PDA

View Full Version : More advice please re Max

jan
25-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I posted about my 16 year old cats third eye lid and small pupil and subsequent vets visit. When I got up this morning I was alarmed to find Max toppling over and falling off the work surface as he attempted to jump up in his hurry for food - as is usual I am afraid with him, he gets so hungry! He is toppling over as he walks, exactly like a cat recovering from anaesthetic and wobbly when walking til the effects wear off. He is eating and drinking plenty despite having problems balancing to get to the plate/bowl - once sitting down he seems okay sleeping. I eventually spoke to the vet I saw the other week and she advised me to wait and see how he is as he appears okay in his self. It might be ear/brain inbalance or something which can do that for a few days or a blockage in the rear legs which if it is must be mild as its a painful condition. His eye is exactly the same - maybe the third eyelid is less obvious at times he is wide awake than it was previously. It is horrible to watch him as he falls over and has hit his head a few times like getting out the litter tray, attempting to jump up on the side, even falling sideways off his cushion and hitting the fireplace. Leaving him and other older puss in the lounge tonight, less hopefully to hurt him self on than the kitchen? His back left leg appears to drag a bit as he is walking along too, its his right eye by the way. The vet suggested steroids might boost him up for a bit if no improvement or further deterioration I presume. Any advice as before, will be gratefully received and the moral support as its so sad. Thanking you Jan x

smudgley
25-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat, but I think I would be taking him straight to see the vet for an examination in the morning if he were mine.

Good luck.

Bronte-sis
25-02-2009, 01:40 AM
I would too, sounds like an imbalance or trapped nerve, but I'd get the vet to take a look and if not happy get a second opinion as something is obviously wrong.

Hope he gets better soon, keep us updated

dandysmom
25-02-2009, 03:40 AM
How sad! Vet visit ASAP; hope it's something that can be treated. (((hugs)))

Leesy
25-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes I am afraid that I agree with everybody else that the best thing to do is to go for a visit to the vets, the risk is that it could be something easily treatable and the longer you leave putting off the visit if he is falling off things and banging himself he could cause himself a serious injury:( .
Hope that he gets better soon and give him a big cuddle and a chin rub from all of us here a Catsey;)

farthing
25-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I think you should get him to a vet ASAP.
If he has an ear infection he needs antibiotics, and if it is due to some swelling, he needs steriods.
It sounds like you vet also thinks it may be an illiac thrombosis, this is serious, can be very painful and needs to be seen to, and it can get worse.
Good luck.

Elaine
25-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I am so very sorry to be reading this Jan but as the others have said, get him to the vet asap.
Hind leg weakness and lack of co-ordination can be caused by a variety of things from constipation, anemia, low potassium, high phospherous, metabolic acidosis, diabetic nueropathy, heart problems (saddle thrombosis) and neurological issues. It may well be that there are a combination of things going on.
I trully am very sorry xxx

angieh
25-02-2009, 04:32 PM
So sorry for you and Max. I'm with advice above - vet asap.

dandysmom
25-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Please do let us know what the vet says, poor Max. Hope they can get it sorted quickly.

calismum
25-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Have to add my voice to the above - vet asap. And don't let them put you off with leave it a day or two.

Please keep us posted and hope it can be resolved.

smokytopaz
25-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree with everyone - get the vet.

I once had a cat that poisoned himself (they think on antifreeze, but from where? Anyway...) and he behaved like that, he had damaged his kidneys - oh please Vet, right now.:(

jan
25-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Hello everyone,
I was going on what the vet who examined max had said on the phone at six o clock - Max does have kidney problems but is on the senior diet and we agreed to have a further blood test due about this weekend to see if the deterioration had altered. His right pupil she said indicated horners disease which according to things can be a tumour, or a neurological problem amongst other things. She ruled out thyroid as she did a blood test for that. I have a problem that I am not insured for vets bills and to have scans and x rays are she said very expensive. The stupid thing is if I applied for council tax rebate which I would be eligible for I would get free care from the pdsa but I havent. She suggested waiting a few days to see if there is any improvement and maybe opting for steroid s to buck him up. I am terrified of taking him back as said before it stresses us both and even have it in my mind if he needs to be put to sleep to have the vet out to us to make it gentler. I feel awful having to consider the cost but where do you stop if it starts running into hundreds of pounds? I paid sixty six for the other week and was happy to do so as I felt Max had a thorough check over but now I am at a loss what to do. I am just hoping it is something minor that will pass but the small pupil and diagnosis of horners syndrome the other week is telling me it is something more serious. To be honest I dont know what to do. If I take him to the vets and he needs umpteen tests to determine the problem where do you draw the line? I suppose I should have bought pet insurance years ago but as I have always had three or four, even five cats once it is a costly monthly outgoing straight away. My son is unemployed so he cannot help and so even is my boyfriend, though we dont live together. I honestly dont know which way to turn at the minuite for the best. Please dont think me uncaring because I love and spoil my cats very much indeed. Someone gave me the name of another vets today they recommended but I suppose that would just be starting over again from the beginning. Dont know what to do. Should i return to the vets I used before knowing I cant afford scans etc and let her see Max again? Will she be able to offer anything different or will her hands be tied? Sorry to sound so bleak its actually how I feel today. Jan x

