PDA

View Full Version : Your cats around human food

HappyKatz
25-02-2009, 09:53 PM
How do your cats act around human food?

Just wanted to know because our girl Shilo is obsessed with human food.

Shilo is our little kitty alarm :lol: Whenever we are preparing any type of food, she runs from wherever she is. She will wake up from a deep sleep, her eyes barely open, meowing as loud as she can "Give me food!". Shilo will stop in the middle of playing & meow so loud. All of a sudden, you hear a stampede of cat paws. Cats come out from everywhere :)

How each of our cats act around human food:
- Sliver wants nothing to do with it
- Snowball lays around us waiting for scraps if there are any
- Sushie dislikes all people food
- Sage meows for a while, then wanders off when he knows hes not getting any human food
- Spooky sits there looking at us with her cute little face thinking maybe if i'm cute they will give me food too!
- Spici lets out a loud high pitched meow when she wants some of our food
- Shilo - See above/Post is about her
- Sadee tries to climb our legs & meows at us with her little mew
- Sasha sits there quietly thinking if shes good, that she'll be first in line

Phoenix
25-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Dylan meows constantly until he get food, if that fails he'll try to help himself! :roll: :lol: He's convinced he will like bananas at the moment :roll:

Beauty would take people food tha was offered her, but she wasn't a one for pestering for people food (chicken, turkey and tuna were the only people food she liked)

niki71uk
25-02-2009, 10:46 PM
my older cat who is 15 was brought up on human food,he likes cooked pepper:shock: green better than red or yellow i think,i cant remember:roll: the younger cat plays with the food,but she will try it sometimes:lol:

niki71uk
25-02-2009, 10:48 PM
oh n the dog eats anything,cept red apples,i think its coz i dont eat them so he doesnt know wot they r:lol:

angieh
25-02-2009, 11:06 PM
This is a cute thread, HappyKatz!

Merlin is getting on now and his senses are not what they were. He generally likes human food - especially yoghurt, even fruity ones; cream and milk; sweet corn kernels; anything with garlic in, such as bolognaise sauce or even curry sauce (not that he got much!); tuna, salmon and prawns and cheese; roast meats, esp chicken and beef. MIL used to feed him bits at table, after we told her not to, so he used to make a real pest of himself at meal times and had to be shut out when we were eating, but that wasnt his fault.

Smudge our other lovely girl, gone but never forgotten, never used to want any human food or trouble us at all. I think I used to give her prawns as treats sometimes and she used to like those.

Moli
25-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Casper loves human food, especially curry from the chinese, he is a real mooch at dinner time, the rest do not bother...He sits a meows very loudly and has been known to try a swipe food off your fork!!

calismum
26-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Alfie is very well mannered and waits until he's offered. He's not a great fan of things other than meats and fish.

Kinsi is just a pain - She is being taught just now that begging, looking pathetic, crying, scratching and jumping into your plate does not result in a food award. I remain hopeful she'll get the message at some point. Any scraps we do give her - in her own dish -are wolfed down. Not found anything she won't try as yet!

Leesy
26-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Both Maxi and Maisy go bananas over the smell of our food and always try to sit at the table with us:D

Tink
26-02-2009, 01:34 AM
kuan yin goes crazy over human food, especially spaghetti o's..she will bat it off the fork before i can get it to my mouth!:shock: :lol:

dandysmom
26-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Leia doesn't like people food at all, although she has mellowed in the last year to decide that ham and roast chicken are OK. But never pesters for it. Sultan and Dandy both loved our food; both at different times grabbed a half roast chicken out of the bottom shelf of the fridge and made off with it, with me in hot pursuit! Su-ling snatched a whole broiled trout off my plate while I went to answer the doorbell! Misty and Patches were more ladylike, but would hover about hopefully when I was fixing something they liked, especially tuna, prawns or sardines. And Misty thought cheddar cheese was the best food in the world!

They're all so different, aren't they? Gotta love them!

janey83
26-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Leo is a nightmare when it comes to human food. As soon as someone walks into the kitchen thats it Leos there and walkin all over the surfaces before you have got in there!

While your making something he'll jump up on the counter, we put him down as soon as he jumps up and this will go on forever!

Then while were eating at the table he'll jump up and try and get as close to the food as possible, again we keep puttin him on the floor.

Tina
26-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Our cats don't bother that much about human food. They each have one thing that they really like (human food) though and will go absolutely mad for it!

With Mouse, it's strawberry jam.....doesn't matter what it's on, if she smells strawberry jam she wants it! When I have strawberry jam on toast I can't let it out of my sight as she'll sit on it whilst licking all the jam off......makes quite a mess! :lol:

Miw is a real oddball. She loves olives! She goes absolutely NUTS when we bring out the olives......she'll stick her head in the dish of them and lick and chew at them. When we give her one, she rolls around on it like it's catnip and licks and chews and just adores it! :lol:

angieh
26-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Those are both fairly amazing things for cats to really like, Tina! I'd love to see a video of Miw with an olive!

