PDA

View Full Version : Im so sad... My fish is dying

janey83
15-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Ive been cryin my heart out since 10 am this morning.:cry:

I came home from work this morning and my 11 year old goldfish is struggling to swim, I change some of the water to see if she improved but she's just on her side now arched... Its so hard coz Ive had her since I was 14, Ive grown up with her, dont like to see her like she is as I helpless to her.:(

She's dying the same way my other goldfish died a year and a half ago!

I cant really do anythin to help her along, Ive looked on the Internet and some ways people are saying kill her, there's no way I can do it.

I know people think she's only a fish, but they have feelings aswell (crying again, arghhh!) and she's been with me for a long time.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

pinklizzy
15-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry Janey :( Not sure what to suggest for you.

Lx

calismum
15-02-2009, 08:36 PM
So sorry, it is frustrating as you can't do anything for them.

Would be nice if you could give them a hug or something.

(hugs)

dandysmom
15-02-2009, 09:03 PM
So sorry to hear this, Janey. Sounds as if her years have caught up with her......

angieh
15-02-2009, 09:21 PM
(((HUG))) so sorry about the fish.

Moli
15-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your fish Janey, I know how you feel, I lost one a few months back I had, had for years......

Leesy
15-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Soooooooooo sorry to hear about your fish:cry: , it is so sad and you just feel so helpless as there is nothing like you said really that you can do to help them along.:cry:

mattde
16-02-2009, 09:38 AM
If you can try and get it to eat something , get a couple frozen peas , defrost them and chuck them in halved.

yola
16-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Jane, sorry you're loosing your fish. I don't know much about goldfish but 11 years must be quite an age for her.

dinahsmum
16-02-2009, 03:13 PM
What a shame; you must have been a very good fish-keeper to have the fish all that time.

dandysmom
16-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Any news, Janey? Has she gone? So sorry (((hugs)))

janey83
17-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah she's gone, Ive buried her in the garden next to her sister. Its a nice area and when the sun shines on it its even nicer. Might try and get a pick if the sun ever comes out.

mattde
17-02-2009, 04:49 PM
:-( it was a good age tho, our record is an 9 year old gold fish thats still going strong, living in the pond after moving from his indoor tank.

dandysmom
17-02-2009, 05:00 PM
You have a pond? Cool! Do you think Myrt and Marm will take to fishing? Some cats are quite good fishers .......

janey83
17-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Cool Matt, bet it loves the pond, loads more room.

mattde
17-02-2009, 08:16 PM
You have a pond? Cool! Do you think Myrt and Marm will take to fishing? Some cats are quite good fishers .......

Ponds in my mums garden so the cats wont have a chance to go fishing.
My dog Boris the springer spaniel love the pond tho, its hard to keep him out of it. He also lives with my mum.

Cool Matt, bet it loves the pond, loads more room.

Yeah seem to be doing well, only moved to the pond last year. If anything goldfish do better in ponds, grow faster and breed, tho i suppose they can get muched my the local cat taking a vist to your pond.

Goldfish are probably one of the worst fish a fish shop owner can recommend to keep in a fish tank. The myth that a goldfish grows to the size of its tank is rubbish.

I used to be a very keen fish keeper till my cats took over and the girlfriend wouldn't let me have a big tank in the house.
:cry:

My poor mum has two of my tanks now :D

dandysmom
17-02-2009, 09:08 PM
People have caught quite enormous goldfish here in the Potomac River from time to time! I'm surprised they survive the Winter, but they are of the carp family and the carp do very well here.

jan
17-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I imagine I am a bit late in trying to help here but a drop of brandy in the water might revive her/him - I hope in the meantime your poor fish has recovered okay. I lost two loved fish, one goldfish, one japanese fantail years ago now, but I had them from 7 until 17, they died when the flat roof of the garage where we lived at the time, collapsed in and we think the lime poisoned them. I was really upset. I know they can live to a very good age. jan x

jan
17-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Ooops , so sorry - not quite got the hang of this site yet - forgot to look at page 2 - very sorry about your poor fish - and sorry for a useless late reply! Jan x

dandysmom
17-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Not useless, Jan; might help another fish owner in the future. I don't have fish now, but did, You do get very fond of them.

janey83
18-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Goldfish are probably one of the worst fish a fish shop owner can recommend to keep in a fish tank. The myth that a goldfish grows to the size of its tank is rubbish.

I totaly agree with that, It annoys me when I here a shop assistant in the pet shop saying, you can have as many fish as you want in a tank coz they only grow to the size of it!!! Im like NO you cant!

When I first got my fish, I had no idea about size of tanks etc and didnt have a computer in 97 so couldnt look anythin up.
So got a small tank witch the shop assistance said thats a fine size (totaly not, the size was only resonable for a Betta fish, or so they say they only need a small tank! )...

Anyway, they had a good sized tank after that and got an even bigger one a few years ago which they loved, its empty now and gonna put it in the garage till I want to get some more fish.