PDA

View Full Version : SO very excited!

Tink
14-02-2009, 12:54 AM
As some of you know, my OH told me for Valentine's Day/Our Anniversary he is going to buy me a ferret kit (will be our third addition). Three is the perfect number for a ferret "business" because they get incredibly bonded to each other and if there are only two and one should pass to the bridge, the surviving one goes into depression that often leads to death. There is a theory that if there are three, the remaining two would be able to lean on each other for companionship thus increasing chances of survival in case such an incident should happen. And many ferret owners agree, there isn't much difference between owning two and three (just a bit more of poop to clean up). So I've been planning this for awhile.

Originally, I was planning to go to the pet store and pick one out..BUT there is a private breeder around here that I've met in person before, seen her kits in person (big, beautiful babies), and also have reccomendations for...I just never got around to getting one from her after I adopted Monkey from the shelter.

I called her up out of curiosity and she has two available six month old females, one champagne/cinnamon cross and one sable point. They are going to be spayed this week and have their vaccination boosters and are already ADV tested.

To explain why this is exciting, most ferrets that come from mills are alterered at eight weeks old. This often leads to adrenal disease which is very common in U.S. ferrets and tends to happen after 3 years old. Most "ferrents" know this and still decide to give these little ones a home and plan to take care of this condition when arises as it is very uncommon for a mill ferret not to develop these problems later in life. It's just something to accept and save money for because it's a commonality. So, for me to get a ferret that is private bred and altered right before her first heat, increases chances of longer life and quality of life. It is quite uncommon in this area to find a breeder that will do this for you.

I haven't met the kits in person though I plan to do so VERY soon. I am however thinking I'll lean toward the champagne/cinnamon color mix.

I'll either meet the little girl late tonight or this weekend (my OH hasn't called me back yet to confirm which time will work for him so I'm just waiting to find out).
If all goes well upon the meeting, I will put a deposit down on her and pick her up when she is ready next week after she has healed from her spay!

I think a six month old would be a good age as Baby Bear is exactly one and a half and Monkey will be three next month. It's good to spread ages apart by at least one year so the common ferret health problems in theory don't happen around the same time.

I kind of think it'll be neat and interesting that I'll have one pet store ferret (Baby Bear), one shelter ferret (Monkey), and one from a private breeder (to be determined...).

I am so darn excited I could fly out of the ceiling right now!!!! I keep calling OH's work to see when I get to meet her (today, tomorrow, or Sunday)!!!!!
OMG...!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-D :-D :-D

dandysmom
14-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Wonderful news Tink. sounds great! Please do keep us updated on this!

Tink
14-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Update: I'm meeting the girls tonight at 9PM!!!!:-D

Will take camera along to take pictures of who I reserve and put the deposit down on:D

Tink
14-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm back!!!
I went ahead and put a deposit down on "Honey Bunny" (will change her name), the cinnamon/champagne cross girl. She will be spayed on Monday and come home with me Thursday night!
She's six months old and just a BIG bundle of love. I think she's the same size as Monkey but fatter!!! :lol: The picture does not do her coat justice...it's so long and lush..oh, and I almost forgot-I didn't know till we were there talking to the breeder but she's part angora too! Under the light you see these red and cinnamon hairs on top of a beautiful white, lush coat..it's just gorgeous!
When I picked her up, she kissed me on the mouth for about five minutes..what a love! Didn't even struggle to get out of my arms once and buried her head in my armpit...such a doll.
Okay, okay..here's the one good pic I got of her!!!
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/newbie.jpg

Leesy
14-02-2009, 09:24 AM
She is gorgeous Tink, and sounds so adorable and freindly, its sounds like it was luvvvvvvv:smt049 :smt049 :smt049 at first site ;)

Mags
14-02-2009, 10:13 AM
How lovely Tink, she's gorgeous and I can 'feel' your happiness oozing through the screen! :D

Tink
14-02-2009, 10:22 AM
How lovely Tink, she's gorgeous and I can 'feel' your happiness oozing through the screen! :D
Is it that obvious?:-D :-D :-D
I'm so excited it's nearly 1:30 AM and i can't sleep!!!:D

alexgirl73
14-02-2009, 10:41 AM
she's adorable Tink! your excitement just jumps off the screen lol.

angieh
14-02-2009, 01:04 PM
She is a very beautiful girl - and looks so well. Your enthusiasm is wonderful Tink - look forward to seeing more of her, and finding out what you decide to name her, when she comes home to you next week. Hope your boys take to her.

dinahsmum
14-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Now that is a very nice Valentine's gift.

dandysmom
14-02-2009, 05:07 PM
She's lovely! Can't wait till Thursday when she comes home to you!