Elaine
25-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Oh Jan, I am so sorry and I do understand, I dont think you uncaring at all.
I didnt have insurance for my dear old Winston and in all honesty, I wouldnt like to count up how much I spent on blood tests, meds etc. I gave up on having a social life to make sure he was ok and I did have some financial help from my partner.
There is no harm in calling the other vets and discussing the situation with them and what course of action they would consider, including the financial cost.
On the other hand, none of us like to think about the option of having a loved one pts but, and i dont want to sound cold here, it may be the best option you have and at the end of the day it may well be an act of love and kindness in itself.
Thinking of you both xxx

smokytopaz
25-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Here is one of those choices between muck and more muck.

I don't think anything you do at the moment or indeed ever will really help. Get some advice from a vet.... you know I can't even say what I think you should do.

Get some serious medical advice - do they charge for that? Then make up your mind.

farthing
25-02-2009, 11:23 PM
You would have to pay for a consultation fee, but if you inform your vet of your finances and ask for a quote, it will give you an idea if you can afford it. Hopefully they should get a good idea by checking him over- a thrombosis may affect the temp and pulse in the leg for example.
If you decide to change vets, they should contact your previous vets and get his history from them, you shouldn't have to go through every thing again.
Sometimes, we just end up denying the inevitable, and PTS will be the only option at the end of the day.
The thing to remember, if it comes to it, is that to him it will be no different to a blood test, he won't know what is going to happen and if you choose to do it at home, he will be even less stressed.
If I have a choice, all mine are PTS at home, with me assisting.:(
Hope it doesn't come to that and it is something easy to 'fix'.

Bronte-sis
26-02-2009, 12:43 AM
I know how hard it is to make the decision, but in the end if they or suffering or in pain it's more cruel to keep them, I lost my 18 year old Sooty, 2 years ago, he had hyperthyroidism and was loosing weight, medication helped for a while and he did improve, then suddenly went down hill I kept trying but in the end he was so weak, I knew it was time, I was there and they don't feel it, they really do just fall asleep, you will know in your heart when it is time, I don't know how to explain it but they sort of let you know.

Please let us know what happens.

Leesy
26-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I am so very sorry for your dilema, it is heartbreaking when you know at some stage you are going to need to make that final choice:cry: . I do know how you feel about the love of your baby and the financial side to it all, as I was in the same predicament last year with my baby Charkie, he had been poorly for about 3mths on and off backing and toing to the vets having different treatment and trying to find out what was wrong, they never did for definate find out what was wrong even at the cost of £700 pounds later,
(we were not insured) either.
It reached the point where he was just really deteriating and the vets were wanting to do more extensive investigations which we could just not afford and had sadly made the choice to have Charkie PTS, that night before we could see the vet he passed away in my arms :cry: :cry: :cry: having the biggest most lovvvvving cuddle ever.
So as I said my heart really does go out to you and I wish I could make the pain of all that you are going through disapear:cry: Xxx.

jan
26-02-2009, 01:38 AM
I thank you all so much, i felt so mean and horrible trying to explain my problems regarding paying for all the treatments he could possible be offered or go through. He s not seeming to be in any pain or discomfort as of yet and still devouring the food just losing his balance esp when turning round or moving quickly. I might try getting him back to the original vet 2m nyt see what she thinks when she sees him now. His paws dont appear to be hot as she suggested I check if there was a blockage in the veins of the right leg but she said that would cause lots pain. Does anyone have any idea if steroids help and how ? Going try and sleep now as shattered with the constant worry its with you all the time as you go about your daily business. Nyt jan x

jan
26-02-2009, 01:43 AM
By the way leesy very touched to hear your sad story - god bless charkie and bless you too for doing your best by him. take care jan x

jan
26-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Another day - felt a bit cheered as Max seemed a bit more sure footed steadier on, seems able to walk in a straight line a bit better without too much wobble, but tonight again - tipping over without any warning when trying to settle down in front of the fire - turned the gas fire off as I was worried he would fall into it. I might sound daft but I trained at reiki several years ago and tho I havent used it for ages I gave him a bit of reiki healing for a couple of minuites just on his back and rear end - bit wary of being too close to the head with him at the moment. My hands went red hot and he sat very still probably enjoying the warmth. To all of you who have advised me and who have all been through the pain of losing a much loved pet (as I have lost quite a few) thankyou all so much for your support. Some people dont understand how it feels to care for an animal and it is very hurtful when they dismiss you out of hand. It is their loss at the end of the day. I am so glad to have found this wonderful site! Jan x

