PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the cats / kittens?

smudgley
28-02-2009, 10:42 PM
We are very, very quiet for rescue cats.

Were getting no calls about found cats, no calls about cats for rehoming, no calls for unwanted pregnant cats & no calls for unwanted kittens.

We contacted our nearest CP adoption centre (Birmingham) to ask if they would take a cat that we have that is with us that is very difficult to home & we offered to take a couple of litters from them in return. They said they would take the cat, but didn't have any kittens to give us. I know in Gloucester CP it's very quiet for kittens & I was chatting to my friend who works at the vets and she said they've seen hardly any kittens this year.....

It must be a good thing really I guess.

niki71uk
28-02-2009, 11:04 PM
surely its a good thing to have no new strays or unwanted cats/kittens

as most are probably getting their cats spayed/neutered

but then again if they dont then therer'd be more kittens n then ud be saying,why r there so many unwanted cats/kittens about

its a no win situation really lol

either cats r left so u get kittens or they r spayed/neutered n the cat population dies out

u cant have it both ways !:roll: :roll: :roll:

smudgley
28-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh it's definately a good thing. If we never had another rescue cat in again, it would be a good thing. It's just very unusual and the first time in my experience that it has been so very quiet everywhere.

angieh
28-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Wasn't there something in another thread earlier in the week saying that the RSPCA were taking them all?????

smudgley
28-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Wasn't there something in another thread earlier in the week saying that the RSPCA were taking them all?????

Yes, a lady who used to be our rehoming officer left us and joined the RSPCA and she had taken 3 or 4 cats in that we had calls about last week.

alexgirl73
28-02-2009, 11:51 PM
we're the same here Kel. We've only had 2 older kittens in, and a lot of older ones who have been on waiting lists. I'm sure in a month or so it will all have changed again!

smudgley
01-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes, I'm sure it will be busy soon.

We've got some beautiful cats in that have been with us a while, there's not many homes about either.

dinahsmum
01-03-2009, 12:21 PM
:shock:
Do you think the message about neutering/not breeding is actually getting through?

Or is it the financial times meaning people aren't moving so much, or going on holidays and 'losing' cats, or deciding that there are a lot of things they can't have but they'll still keep the cat?
Or maybe the harsh winter has delayed spring breeding?

Whichever - it sounds like good news.

Moli
01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Exactly the same here, nothing coming in, and nothing going out at the moment....Very quiet......

dinahsmum
13-03-2009, 02:10 PM
The local CP branch has put an article in the local free-mag. They made £631 at last Saturday's Fair and they have a grand total of 3 cats looking for new homes!
Maybe (again) the neutering advice is finally getting through?

tilly
13-03-2009, 08:46 PM
the rescue I foster for is full at the moment but we only have one person coming to our homing day on sunday. When we usually have 10-20 people booking to see the cats.
I am not sure what is going on but hopefully it will pick up on the homing front soon.

Sally