PDA

View Full Version : Cat dreams

angieh
20-02-2009, 12:03 AM
I dreamed of cats last night. There was a very thin totally black one, a very big tabby and a long haired cream with a brown face - maybe it was a ragdoll.

It was one of those very clear pictorial dreams, there seemed to be no narrative, but I can still see those cats.

Does anyone else dream of cats?

pinklizzy
20-02-2009, 12:09 AM
What a nice dream Angie!
I usually only dream of cats in a work context which isn't half as nice :?

Leesy
20-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I wouldn`t say that I really dream about cats that I don`t know but I do dream about my own cats, sounds like it was a nice dream though:D

Elaine
20-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Funnily enough, I dreamt about cats last night too but cannt quite remember it now.

smudgley
20-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I dream every night that a little white tortie is biting my feet, then it's gently rubbing my face & nipping my nose..... then I dream that a long haired blue one is scratching the blind to go out at 5am, and I get up and let it out, then I dream that a dark tortie is scratching the blind to go out and I dream I let that one out too... then I dream the white tortie one is playing racing up and down the hall outside our bedroom chasing anything that makes a noise!................................AND THEN...............I wake up and realsie I wasn't dreaming at all.... it's just my naughty little family of furries.:-D

angieh
20-02-2009, 02:49 PM
That made me chuckle Smudgley - thanks! Sorry you have such disturbed nights though - my dream cats were very peaceful.

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I tend not to remember dreams, just odd bits and snatches; normally there are just people in mine. I don't think I've ever had a cat dream; odd as I'm such a cat person ......

Elaine
20-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I dream every night that a little white tortie is biting my feet, then it's gently rubbing my face & nipping my nose..... then I dream that a long haired blue one is scratching the blind to go out at 5am, and I get up and let it out, then I dream that a dark tortie is scratching the blind to go out and I dream I let that one out too... then I dream the white tortie one is playing racing up and down the hall outside our bedroom chasing anything that makes a noise!................................AND THEN...............I wake up and realsie I wasn't dreaming at all.... it's just my naughty little family of furries.:-D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

smudgley
20-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Pumnin has a mad hour at 11.30 / midnight, & again early morning, racing up and down & being very noisy. The other night John said "What the bl**dy hell is she doing now" so I got up and had a look... do you know what she was doing? Playing with a cotton bud! - "Fairly inoffensive" I hear you cry, but not just playing with a cotton bud.... scraping her collar all up and down the laminate floored hallway making her tags and bell scrape the floor, hence the noise.... so I took it off her & knowing that she would steal it off my bedside cabinet (I'm clever ;) ) I popped it in my top drawer of the bedside cabinet.... but the pumpnin is always one step ahead, because she eased the drawer open and eventually got her little paw in & grabs the collar & weh-hey, she was off again scraping it up the hallway, this time dragging it in her mouth :evil: Naughty girl.

angieh
20-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Having an elderly cat, I had forgotten completely how annoying the little darlings can be at night. Have to say that because mine always had cat flap, Smudge tended to stay out at night and I don't remember Merlin ever being noisy at night. The worst he does (still does) is perch on my hip or lie on my legs. When he was a lot heavier I sometimes used to wake up and wonder why I couldn't move!

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I had a really odd dream staying in an hotel once. A cat jumped on my bed- which as you can imagine happens a lot at home - but I wasn't at home! After lying awake for a bit convinced that I was being haunted by the hotel cat I realised that whenever a particular door shut downstairs one corner of the bed 'dipped' which to me felt like a cat jumping onto the bed...... :oops:

angieh
20-02-2009, 10:21 PM
What a strange thing to happen cats' staff!

When I was a girl I was staying overnight with some friends - and sleeping in one of my friend's bed. Their cat jumped through the window onto the bed in the middle of the night. I yelled, the poor cat was scared and my friends laughed and laughed. Never forget that poor cat - he was a real beauty - long haired grey called Napoleon!

cats' staff
20-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't know why I was scared- if I'm going to be haunted a ghost cat would be fine! It was odd though. It was a very old building which moved a lot and only a cat owner would have made the, wrong, connection.

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 10:44 PM
One of my friends swore that her late cat came back once; she felt it jump on the bed on the usual place; when she turned on the bedroom lamp no one was there....and she was in her own house and bed! She always said he'd come to say goodbye.

random
20-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I had a really odd dream staying in an hotel once. A cat jumped on my bed- which as you can imagine happens a lot at home - but I wasn't at home! After lying awake for a bit convinced that I was being haunted by the hotel cat I realised that whenever a particular door shut downstairs one corner of the bed 'dipped' which to me felt like a cat jumping onto the bed...... :oops:

One of my friends swore that her late cat came back once; she felt it jump on the bed on the usual place; when she turned on the bedroom lamp no one was there....and she was in her own house and bed! She always said he'd come to say goodbye.