Leesy
27-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Hi Jan I am glad to hear from you I was wondering how you had gone on with Max today, so glad he seemed a bit better earlier on, do you think he might have been abit tired tonight when he had a little tumble.
As to the reiki healing I take it that it is a good thing when you can feel alot of heat:oops: not quite up on things like that, and if you can keep doing that for him will it help him, I hope it will:) .

Bronte-sis
27-02-2009, 12:08 AM
keeping fingers crossed for you

jan
27-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Bronte sis - Sooty was a very good age. Max is now the oldest cat I have had by a few months and it shows how well cared for our pets are. I am so sorry to hear how he went down hill and I absolutely agree that when an animal is suffering you have to put your own feeling s aside and think of the animals welfare, it is the last kind thing you can do for them. I have had to do that with two of my beloved puss cats, both had cancer and one, Fliss, 16, had to be rescuscitated in the five minuite journey to the vets as she was within a minuite of dying only for me to have to decide she had to be put to sleep as she had suspected lung cancer, kidney disease and thyroid problems. She had to be very poorly indeed to have nearly drowned in her own saliva in a few minuites, out of fear I expect at being in the car. Broke my heart. Also my lovely Smudge, 13, who stopped eating, lay looking at me with eyes saying let me out to die, he was such an outdoor cat always, who I also had to have put to sleep as the vet said he had a huge growth in his tummy. I will never forget his big green eyes looking at me as I said goodbye. The vet told me I could take him home a bit longer, I asked how long, two days she said, he wont last any longer. How could I have been so selfish? of course I said no. He was suffering. At the moment I feel Max is happy enough, he loves his food, he sleeps a lot as he always does, its just this balance thing. I wont let him be in any pain - I love him too much. He s just had a lovely fuss with me, now he s cuddled up with Tess by the fire. Sorry for the long post and so very sorry about sooty. What a lovely name! Jan x

jan
27-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Hello Leesy,
yes Reiki is hands on Healing (literally) I went to a course with a reiki master who has to attune you (it all sounds very complicated but it isnt really, it only takes a few minuites but it opens your energy s up to the universes healing energy). The universal energy uses your body as a tool and using your hands the energy flows to the person requiring the treatment. It can even help plants and other objects apart from people and animals. Several of my friends have called me a witch when I have demonstrated on them for the sheer heat and pressure they felt even though I choose not to actually touch directly but to have my hands about an inch or two away from their skin. Hope that helps you understand a bit more without sounding like I am a crank! Jan x

Bronte-sis
27-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks, he was a stray cat found by a friend who brought him to me, he went straight up to our dog at the time Sally (she was pts at 16 when she developed a spinal disease and lost control of her back end) and rubbed all around her, we were amazed and took him in, he was such a gentle cat and loved to cuddle, I buried him with Sally as they were the best of friends. As I said before you will know in your heart when it's time, until then enjoy every moment.

Leesy
27-02-2009, 12:30 AM
My husband always says he thinks that he has got healing hands, and I must admit if I have tummy ache at the time of the month and he puts his hands on my tummy it really does feel better, do you think he would make a good candidate.

Elaine
27-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi Jan, I am a reiki convert after having one my cats undergo 6 months of therapy for stress. The difference in her is amazing and has pretty much resolved a long standing issue of middening, which i didnt expect.
I hope it goes a long way to helping your dear kitty. Can I just add that you are your cats best advocate as to how he is doing within himself, I beleive the key words are quality over quantity.
Thinking of you both and sending all my love xxx

jan
27-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi there Leesy,
maybe you should enrol your hubby on a reiki course - some people have the gift whether they know it or not! What a sad but lovely story about Sooty and Sally - the thing I love about animals is there s no pretence, just love and trust unless they have been badly treated. And Elaine, very true - I, like all of you, try very hard to make my cats (and all animals I have had) lives happy and comfortable. They are part of my family as much as my grown up children and friends, and I am looking after and out for Max as much as I possibly can, (so s my son!) - it reminds me of watching my two when they were toddlers lol. He s still wobbly but there s a definite improvement to his balance - tho there s still a heckuva room for more improvement. Will try the reiki again later, he s still stuffing his face in the other room! Jan x

