PDA

View Full Version : House cat no more

Lotsforus
02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi I have a 12 month old cat. She has always lived in side we have lived in a flat she has never been outside. Well she used to go out the attic window and roll around on the roof that scares the hell out of me but she seemed to have fun watching the birds.
We are moving to a house with garden in a cul de sac the garden backs on to the local school playing field. I know I won't be able to keep her in as she will be off out of a window. So what is the best way to introduce her to the outside world. She is chipped and been spayed is it best to get her a collar as well she has never worn one before.

Kathryn

dinahsmum
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi there!
She'll probably be a bit nervous first of all, so hang around with her and make encouraging noises!
Best bet is to go out just before she'd normally eat. Let her explore for half an hour or so, then call her in for tea! Continue daily, lengthening the time outside each day. Depending on how she takes to it she may be an interpid explorer within a couple of days but it may take her longer.
Times when we have moved house we notice that the cats seem to go around in ever-increasing circles from the house, as they get their bearings.
One tip is to trowel a heap of used litter onto the borders of your garden - it acts as a marker for puss.
Good luck!

dandysmom
02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Excellent advice from DM. Yes, she should have a collar with ID also. Although she might object to it a bit first!

Lotsforus
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Thank you. Is it best to keep her in for a time first of all?
I have a collar with a bell and will get a id tag for it. I put the collar on the ohter day and she was not happy so I took it off again. Do I put it on and leave it on or do it a little bit each time. It is a saftey collar that comes undone if it is caught up on anything. Is that okay or do you recommend a certain type of collar.

Kathryn

Leesy
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I am just in the process of starting to let my two out out the moment, they just go out on supervised visits with me, I did have them on a harness and lead at first but they hated that and wouldn`t play or explore, so now they go out without and they love it. I do have a garden that is quite secure with high fences so it is not to bad but I do still have to keep an eye on them as I don`t want them wandering.
The collar I would just put it on as she will soon get used to it.

cats' staff
03-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I would get a treat tin which makes a noise when rattled and get her used the noise leading to a tasty snack. It works well getting Tolly home from two fields away!