PDA

View Full Version : My Kitten is ready to go outside but will we ever be ready!

Cool Cat Emma
20-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Hello All!

Alfie my 14 week old kitten is desperate to explore the outside world. Opening the door without him escaping is quite tricky these days. The vet has said he can go outside now that he has had all of his vacinations even though he is yet to be castrated. As we both work he is alone until we get home but we think he spends most of this time sleeping so when we come home an excited Alfie wants to play, play again, then some more until bedtime. He does know when it's bedtime and does settle down. He will sleep for a few hours on the end of our bed then he wakes and starts fidgiting and we know from that point we have to shut him out of the bedroom till morning.

I know that when he starts going out he will be less demanding, seeing as he will be able to entertain himself outside during the day but I am worried about his safety. Until we order and install the chip activated cat flap at the end of the month he will have to stay in anyway. I will feel better then that he can come and go as he pleases when we are at work.

Now will he be old enough at 15/16 weeks to go out (really)? How do cats become street wise so young! We live on a road that is relatively quite but there are still (nasty :( ) cars. Also should I really wait till he has been castrated!? The Cats Protection League website is quite strict about not letting cats out until they have been 'done':roll: . Perhaps I should be a responsible parent too, as I don't want my hormonal kitten to go wandering off looking for mates :cat21 as I have heard that he is old enough for that too... is that right!?

I love Alfie dearly but his hyper activity does make us tired :? and I look forward to him going outside for his entertainment too. I know he will calm down once he grows up a little... but naturally I'm worried :cry: for his safety as I sometimes think he is too friendly for his own good and not phased by much really! I have had cats before and my parents have their cat Lucy but you get so attached and protective and makes it so much harder to let them be the idependant creatures thay are!

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many Thanks x

Emma & Alfie :cat13

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 09:06 PM
You could only let him out under supervision for a bit- you might have to wait until the evenings are a bit lighter. Don't feed him as he will be easier to get in if he is hungry. It is a good idea to get him used to a noise that means food- we have treats in a box which can get our lot home pdq when shaken!

We didn't leave ours out on their own until they had several weeks of supervised outdoor time and we knew where they tended to go. After that we let them out unsupervised but whilst we were home and after they had been done they got free run during the day although all are firmly inside once they have had the evening meal.

I warn you though- the first time they slip through a fence or jump a wall is terrifying and your heart sinks when you can't see them.....!

smudgley
20-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Our kitten is 5 months old now. Personally I believe in letting them out at a very young age, but supervised. We started introducing Lilly to our garden when she was tiny, and have built on that, gradually having her out with us when we were out there, to the point now where she is allowed out alone but only when we are at home & we keep our eyes on her... she has popped off a couple of times as there's lots for her to mooch around at, without getting into too much mischief. But when we call her she always comes back & we always feed her straight away. We will start letting her out more once she is spayed, but she won't be allowed out whilst we are at work for some time yet.

dinahsmum
21-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I would keep him in til he's been neutered, and even then don't give him unfettered access to outside for a good while, until he knows that your home is his only home, and that he mustn't go off round the corner where things are much more interesting and there are people he can talk to all day!
I understand your dilemma - I was much much more cautious with my current boys than with ay previous cats. I think that's because they have assumed 'fur baby' status, whereas before I had humans who came higher in the pecking order to worry about.