PDA

View Full Version : Two steps forward One back

smokytopaz
22-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Thank you for all your posts, Farthing yours was especially encouraging.

When I 'put her to bed' last night ie shut her in a room with her litter, water and biscuits, I also plugged in the Feliway diffuser.

This morning she was calm and even happy when I went in, put on the TV and gave her her breakfast. She was even braver than yesterday, tumbling over my feet and taking food from my hands. She wasn't cringing, cowering away or looking terrified.

She is certainly quieter than this past week, I mean vocally and we are all getting a nights sleep.

But one finger on her body and she jumps like the proverbial scalded cat.

However I got Felifriend from the Vets.uk site and she was not so afraid of my hands today.

I have pulled back from trying a full scale stroke for a couple of days, I do not want a repeat of last night.:(

Her breeder told me just to pick her up and make her be stroked. Koko is six months old and fast. I am sixty and not so fast.

I have read over my posts from the beginning and can she she is slowly becoming braver.

Mags
22-02-2009, 06:50 PM
That's sounding more promising, I'm pleased there's been a slight improvement. :)

dandysmom
22-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Your title says it all! Glad the Feliway seems to have helped. Hang in there ......

Moli
22-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Looks like your patience is paying off slowely:)

dandysmom
22-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Meant to ask , what is Felifriend?

smokytopaz
22-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh - feliway diffuser is one aspect of cats pheronomes and felifriend is another, you spray it on your hands and its like you are best friends with the cat. Sort of two different smells. You are an automatic safe bet......... it is a handling spray really. Not entirely automatic though!

dandysmom
22-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh - feliway diffuser is one aspect of cats pheronomes and felifriend is another, you spray it on your hands and its like you are best friends with the cat. Sort of two different smells. You are an automatic safe bet......... it is a handling spray really. Not entirely automatic though!

Thanks; I suspected it was another pheromone. Wish I'd heard of that when I was trying to befriend a very wary little stray...might have speeded things up!

calismum
22-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Great news - keep going, you'll get there.

Leesy
23-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Thats great news that things are improving for you and Koko, so pleased for you.:D

smokytopaz
24-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Todays update on Koko!

This morning I got up and took in her brekky and sat down with my cuppa. She rushed about like a maniac up and down the stairs, fought valiently with her mice -y toys swung upside down off the edge of the chair and generally behaved like a kitten.

When she had blown off most of her steam, about two hours later, I sat down with a coffee and a cat treat which she eventually came onto my knee to get. Wow!!

Then she lay down at my feet for a little snooze.

So we are a two steps further day.

:-D

smudgley
24-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Brilliant, slowly does it and you will get there in the end. :D

smokytopaz
24-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I did not try to stroke or touch her tho. That will come.:D

Elaine
24-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats excellent progress, I am really pleased for you:D
Softly softly, catchy monkey;)

random
24-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Well done, glad to hear she is coming round, you may find she is just a very timid character but she will become better in time, Kiara my Siamese took a while to come and sit on my knee for a cuddle but now I can't shift her! :mrgreen:

Very best of luck. x

smokytopaz
24-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I know this is wierd, but I don't think she is timid.

The biggest problem is handling her. I can't decide if she wasn't handled enough when younger, or handled too roughly. She reacts like I have burned her if I touch her.

Time will get us there.

Siamese have long memories and can hold a grudge forever. Forcing her is just not going to work.

Vocally she has shut up. Now was that a first heat or not?:smt017

dandysmom
24-02-2009, 10:26 PM
She's come a long way from when you first got her. Don't know about the heat, just had one before my girl had her op; guess time will tell......

Leesy
25-02-2009, 12:35 AM
That is great news that things are progressing for you and Koko, bet in a few weeks time all this will just be a distant memory and you two will be the best of freinds (forever);)

Bronte-sis
25-02-2009, 01:53 AM
sounds like everything is going fine, have you tried catnip wrapped up and held in your hand, sorry if someone has already suggested it, mine go crazy for the stuff and rub themselves all over my hands, keep your hand still then she will be doing it herself.

smokytopaz
25-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Oh I never thought of that! Off to the pet shop! Again.

angieh
25-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Definitely making progress. Well done - great patience pays in the end.

dandysmom
25-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I hope Koko isn't one of the non-responders to catnip!

smokytopaz
25-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I didn't go to the pet shop today, but she loves her little 'circus' mice, especially when new. She has has two lots because the first lot got ragged or hidden. They are cat nip scented/flavoured.

She curled up on a chair today and went to sleep. So? you ask. Up until today when she was sleepy she crept off into a dark hidden corner. Today she was sleeping in full view (of me). :o Another step. So eventually without frightening her she will just come to me and be stroked.

I hope.

I will try the cat nip trick though. :) Why not?

Bronte-sis
25-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I agree, nothing ventured nothing gained, let me know what happens.