I would swear blue that when I lost my Nipper she jumped on my bed and started walking all over me as they do :roll: and this happened on more than one occasion and there was never any cats in the room as my dad didn't like them in the bedrooms and I was staying at his at the time I lost her. I even looked about the room for a cat, that is how certain I was there was a cat on bed but all cats were asleep downstairs in the 'cat room' behind 2 closed doors, there was noway.

Smudgely mine love cotton buds for some reason and raid the bathroom bin for them since Tucker learned to open the bloomin' door.

angieh
20-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I am sure there are ghost cats around this house. The lady who lived here before us bred Persians. The man said that over the years they had had several deaths and that all the cats are buried under the laurel hedge in the front garden. He asked whether we wanted him to move them!!! Of course we said no - please don't disturb them. But over the years the times I have caught movements out of the corner of my eye etc. It has never worried me because Merlin and Smudge pay no attention.

I did see a ghost cat too when visiting a house in Margate. I had been in the front room which was large and had a big bay window and I started talking to the cat that I saw sitting on the windowsill. The lady who owned the house heard me and came in and told me there was no cat there - and there wasn't. She had also seen it and so had her daughter.

Are ghostly sightings just waking dreams?

dandysmom
21-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Who knows, Angie? "There are more things in heaven and earth" .......

I swear I saw Su-ling once in the evening walking thru the hall toward the kitchen...blinked incredulously and he was gone.....?????

random
21-02-2009, 01:41 AM
I think there is more going on in the world than the human brain or body can even begin to comprehend, it's like trying to teach a goldfish Shakespeare, there is just noway we could even begin to understand, hence why no-one can prove where we even came from and that in itself will boggle the mind of any. Because you can't have just nothing can you? There has to be something, atoms or molecules or whatever....but who made those? And even if somehow you could get complete nothingness, how the hell did the first 'something' arrive in that nothingness? Who made it? How did it get there? How did it arise from total nothingness?

See, human brain too crappy to understand! :mrgreen:

cats' staff
21-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm afraid that I am a total non believer in actual ghosts. I worked as an archaeologist for some years and have excavated so many skeletons I'm sure I would have been haunted by now. I do think that sometimes our memories are so strong that we re-run scenes that we would love to see again without realising it.

dandysmom
21-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm afraid that I am a total non believer in actual ghosts. I worked as an archaeologist for some years and have excavated so many skeletons I'm sure I would have been haunted by now. I do think that sometimes our memories are so strong that we re-run scenes that we would love to see again without realising it.

Oh wow, fascinating; that's a big interest of mine! I take Archaeology magazine. Where did you dig?

angieh
21-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I sort of think that if ghosts exist (and I think they do) they don't necessarily get seen where their bodies were buried, but in the place that, for whatever reason, "attracted" them the most when they were alive.

Which is an odd thing to think really. I saw a ghost on a bicycle cycling up the main road in the pouring rain near a hospital. I was a child in a car with my dad, who was driving. I yelled out to him to mind the person on the bike!!!

dandysmom
21-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm inclined to agree, Angie. Both Virginia's bed-jumping ghost cat and my Su-ling were buried in their gardens, and their homes were the important parts of their lives, so natural that they would appear there. That's eerie about the biker! Wonder if he were kiled in a RTA there??

angieh
22-02-2009, 12:06 AM
That's what I suppose Eileen, though I never proved it.

dandysmom
22-02-2009, 12:51 AM
No way to know, but it does make you wonder. Have you ever taken any of those tests to determine if you have any psi abilities? I have, and..... don't...:(

angieh
22-02-2009, 09:33 PM
No I haven't taken any tests! When I was at college as a teenager we had an open day and my mum came along. We were running a test in the Biology Dept to see if anyone could pick up shapes/colours telepathically - my mum scored 10 out of 10 - but we could never get such good scores when the test was repeated! How she did it the first time beats me. Just good guessing??? Who knows!

Phoenix
22-02-2009, 09:50 PM
When we first lost Beauty I was forever seeing her around the house, in the garden and at the end of the bed where she used to sleep.

I do believe in ghosts, I've not seen any but I have sensed one before, in our old house (I think it was a relative, I just remember feeling someone stroking my hair when no one was in the room)

dandysmom
22-02-2009, 09:55 PM
The deceased former owner of Virginia's house had been a cigar smoker....and for years, she'd suddenly get a whiff of cigar smoke in the house....:smt017

cats' staff
22-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Oh wow, fascinating; that's a big interest of mine! I take Archaeology magazine. Where did you dig?