Tina
26-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Those are both fairly amazing things for cats to really like, Tina! I'd love to see a video of Miw with an olive!

I'll definately try and get a video some time LOL it's really quite funny! :lol:

dandysmom
26-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Su-ling my sealpoint loved olives! He'd sit on the armchair with my Dad waiting for his olive from the martini! But spit out the pimiento! One year a friend gave him a small jar of olives for Christmas...he was a happy camper!

angieh
26-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Is it the salt?

cats' staff
26-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Open a tin of ANYTHING with a tin opener and Smudge is there! I have to show her the contents to prove it isn't Tuna. If it IS tuna she has to have some.

If we have fish and chips from the chippie, Tolly comes and sits on a vacant chair at the table and waits.... and glowers.... and eventually gets a bit!

dandysmom
26-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Is it the salt?

Or the oily flesh? ....

Donna
26-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Misty will swipe anything out of your hand if she gets the chance... she will try most things.. Chloe is a little fussy.. she likes ham or raw chicken if I am in the kitchen preparing food.

I caught Chloe eating processed peas recently .. that was funny!

ozgirl
05-03-2009, 07:03 PM
My two both LOVE human food... and will do just about anything to get it! I cannot leave ANY box/bag/container of food out or they'll knock it off the counter & chew through it!

I've taken to putting them both in the bathroom while I'm cooking 'cause they double-team me. Jumping up on the counter, while I'm pushing one off, the other snags something out of the bowl, then vice versa!

They'll eat salad fixings too - I was astonished! They'll both eat tomatoes and cucumbers, and he'll eat lettuce too! Also, cantaloupe & apples!!

I think that's very odd BUT they are great pre-washers for my dishes!!

ozgirl
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Leo is a nightmare when it comes to human food. As soon as someone walks into the kitchen thats it Leos there and walkin all over the surfaces before you have got in there!

While your making something he'll jump up on the counter, we put him down as soon as he jumps up and this will go on forever!

Then while were eating at the table he'll jump up and try and get as close to the food as possible, again we keep puttin him on the floor.

Yep, that's BOTH of mine! And they're very quick at snagging their paws on the plate to try & topple it!:roll:

Elaine
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Do you know, Eva is not at all interested in human food, she wont take a bit of ham nor a peice of cheese. She used to like prawns but cannt even be tempted with those these days. She's a good girl my Eva:D
Bernie on the other hand will eat anything you put infront of him, pretty much.:roll: . He wont steal food though, he goes for the poor starving kitty look instead by sitting infront of you drooling and giving the odd plaintive meaow which indicates that we starve him:lol:

dandysmom
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Do you know, Eva is not at all interested in human food, she wont take a bit of ham nor a peice of cheese. She used to like prawns but cannt even be tempted with those these days. She's a good girl my Eva:D
Bernie on the other hand will eat anything you put infront of him, pretty much.:roll: . He wont steal food though, he goes for the poor starving kitty look instead by sitting infront of you drooling and giving the odd plaintive meaow which indicates that we starve him:lol:

Elaine, I swear Eva and Leia are sisters under the skin! Although ham has finally been promoted to "edible!" :-D

BTW, love your new Welcome pic!

Elaine
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Elaine, I swear Eva and Leia are sisters under the skin! Although ham has finally been promoted to "edible!" :-D

BTW, love your new Welcome pic!

:lol: :lol: :lol: They certainly share alot of similarities in their personalities.
Thanx.;)

jan
15-03-2009, 01:59 AM
My Tess was probably a piggy in a previous life as she will pester for anything. She eats bean spouts, peas, sweetcorn,any meats - in fact she just meows constantly and turns round and round in circles, pawing at intervals til she gets a tit bit.She once stood on her hindlegs,put her paw up in the air and cleverly swiped a whole sausage off my plate and ran off with it steaming in her mouth. She has long perfected the art of sitting on her hind legs with her paws up pleading, like a meer cat. Cant resist...

Have to say funny incident years ago Max came legging it up the drive one sunday afternoon with a leg of pork (mind you,it could have been beef or lamb I guess!) hanging out his mouth and all my cats and half the road s cats following in his wake.... never did find out who lost their sunday lunch.................

Felix is odd he wont touch human food even if beef or fish or chicken is offered.No it has to come out a tin for him. And little timid Maisie she will come snooping round for a tit bit. She s almost 3 and the most nervous cat I have ever had by far. (no reason to be either.) Ah well,they are all different. Jan x