PDA

View Full Version : Birds singing at night?

yola
17-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I was nearly asleep last night - it must have been about 11pm, and all of a sudden there was this big burst of bird song outside the window. It was very melodic - maybe a blackbird and didn't really sound like it was alarmed or startled; just having a bit of a tweet!!

Is that normal? Can birds sing at night? It went on for about 15 minutes!

dinahsmum
17-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Blackbird singing in the dead of night!?
Yes, they do, with streeet lights etc and particularly this time of year - there is a lot of pairing up and love-rival rebutting going on.

I am always saddened to remember that the songs aren't "Oh what a beautiful morning" or "Come with me and be my love" but are "I'm here; this is my tree - the rest of you can ****off". Ah, nature. Sometimes it's not as pretty as we like to think.:roll:

dandysmom
17-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Our mockingbirds here are famous for singing at night, especially a moonlit one. They can sing for hours. beautiful songs. Had to laugh at DM's description: so true!!

janey83
17-02-2009, 07:06 PM
They were tweeting at 5am this morning, they wouldnt shut up!

DM I now have Blackbird singing in the dead of night song stuck in my head!

angieh
17-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Yup, I have the same earworm!

mattde
17-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Crazy advertisings at the bottom of this page , a link to website selling birds nest that you eat. http://www.naturalnest.com/

dandysmom
17-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Yuk! I've heard of birds nest soup, know it's ridiculously expensive, and on the list of things I'd never try!