PDA

View Full Version : Girls went in for Op today

mattde
20-02-2009, 10:41 AM
They had no food from 19:00 last night, gave them both some fish from the chippy as the last meal of the day.
Kept us up all bloody night being naughty.

Took them to vets this morning at 8:30

Costing £150 for 2 x spay 2 x chipping 2 x lamp shade collars.

They wanted to get us to have two blood tests as well for another £80 :(
Didn't go for that option.

Lets hope the little girls are ok :-)
House isnt the same without Marmalade trying to lick my finger while typing and Myrtle running in and out chirping.

Matt

Mags
20-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Good luck to the girls, I'm sure they'll be fine, Matt......maybe just feeling a little bit sorry for themselves in their lampshades..:)

It's surprising what a difference 24 hours will make to them by tomorrow...

yola
20-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm sure they will bounce back really quickly from their op. All mine have breezed through it without a worry. It's strange when the house is cat-free . . . because however much of an annoyance they can be it's much nicer when they're around :D

dinahsmum
20-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Ahhh, poor little chicks.
It's all in a good cause though.
We know you'll feel better when they're home

Leesy
20-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Wishing your wee little girls good luck;) , don`t worry it won`t be long before they are causing mischeif again LOL:D

smudgley
20-02-2009, 02:44 PM
i'm sure they will be fine. doesn't stop you worrying. My kitten will be going soon.... you do worry about them. :(

angieh
20-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Hope all goes well Matt and that they will soon be back licking your fingers and chirruping!

Please let us know how things go.

mattde
20-02-2009, 03:56 PM
All went well.
Girls will be back at 5:30 :-)

smudgley
20-02-2009, 04:20 PM
All went well.
Girls will be back at 5:30 :-)

Glad to hear it Matt. :cool:

dinahsmum
20-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Good!
You can exhale now

Mags
20-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Good news! :D

yola
20-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Result! That's good to hear :D

Hopefully they won't sulk and turn their backs on you for too long as obviously you're the reason their lovely fur was shaved for some silly old op ;)

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Good news! The house does feel so empty when they're not there .....

mattde
20-02-2009, 07:31 PM
All home now, Vets gave them some Royal canin chicken and rice sensitive pouches for tonight's meal. They both seem fine, bouncing round the house and jumping off tables as per usual. Both had a midline spay so not much hair gone.

:-)

Mags
20-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Are they wearing their lampshades Matt? :)

angieh
20-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Good to hear they are both OK Matt. Lovely girls.

Tink
20-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Good to hear that all went well and they are bouncing around like nothing happened..hooray! :-)
What do they think of the lamp shade collars?

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Glad to hear that they are back fit and well and not too sulky with you!

Elaine
20-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Glad it all went well xxx

random
20-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Bless, glad they are ok. x

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Hope they aren't too distressed by the lampshades!

mattde
20-02-2009, 09:34 PM
They didnt fit the lampshades, I'm trying to put them on now. Its like a krypton factor task. Do they need to have collars to stop them pulling off the lampshades?

Wish the vet had put them on for me.

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Do they really need them? Are they worrying at the stitches?
If you do persevere I can recommend some good, very thick, gardening gloves......

mattde
20-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Their having the odd lick around the scar, maybe I'm just over cautious. We have had the lampshades on both of them, they just run away with it on and then pull it off.

angieh
20-02-2009, 10:04 PM
They shouldn't be loose enough to pull off Matt. I'll just find a photo of Merlin with one on to post.

angieh
20-02-2009, 10:10 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Merlin/019.jpg

The loops on the collar were threaded with gauze and tied - do you have anything to do that with? The vet put adhesive plaster over the edge next to Merlin's neck to stop it rubbing. He had to wear it for 10 days. Unless you intend to remove the collars when the girls eat, you will have to wash around inside the collar to keep it clean. Sorry if this is unnecessary information.

mattde
20-02-2009, 10:14 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Merlin/019.jpg

The loops on the collar were threaded with gauze and tied - do you have anything to do that with? The vet put adhesive plaster over the edge next to Merlin's neck to stop it rubbing. He had to wear it for 10 days. Unless you intend to remove the collars when the girls eat, you will have to wash around inside the collar to keep it clean. Sorry if this is unnecessary information.

Thanks Angieh , thats all good info. Might have to see what I can find round the house to use as gauze.

Might just have to wake up every couple of hours throughout the night to make sure they haven't opened them selfs up.

Mags
20-02-2009, 10:27 PM
You may find this link (http://www.ehow.com/how_2143910_use-elizabethan-collar-lampshade-pet.html) helpful Matt.....:cool:

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Misty never got a lampshade when she was spayed; neither did Leia. Two different vets. Neither ever worried at their stitches. Dandy got one when he had a neck irritation but had it off within half an hour of getting back from the vet! My one and only experience with a lampshade.

Good luck!

Tina
21-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Glad to hear the girls' ops went well! Good luck with the lampshades, hope you manage to sort them out! Never did the lampshade thing with Miw, used an old lycra t-shirt to make her a halter dress that covered her tummy and looped over her back legs so she couldn't get it off. Actually worked really well and was designed so she could still do her "litter box business" without hindrance.......but looked about as hilarious as the lampshades LOL!

