way to go about getting him used to handling. He's so scared at the moment poor baby.

dandysmom
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Sorry, no suggestions Alex, but sure the bunny people here will have some excellent advice. Poor boy.

alexgirl73
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
He's an absolute stunner Eileen, and soooo soft. Hayley is besotted lol.

niki71uk
02-03-2009, 07:07 PM
how about a soft brush at the end of a stick,or these things for holding up plants????

then u wont get bitten

alexgirl73
02-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Oh he doesn't bite niki, just doesn't move at all if you go anywhere near him. Goes rigid with fear :(

kado
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
You are an angel for taking the bunny in.

niki71uk
02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
still the brush may help,till u can get near him

Mags
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
He sounds gorgeous Alex, well done for taking him in.....

With regard to his matting, have a look here (http://www.mybunny.org/info/groom_long_haired.htm) ...... it may be helpful to you...;)

alexgirl73
02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Mags that was great, you're a star :D Will get the necessary equipment tomorrow. I have a few bits obviously from having Broxi, but just need to pick up a few other bits. Wont go all out at first 'cause it would just terrify him too much. Will start off with a gentle brushing for a few days until he gets used to it :)

Natalie
02-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I know nothing about caring for rabbits but how lovely of you to take him in. Any chance of some pics?

angieh
02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Have to say I have never heard of a lionhead rabbit! Well done for giving him a home Alex. Bet he'll be feeling a lot better soon. I am looking forward to seeing a photo.

dandysmom
02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Angie, Donna's Pickle is a lionhead. I'd never heard of them either,

Donna
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Just seen this!!

Advice for matted fur: my Pootle was very matted when I got her... the vet was the only course of action to get rid of the most of them with clippers... its a lot harder to brush out matted fur and if you try to cut the matts out you are likely to cut the skin and rabbit skin is very thin...

Now that Pootle has been clipped on her matted fur I find a weekly brush is all she needs to stop the matts forming...

alexgirl73
02-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Donna :) Will check him properly in the morning and see how bad he is then. At least I know my vet is a good one, so if he needs shaved he'll be in good hands.

angieh
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks Eileen! Very cute - must be the "mane"?!

farthing
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Well done for saving him.
Lionheads can come with long coats too, the best way is probably to get him clipped by the vet, as has been said before, and then start again. We have 2 long haired buns and they take quite a bit of work, that's Mike's job, they sit better for him, I do the big animals!

dinahsmum
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
How's he doing Alex?

alexgirl73
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
lol, how spooky. I have just posted some pics of him DM :D

dinahsmum
07-03-2009, 04:24 PM
He's a cute little fluff-bum isn't he?
He does look a bit scared though.
Hope being in your busy household and realising that nothing awful will happen will allow him to come out of himself a bit?
Does he like banana? My mum used to have a little bun who absolutely loved banana, of all the odd things! It really helped gain his trust.

alexgirl73
07-03-2009, 04:28 PM
oooh, not thought of banana. We've been trying the usual carrots, and bunny treats, but something a bit different might tempt him more. He is beginning to settle though, last night he was hopping about our feet in Hayleys bedroom, it's just when you first go near him he freezes. But time and love will sort him out :)

Donna
07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
My bunnies go mental for banana so worth a try!