PDA

View Full Version : Tucker learns to open the bathroom door

random
20-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Thought you might like this as I just posted on Angie's 'cat dreams' thread about Tuckers latest stunt I thought you might like to hear the full story.

First you need to know that the bathroom here is right directly at the top of the staircase and the stairs/hall/landing is cat territory really. Now at the top of the stairs adjacent to the bathroom door and conveniently level with the door handle is a window which looks out to the side of the house.

Now last fortnight I went away for the day to see a pal in Glasgow and I had my sister over animal sitting for the day for a bit of pocket money. I asked her not to let the cats in the living room that day so they just had the stairs/hall/landing and my bedroom and apparently this was not enough for Tucker. :roll:

I have a plant in the bathroom in a big pot so the cats are not allowed in there as they walk in the pot and make composty footprints all over the bath and sink e.t.c. :evil: They also get things out of the bin and drink out of the loo so no, they are barred and I told my sister to make sure and keep the door closed. Fine.

When I get home the cats had so obviously been in the bathroom so the next day I asked my sister and she said they must be opening the door as she had cleaned up the mess 3 times and shut the door only to find it open again. Now 16 year old babysitter makes a mistake I thought, yeah yeah ok Rebecca, opening the door? Of course they did...

The next day I was sat on the loo, as you do :oops: and I hear on the handle a tapping, and then again, and then the door pushes open! :shock: Tucker is sat on the windowsill tapping at the door handle, pushes it with his head and peeps round the door! Then of course the whole bunch run in like a jackpot has been scored!

I have had to resort to locking it from the outside which is a pain in the arris having to open it every time you need to go to the bathroom but my dad is going to swich the handle at some point (men :roll:) so you have to lift up to open rather than pull down as he has done on the kitchen/living room handle so the dogs can't open it! (To be fair though I did purposely teach the dogs it, why I don't know now, seemed a good trick at the time!) :shock:

So I had to eat my hat and apologise to my sister, she was right! :shock: :-D

angieh
20-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Tucker alias Artful Dodger! It's not usual to take a camera into the loo with you, but before you get your dad to change the handle, it would be wonderful if you could get a photo of the cleverness of Tucker!!!

Moli
21-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Cats are very clever Random, especially if they want in somewhere, clever boy..
My previous Siamese used to swing on the door handles and let himself in rooms..

random
21-02-2009, 12:58 AM
I will see what I can do! Would be good to catch it on video though, I may have to go and lie in wait like David Attenborough. Watch this space! :lol:

dandysmom
21-02-2009, 03:18 AM
That Tucker is one smart boy! We have some rather brilliant cats here: Darcy opening cupboards, Leia opening biscuit tins....

Do try to get a pic of that!!