I dug in the UK, Italy and Hungary. Met my husband on a dig in Yorkshire and ended up in a field in North Norfolk three days after we got married- in December! It was an 'emergency' dig because a metal detector had found Iron Age Torcs. My husband still earns his living digging but I moved into education and outreach. I miss digging but don't miss digging in the UK in the winter! I think archaeologists tend to be sceptics about the supernatural or digging could be quite difficult.

dandysmom
22-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I dug in the UK, Italy and Hungary. Met my husband on a dig in Yorkshire and ended up in a field in North Norfolk three days after we got married- in December! It was an 'emergency' dig because a metal detector had found Iron Age Torcs. My husband still earns his living digging but I moved into education and outreach. I miss digging but don't miss digging in the UK in the winter! I think archaeologists tend to be sceptics about the supernatural or digging could be quite difficult.

How fascinating! Thanks for sharing that; did you rescue the torcs? It must be an incredible feeling holding something like that from our past.

Re skepticism...maybe there's a sort of statute of limitations, so to speak about hauntings ...the energy or whatever dissapates with time? The so called King Tut's Curse wasn't true.....

In my younger days I wanted to be an archaeologist .....

meep
23-02-2009, 12:24 PM
What a very interesting post! Dreams, ghosts and archaelogy. I always have vivide dreams and believe they do 'mean' something. I do believe in ghosts, especially that they will return to an area that means something to them, although I believe they can also travel to the person even if they have never been where the person is. After my Grandad passed away I was lying in bed one evening and had a sudden 'sense' of him, suddenly had lots of memories of him and I could smell very strongly whisky and tobacco (he smoked rolly-ups and loved a glass or two of Grouse ;) ) He had never been to my flat in Glasgow but he had come to say goodbye.

I sadly never saw the ghost of my first childhood cat although would have loved to. I like to think he's still playing in our old walled garden even though we no longer live there.

What a lovely dream you had Angie, I love dreams that leave you feeling peaceful and content when you wake up:)

Bronte-sis
23-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I often dream of my cats Jodie (disappeared) and Smudge (rehomed, now living in Manchester) they come to visit me for a while, in my dreams I try to follow Jodie to find out where she is but always loose her.

angieh
23-02-2009, 04:30 PM
That is very strange about the ghostly scent of tobacco and whisky ..... olfactory ghosts???

I am sorry to hear about Jodi, Bronte-sis - must be heart-rending to follow her in your dreams and lose her again.

Kazz
23-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Had a horrible dream last year....I dreamt Cleo was in the car with me....no idea why (although she would get in the car is allowed she loved it...always in the car when I as cleaning it or it was open on the drive) but thats dreams for you and she either jumped out or I let her out and she was chasing something....it did not seem to bother me but then whatever she was chasing turned round and chased her and then it caught her!!!!!!!!!!!! it woke me up...really really scary.

But generally no I don't dream about cats, but like Eileen I don't recall my dreams very often.

Yours sounds a lovely dream Angie.

cats' staff
23-02-2009, 08:56 PM
How fascinating! Thanks for sharing that; did you rescue the torcs? It must be an incredible feeling holding something like that from our past.

Re skepticism...maybe there's a sort of statute of limitations, so to speak about hauntings ...the energy or whatever dissapates with time? The so called King Tut's Curse wasn't true.....

In my younger days I wanted to be an archaeologist .....

We found a few torcs (about 70 I think). My husband used to be a photographer for the British Museum which is why he was called there and was only given a long weekend to get married! We didn't really mind as it was a once in a lifetime chance.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_prb/g/snettisham_hoard_gold_torc.aspx

dandysmom
23-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for that link, very interesting. You do wonder why they were all buried together line that........

angieh
23-02-2009, 09:31 PM
That's amazing cats' staff. Thanks for posting that link - very interesting. Yes, wonder why they were all buried together - can only presume that the village was under attack and the torcs were buried to save them from being stolen. Who knows????

angieh
23-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry about your scary dream Kazz - that does sound horrid, especially if it woke you up.

cats' staff
23-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for that link, very interesting. You do wonder why they were all buried together line that........

There are as many theories about that as archaeologists that dug them! Possibly as Angie said it may have been for safekeeping. Sorry to hijack a feline thread! PM me if you want to chat more about archaeology

angieh
24-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Perhaps we ought to have an archaeology thread?!

dandysmom
24-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I'd like that!

cats' staff
24-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Perhaps we ought to have an archaeology thread?!
Could do- are non feline threads OK or shall we start one on cat archaeology?

dandysmom
25-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Well, we could have an angle with mummified cats in Egypt .........

Bronte-sis
25-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I am sorry to hear about Jodi, Bronte-sis - must be heart-rending to follow her in your dreams and lose her again.

It is, I wake up feeling frustrated and sad, I miss her and will always wonder what happened, she is not the first cat I've had that has gone missing but the only one I dream about, so I find it strange and hope she is alive and well somewhere.

dandysmom
25-02-2009, 03:31 AM
I agree, Bronte-sis, it's the not knowing that hurts. The big ginger boy I grew up with ( 17 years! old) many, many years ago never came home one day and I still wonder. And my little stray I was caring for, Onyx, just vanished and has never been seen since..:(