PDA

View Full Version : Fur Time!

dandysmom
16-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Spring will eventually come and the birds will soon be be nesting. If you save your cat's fur to put out for them to line their nests, this is time to start saving it. I already have a nice big ball of Leia's; she's a shorthair but as a big cat she has a lot of fur. It looks a bit silly draped on the bushes, but the birds love it.

angieh
16-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Yes, that's a good tip Eileen. I could do it with my OH's beard too - I hesitate to call it "old man's beard!!!

MrsH
16-02-2009, 09:05 PM
My cats don't give up much fur but I have started saving the puppy fluff that I'm brushing out and it's going into a mesh bag to hang in the garden. I hope the birds will use it.

dandysmom
16-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes, that's a good tip Eileen. I could do it with my OH's beard too - I hesitate to call it "old man's beard!!!

Someone here, think it was Alex, mentioned putting out your own hair combings also, so I did last year.....and the birds ignored it!! :shock: :-D Leia's went like hotcakes, but not people hair...I felt quite snubbed! :roll:

calismum
16-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I usually put out the brushings from both dogs and cats. The birds soon collect it up.

My uncle who has 3 big newfoundlands save it up and hangs it all over his shrubs - looks so funny!!

HappyKatz
16-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I never heard of that idea before! We love helping out the beautiful birdies :)
That is one thing we have is lots of fur! :cat27 Well now I am going to try that!

dandysmom
16-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I never heard of that idea before! We love helping out the beautiful birdies :)
That is one thing we have is lots of fur! :cat27 Well now I am going to try that!

Good for you, HK! :D That's why I repeat this every year; it's such a simple thing that had never occurred to me before I read it; the birds do love that nice soft fur. I admit I've had some funny looks from passersby when I was out draping fur over the bushes, but I don't care! :-D

Moli
16-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I have started putting out out for the birds, luckily my big boys moult like crazy!!

random
16-02-2009, 11:59 PM
We always have lots here too! I put it in a nut feeder!

Leesy
17-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Have put fur out for about 5 yrs now the Blue tits in our garden love it and nest here every year:D , they are lovely to see.