The girls may not pay too much attention to the stitches beyond licking anyway. Miw didn't seem bothered with hers until just before they were due to come out (that's when they started to itch I think) and Mousie paid no attention to hers at all when she had her biopsies.

dinahsmum
21-02-2009, 02:25 PM
The lampshade thing is new to me too - my lady cats just came home with their stitches, and to the best of my memory, didn't worry at them.
I hope all is well at your house Matt. It'll soon be over and that's that - a lttle rite of passage into adulthood that they'll never have to face again.

Leesy
21-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Glad everything went OK at the vets, thats great news.
Hope you get the lampshades sorted out.;)

random
21-02-2009, 08:01 PM
All mine were done on the flank, the dogs are done mid-line but never had lampshades.

mattde
21-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey thanks for the thoughts , all seems good now.
No more licking, left the lampshades off. We had both of them done on the midline. Only very small scar.
We have to go back next friday for a checkup , so hopefully it will be all clear by then. Hasn't seemed to faze them at all. :D

dandysmom
21-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds good, Matt! Nice to have it over and done with.

mattde
24-02-2009, 08:06 AM
I had to take Myrtle back to the vets yesterday :-( .
The area near her scar had gone very red and looked bruised. Called the vet and they got me to come in yesterday afternoon. Turns out she had a hernia .
She had to go into an operation within a few hours to get it sorted. Vets said she had two hernias , caused by her being too energetic after her first operation. Well we collected her last night at 20:00 and took her home.
She stayed in her big cage for the rest of the night till about 2:00 when I let her into the hall way without anything for her to jump off and do more damage. She's back in her cage this morning "forced rest time" till later today.

Keep ya fingers crossed that this is all sorted now.

Leesy
24-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Ohhhhh I am so sorry that you had to take Myrtle back to the vets yesterday, bet you were worried sick while she was in there again:( , at least you spotted it early and took her in straight away and it has now been sorted out. Bet she dosen`t like being forced to have rest time does she,bet she thinks she has been naughty:( .
I must admit that is my main concern about when Maisy gets spayed as she is sooooo active all the time :roll: .
Any way so glad that she is alright now:D

mattde
24-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I was shocked when the vet said it was a hernia :shock: . least it sorted now.

We have this

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/bilder/sloping/dog/transport/kennel/1/300/93069_ruby_transportkennel_schraeg_1.jpg

Myrtles going to stay in it most of today. she doesn't seem that fussed. she's sleeping mainly, tho when marm walk past showing off she tries to catch her tail through the bars.

janey83
24-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Only just seen this thread. Glad the ops went ok and hope myrtle gets better soon.

When Leo had his bits done... As soon as he came home that was it, running around and jumping on everything! He went for his checkup 4 days after and they said everything is ok.

Give her a cuddle n a kiss from me.

dandysmom
24-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Myrtle needed a return visit, what an unpleasant development; you must have been so upset! Glad she's getting her needed rest now, give her a gentle cuddle from me, please...and a chin tickle to Marm!

calismum
24-02-2009, 07:36 PM
That's a shame, glad she seems to be sorted now. It always amazes me how active they are after ops. Hope Marm doesn't tease her too much and that they are both back to usual soon.

mattde
25-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Seems this issue with Myrtle and the hernia happens quite a bit in cats. Done some research on it.

Todays update

She's recovering with sleep and food, doesn't seem to be effected much, shes not 100% tho.
The bruising seems to have gone down in one patch, the other patch is still red.
I'm waiting for a call back from the vet to see when they want me to bring her in next. Also be nice to know how long the bruising should take to go down so I can keep track of her progress.

Matt

angieh
25-02-2009, 03:58 PM
How worrying for you Matt - sorry only just catching up with this development. Poor little Myrtle, what a shame - good you spotted it so quickly. Hope you see an improvement with the bruising and the inflammation. Did the vet give her any anti-b's? It's excellent that you have the cage to confine her so that she doesn't do herself any more mischief.

Please give her a little nose rub from me.

meep
25-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Matt, for some reason I missed this thread entirely. Just catching up now. I do hope Myrtle's ok, poor girl. I'm sure with rest and care she'll be back to normal soon, fingers crossed for you and her.

Natalie
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Poor Myrtle. Glad all is ok now but such a worrying and expensive time for you.

mattde
03-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah all seems OK now :) , Myrtle is back to her normal self. Thanks for the support girls :-)
Had someone round today measuring up for the cat cage I want building on the side of the house. Cant wait to get that done. :-) the girls can then play out every day.

angieh
03-03-2009, 09:00 PM
How is Myrtle coming on Matt?

angieh
03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Glad to hear that - sorry our posts crossed.

mattde
03-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah all is good, vet said they are both doing well. scar healing well. Shouldn't be too long till hair grows back. :-)

Leesy
04-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Glad the girls are back to normal, that is sooooo good to hear.:D