Leesy
27-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Sooooo glad that you can see definate improvment in Max, thats good news so keep up the good work which I know that you will;)

jan
07-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi all,
sorry I havent posted for a while but have had family problems and its been a very stressful week. Thankfully things are looking up (my 2 year old grandson has cerebral palsy and was rushed to hospital sunday night and he is still in but improving) so have a bit of time and energy to be online again. Thanks to Leesy for contacting me. Max is slowly improving so I am taking things one day at a time - he is still a bit wobbly at times but the difference in ten days is remarkable. As his eyes are still different sized pupils I sense there s something going on there but will just continue to keep my eye on him and spoil him as normal! He could eat for England, I think he eats more than my other three together. Must give him another reiki treatment once I get my energy back lol. Jan x

Moli
07-03-2009, 12:38 AM
So sorry to hear about your Grandson Jan, hope he is home with his family soon...
Good to hear Max is improving and still has a good quality of life.....

jan
07-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks Moli,
been a stressful couple of weeks lol - thanks for your good wishes Jan x

Leesy
24-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Hi Jan I was just wondering how things were going with Max and if he is still improving, and how is your grandson.
Hope that all is well Pauline Xxx.

jan
26-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Hya there Pauline,

Thankyou for being so caring. Max has been a bit more wobbly this last few days, I noticed on Tuesday he had a sneezing fit (always has done but not just one or two sneezes maybe ten to twelve in a sudden rush) His back leg shot from under him and he went over sideways just like before, totally lost his balance. My son rushed up and picked him up and took him into the lounge and put him on his cushion on the floor and Max promptly walked quite steadily off it. But it gave us a fright for those few seconds. Later he sneezed again quite violently and trembled for a few moments. Then okay again. Noticed it seems to be when he sneezes he loses his balance and its that back leg again that seems to be weak. He is eating and drinking fine, very vocal again, noisy thing howls when he wants to have more food, or go upstairs, or for the door to be opened. Most noisiest cat I ever heard in my life, reckon its cus he s deaf! His third eyelid is nt visible now at all, went a few weeks ago, but still the difference in pupil size so assume the back leg is connected somehow.

I hope alls well with you and your beautiful cats. Their names are almost identical to my Max and Maisie s lol. Jan x

Leesy
27-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi Jan, they don`t half keep us on our toes and cause us some anguish don`t they:roll: :roll: are little bundle of joys.
Glad to hear that Max is OK and that his third eyelid is not visible anymore and also that he is eating and drinking and being very vocal, (they are cheeky and a bit bossy aren`t they) LOL.
Sorry he still has a problem with his pupil and his back leg, like you said they are obviously connected:( , I think you will have to keep an I eye on him for when he starts to sneeze then you can pick him up to stop him falling over and hurting himself, bless the little sweetie.

Take care and keep safe Pauline Maxi and MaisyXxx.

Elaine
27-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Jan, glad to hear that Max is still eating and drinking well.
Just a thought about the sneezing thing, just by the way you describe it, sounds a little excessive so was wondering if the vet had a good look at Max's teeth? I know he had a full blood panel and examination done, so probably safe to assume that he doesnt have any respritory infection. Dental issues can also cause excessive sneezing.
http://www.best-cat-art.com/cat-sneezing.html
Another thing I was wondering from your post was about his becoming more vocal, is he meaowing or more like yowling? If he's yowling, may be an idea to have his blood pressure checked.
Thanx for updating and letting us know how dear Max is doing. xxx

jan
27-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Hya Pauline and Elaine,
Just to explain, Max has always since I can remember, had sneezing fits, a few months ago I was having to wipe his nose! Never ever known that before but true. Now they are back to dry sneezing fits, thankgoodness, but he has always done it. I often wonder if he is allergic to dust! He has always been very vocal too, loud howling meow s (if I am on the phone people think it s a baby or at the very least say what a loud cat!) - but I put a lot of it down to his being totally deaf! He cant hear himself. Makes the other s jump tho lol. When he was first falling over he slept and was very quiet, not himself at all butafter about a weekas he improved his meow came back! Its usually when he wants food, attention or to be let into another room. He is looking more frail generally now though but I guess at close to seventeen he is entitled. Take care both of you, Jan x

pookyandjo
28-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Hey Jan,
just catching up on what has been going on with Max in the last wee while.. poor baby... although he sounds like he's holding his own...i hope he continues to improve... thinking about you an knowing how worrying it is for you

Jo, George and Princess Harri xxx

Elaine
28-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry Jan, I forgot that you had said he was deaf;) . It may well be an allergy, if he has always sneezed like that with no other sign of illness.
I do tend to jump in with both feet at times but only because i care, dont mean to be a sticky beak:lol: