PDA

View Full Version : Don't start with specs!!!

angieh
25-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Really carrying on from Elaine's hair thread - and now she doesn't like her glasses. I am well overdue to have my eyes tested (like a whole year) and I know that I shall have to have new specs.

How do you choose new glasses on your own??? I know they have all that technology to help, but really ..... and if you take a friend how do you trust them not to persuade you that something suits you better that you'll regret later when you get them? And they are so expensive!!! :?

calismum
25-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Have to admit it is my pet hate too.

I usually try to visit a few shops first to see what is around and to try a few styles. People in the shop will give opinions and I have found they'll say pair one is nicer than pair two etc.

I have tried dragging OH with me but he is more likely to say he likes or dislikes the glasses, not if they suit me.

I try not to get something too fashionable or OTT. If you think your current specs suit you then get a pair that are similar in shape but maybe different colour.

If you really like the ones you have just get new lenses.

Good luck

dandysmom
25-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, I just know the general style I like, so look at the display racks and pick out 3 or 4, try them on and can usually decide. But this time I fell in love with the style Sarah Palin was wearing on TV, so got those ! The optician said they were selling like hotcakes!

Elaine
25-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a great optician and I trust their judgement on what suits and what doesnt, they also offer to put in contacts for you so you can see what the specs look like on you.

Moli
25-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Asoon as I needed spec's for driving, I started using contacts, just do not suit spec's at all....

dinahsmum
26-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I can't do the specs thing either.
Extended wear contacts do it for me.

yola
26-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I did spend a fair bit of money on some squarish prada trendies last year but then my prescription changed so I can only really use them around the house. However in reality they are only for occasional usage as I love my contact lenses and would never wear glasses full time.

If I ever have enough spare money and enough courage I'd go for laser treatment!

In terms of choosing a style - I had a type in mind it was just getting the colour and exact shape right. There are rules which relate shape of face to shape of glasses and any good dispensing optician should be able to advise on this. Probably a quick web search will give you some pointers. And some of the more advanced opticians have software where they scan your face and you try 'virtual' glasses on :D

Natalie
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Poppy has just been diagnosed (how, I really don't know) with long sighted vision and at 2.5 years of age will need glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How on earth am I going to keep them on her and without them breaking?????

Poor wee poppet....sorry I digress

angieh
02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
I feel for Poppy. I had to wear glasses from age 7 and my mum did from age 5. I have worn some horrendous objects over the years - and they weren't all my own choice either!

dandysmom
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I got mine at age 6; was very good about not breaking them, as it was like a miracle to me to discover that things weren't naturally blurry but could actually be seen clear and sharp past about 3 feet. Severely nearsighted.

angieh
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Did you get teased by the other kids though?

dandysmom
02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Did you get teased by the other kids though?

Oh indeed! Grade school particularly, heard "four eyes" more times than I like to remember! OK by high school, too many of us wearing them by then! :-D

angieh
02-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Kids are cruel aren't they? I don't remember being teased especially because of the specs either.

dandysmom
02-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Kids that age can be little monsters! I wouldn't like to relive grade school. Besides thr glasses, I was heavy (well, fat), no good at sports and what nowadays would be called a nerd! High school was a welcome relief!