PDA

View Full Version : Times to scruff a cat!

farthing
20-02-2009, 08:28 PM
We had an interesting morning at the vets today, a client's cat escaped outside the surgery. The owner came in a panic and announced he'd escaped. He had run across the busy road and was in some of the gardens, obviously, he didn't know the area. Her cat box had fallen apart as she carried him in.
Anyway we ran across the road and he was totally freaked out, every time she go a hold of him he would wriggle out of her grasp, she wasn't very confident, and take off again. Finally she caught him and managed to hold him until I got there. I told her I'd scruff him, and did so. Thankfully he settled and I managed to get him into the vet's without too must distress to him or damage to me. It was a situation, in which I felt, for the safety of the cat I had to be strong. The owner understood, but I'm interested as to how you would have felt!

Elaine
20-02-2009, 08:33 PM
I personally would have done the same and would feel releived if some one did that for me and any of my cats.
It's definately a situation where you have to react and as you say be strong for the best out come.

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Wel done- I would have been very grateful had it been one of mine! Done properly, which I'm sure you did, it doesn't hurt them and they just have to relax as though Mum had picked them up. It is a good job you were there and confident with handling.

smokytopaz
20-02-2009, 08:57 PM
OK this is essential knowledge for me, scruff a cat? How? Pick them up as mama cat does, surely they get to heavy for this?

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 09:09 PM
OK this is essential knowledge for me, scruff a cat? How? Pick them up as mama cat does, surely they get to heavy for this?

If you pick them up by the scruff in the right way they just go floppy- it doesn't hurt although they do seem to remember the indignity for a long time........

smokytopaz
20-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh lor, sorry to be pedantic, what is the 'right' way?

farthing
20-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't mean I carried the cat across the road by just the scruff. I held his scruff while supporting his body, I held on to his scruff to control him and prevent him from taking off again.

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh lor, sorry to be pedantic, what is the 'right' way?

Er, hard to describe but my vet showed me so perhaps ask for a demo? There is a lot of loose skin at the back of the neck and you pick them up by it and they sort of flop. As Farthing said tho' you don't do it for long and support their weight. She can probably describe it much better than I can! I wonder if there is a video somewhere?

angieh
20-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Here's (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cat_Scruff.jpg) a picture. You would support the cat's weight with your other hand under their hindquarters.

I'd be happy to be helped in this way farthing and I'm sure the poor puss would too - hate to think what might have happened otherwise.

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Farthing, I'd be delighted if that had been my cat! The right person at the right time. I've never had to scruff a cat but would do so in a situation like that. Well done you!

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Here's (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cat_Scruff.jpg) a picture. You would support the cat's weight with your other hand under their hindquarters.

I'd be happy to be helped in this way farthing and I'm sure the poor puss would too - hate to think what might have happened otherwise.

Honestly, you can find anything on the Net, can't you! Who would have thought .....:shock:

angieh
20-02-2009, 10:23 PM
One of the reasons that I do love the net Eileen! Just Googled Images "scruffing a cat"!!!

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 10:32 PM
One of the reasons that I do love the net Eileen! Just Googled Images "scruffing a cat"!!!

:oops: should have thought of that- thanks!

smokytopaz
20-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Goodness, no wonder they are a little ruffled afterwards!

random
20-02-2009, 10:52 PM
It doesn't hurt them at all, all mine are used to it as if needs be you should know how to properly restrain any pet you have, no use trying to hold a wriggly, squirmy, frightened kitty like a baby is it?

Being scruffed and supported:

http://www.petalert.com.au/faid/images/fa001.JPG

random
20-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Farthing, good job you were there to help! It sounds the owner wasn't sure what best to do and probably in a fluster/panic too. I'm sure they were so grateful for your help!

Moli
20-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Althoiugh not a fan of scruffing a cat, there are times when its needed...I would have done exactly the same as you Farthing...

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 11:01 PM
A friend scruffed Sultan for me once to get him to take a pill! Raised his forequarters from the ground, opened his mouth and popped in the pill...voila! The unpillable was pilled!

pinklizzy
20-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I try not to scruff cats but sometimes it is necessary-like when you have a feral cat doing a 'wall of death' around the consulting room after the idiot vet student opened the basket :shock: :roll:
I think the main things are to grasp enough of the scruff otherwise the cat may struggle free and to always support the rest of the body.

farthing
20-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Wheew, I'm glad most of you seem happy with how I dealt with it. You have to be so careful nowadays. I do always ask people if they mind if I scruff their cat, and it is usually at the vets request. Unfortunately, many people can't handle their animal, which does in fact causes more stress to it than strong, confident, controlled handling.
Anyway, he had a bitten leg and she went off home with a new basket, and, thankfully he went home safely with her.
I can't imagine what people thought as I ran from one garden to the next, trying to stop him going on to the road again, in a skirt. :shock:

Moli
20-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Wheew, I'm glad most of you seem happy with how I dealt with it. You have to be so careful nowadays. I do always ask people if they mind if I scruff their cat, and it is usually at the vets request. Unfortunately, many people can't handle their animal, which does in fact causes more stress to it than strong, confident, controlled handling.
Anyway, he had a bitten leg and she went off home with a new basket, and, thankfully he went home safely with her.
I can't imagine what people thought as I ran from one garden to the next, trying to stop him going on to the road again, in a skirt. :shock:
Its just a well you were there, goodness know where he would have ended up...:?
The same thing happened to me, Leo's box came udone in the vets car park, luckily he just sat on the ground looking a bit dazed!;)

pinklizzy
20-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Just as a side note but it never ceases to amaze me the baskets some people use to bring their cats into the practice :shock: The number of times I've been told to 'watch the bottom, a lot of the catches are broken' or had to untie various bits of string and twine used to hold them together. Thankfully we haven't had any escapees although some have tried to make a break for freedom, I'm sure it'll happen one day.
Why can't people replace their baskets?!
Sorry, I'll stop ranting!;) And well done Farthing for catching the poor cat.

angieh
20-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Sorry, farthing - I guess it was you in the skirt and not the cat!!!!

smudgley
20-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I too think it was the ONLY safe way to hold a cat in that situation.

When I go to collect cats, if they are outside I will often scruff them as I gently pop them in my basket, it's not cruel & it's for 2 reasons ;1) for my safety - so I don't get scratched or bitten & I'm in control of the situation & 2) so that poor scared puss can't wriggle out of my arms & do a runner. I see people cringe sometimes as I do it, but I don't care, these are often Moms nursing newborn babies & I can't afford for them to bolt.

Then obviously once they are in a safe area in my pen, we usually get along fine & I don't then need to scruff them again, but in certain environments/situations it's in the best interests of all concerned.

farthing
20-02-2009, 11:22 PM
angieh, it was me in the skirt, the cat was a boy!:lol:

pinklizzy, I know what you mean, we still get people coming in carrying their cat/ rabbit/ guinea pig in their arms, never thinking there will also be dogs in the waiting room. I couldn't be that careless with my animals safety.

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Just as a side note but it never ceases to amaze me the baskets some people use to bring their cats into the practice :shock: The number of times I've been told to 'watch the bottom, a lot of the catches are broken' or had to untie various bits of string and twine used to hold them together. Thankfully we haven't had any escapees although some have tried to make a break for freedom, I'm sure it'll happen one day.
Why can't people replace their baskets?!
Sorry, I'll stop ranting!;) And well done Farthing for catching the poor cat.

That takes me back PL! When I got my first cat as an adult, I didn't have a proper carrier, so took him on his first vet visit in an old wicker picnic hamper. He was OK going, but coming back he was getting angrier and angrier at being confined, starting ripping the wicker and by the time we got home he had torn a hole large enough for his head to emerge! I went to the pet store that weekend and promptly bought a proper carrier! :-D

smudgley
20-02-2009, 11:25 PM
talking about stupid people with useless carriers.... that reminds me to get one of our traps back off a local vet who borrowed it months ago to try & trap an escapee client :roll: Must write that on my to-do list

smokytopaz
20-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Having read this and inwardly digested it I think that may be how I get Koko to the Vet.

I have a proper wire basket.

He/she will have to take her unwillingness into consideration.

Can you tell I am stressing about getting her spayed?

random
20-02-2009, 11:50 PM
My vets have always commented on my shuttle like contraption of a cat carrier...

http://www.dabners.co.uk/cdview/dabners_images/40_Pet_cargo_Cabrio%5B1%5D.jpg

It's super, opens at the top for easy cat stuffing! :mrgreen:

http://www.hagen.com/img/cats/addinfo/petcargo_cabrio/pet_cargo_cabrio_multi.jpg

Never seen anyone at our vet bring a cat or small animal in their arms mind! :shock:

Kim
20-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm sure she would rather you did this to her cat than risk it get knocked over.

angieh
20-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Coo that's posh random! My poor Merlin has a decently robust carrier but it's PINK which does nothing for his street cred!

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Love your space age carrier, Random!!

Mags
20-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Great carrier Random...:D

Moli
21-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Thats fantastic Random, can I ask where you got it??

random
21-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Thats fantastic Random, can I ask where you got it??
I got it years ago from pet supermarket I think it was and I would highly recommend it, I believe it's suitable for flying too (not that we fly with the cats but just shows how robust it is!), but a quick google brings this up as the cheapest place online, I think I paid about £30 for mine.

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?CatId=538&ParentId=527&ProdId=1770

calismum
21-02-2009, 09:24 PM
farthing, I think anyone would have been grateful that you probably saved the cat further harm. Cannot believe anyone would complain,but that's the world we live in nowadays I suyppose.

random - Love the carrier - thinking of replacing mine as it is abit worse for wear/ That one is absolutely on the short list!

mattde
22-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Nice capture :-) I feel better about the metal cage I purchased to carry my two in, don't think that would fall apart on the way back to the car. Only bad point is I have to constantly workout out at the gym just to be able to lift the cage with my two beasts in it.