PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Cat from a breeder with no registered Prefix (GCCF)

nazz
26-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Dear All

I am going to buy a British short hair from a breeder who does not have a registered prefix with GCCF.

How important it is to have this prefix? The breeder has a picture of the stud and mom they both look pedigree.

I am really confused, as it is so hard to buy a pedigree cat , can somebody advice on what to do?

Are there any good breeders who don't have a registered prefix with GCCF?

mattde
26-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I would be careful, is the breeder selling the cat at a knock down price because of not having a prefix?

nazz
26-02-2009, 04:05 PM
no actually she is selling them for £425, she says that the stud is registered with GCCF, did check it.
Any suggestions please?

mattde
26-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I dont know how much a British short hair should cost , tho I do know a breeder so i can find out for you.

I would want to see the kitten you want to buy in the same home as the queen cat. I would also like to know that the queen and stud cat have had all the tests they should have had before breeding.

Its a big risk to pay £425 for a kittens that not going to come with GCCF certificate.

mattde
26-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Take your time with your kitten purchase, and make sure that the kitten comes with registration certificate.
good luck with buying your kitten.

nazz
26-02-2009, 04:44 PM
what is admin prefixes? the breeder says that all her kittens are registered with GCCF? how can i find out from her?

Thanks

mattde
26-02-2009, 04:50 PM
You should be able to ask the breeder to see a document that has two layers, one white, one pink with GCCF logo on. Name of Stud cat , name of queen cat , registration numbers etc. DOB details. How old is the kitten?

dinahsmum
26-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I know nothing about GCCF or documents or anything like that.
I do know that people have posted about purchasing kittens which weren't quite 'fully registered', or whatever the phrase might be. There have been too many people who have ended up with the expense and heartbreak of a sick animal.
Please take care.
It does nothing for either breeds or, more importantly, the health of individual animals when people who breed them (for profit) don't jump through all the hoops which are designed to protect animals and people.

Is there a Shorthair Society you could get advice/information from?

Isn't £435 an awful amount for a cat? Maybe not, jmo.

nazz
26-02-2009, 05:03 PM
The kittens are not born yet.

Some other people told me this, how true is that?

If you are looking for a pedigree kitten, its the fact that they are registered with either the GCCF, TICA or FIFE that is important. That registration proves they are pedigree. It doesn't matter that the breeder does not have a prefix of their own, its not really necessary

mattde
26-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Like I said before "make sure the kitten comes with a registration certificate"

dandysmom
26-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I'd think long and hard before buying that yet-unborn kitten. Have you checked any other breeders that are registered?