Tink
16-02-2009, 09:08 AM
She's lovely! Can't wait till Thursday when she comes home to you!

I can't wait either...I am DYING over here!

Name ideas I'm pondering:

-Cookie
-Lainey
-Zoey
-Winnie

Can you tell I've been thinking about her?:lol: ;)
I'm sitting over here like a crazy person saying these names out loud to the picture I have, seeing if they fit or roll off my tongue right...LOL!!!

yola
16-02-2009, 10:49 AM
LOL Tink!!! What a super valentine's gift. I think the little one is SO cute, I bet you can't wait until Thursday :D

Lainey's a sweet name. Don't know why it just kind of suits her :D

Tink
17-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Calling breeder this afternoon to see how her spay went and setup exact pickup time on Thursday
Not too long now!!:D
Pulled hospital/quarantine cage out of the garage yesterday and set it up in the spare room. It's nice in there because it's dark, peaceful, and quiet and I want to make sure she has every chance to heal properly. Don't want to stress or bother her with the boys yet until she's properly ready to play again because I'm sure that's the first thing the boys will want to do.
Can't wait to bond with her and hold her in my arms:smt007 . Thinking about how soft and fluffy she was when I last held her...*sighs*
Gonna clean that cage today and setup Baby Bear and Monkey's old/spare bedding.
Just doing things to busy myself in preparation..the anticipation's killing me, LOL!!:D

dandysmom
17-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Hang in there, Thursday's coming! Abut how long will she have to be secluded until she's able to meet the boys?

Tink
17-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Hang in there, Thursday's coming! Abut how long will she have to be secluded until she's able to meet the boys?

Well, from what I understand, they should be fine and healing should be well on the way at about 5 days after surgery. So, the earliest I'm going to introduce her to the boys would be this Monday, the 23rd.
Thursday night after I get her I will probably just take some pictures with her when we get home and then put her on cage rest for the night. Then Friday afternoon I will let her explore the ferret room on her own with me. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I can let her have short supervised bouts of play/exploration and will need to watch that she's not licking at or pulling her stitches.
I'm also going to take this time for her to bond with me first individually without the boys and give her lots of treat and soup to let her know that I am Mommy now.
Also, it'll give me time to switch her off of her old food (that I picked up at the store) and wean her onto the food we feed at this house. Hopefully she'll be eating what the boys eat by Monday..will have to see how well she takes to the switch, otherwise I will just offer her mix in a seperate bowl in the cage and hope the boys don't get accustomed to her old food too much and keep from picking at it.
I hope she loves me as much as I already love her and I am just preparing for a great welcome home to let her know this is a safe, happy, loving place.:D

dandysmom
17-02-2009, 08:43 PM
That little girl is so lucky she found you...what a lovely home she's going to have!

random
17-02-2009, 10:19 PM
She is wonderful, what a lovely gift, can't wait to see/hear more about her!

Tink
18-02-2009, 09:38 PM
ONE MORE DAY LEFT!!!!:shock: :-D
Narrowed it down to two names now...Lainey or Winnie;)

dandysmom
18-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Lainey rings a bell with me; Winnie makes me think of the PM or the Pooh!

Leesy
19-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Yes I like Lainey as well, sounds very sweet;) .

Mags
19-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Today's the day, Tink! :lol:

Hope she settles in well and you have loads of enjoyment with her! :D

angieh
19-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Big Day Has Arrived!

dandysmom
19-02-2009, 05:09 PM
It's only 8 am in Washington State now; have to wait a bit yet for news!!

Mags
19-02-2009, 06:38 PM
It's only 7 am in Washington State now; have to wait a bit yet for news!!
Oh!.... the suspense!! :-D

Tink
19-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Well, some good news and bad news.:roll:

Bad news is the veterinarian doing her spay was very busy the last couple days and the breeder was not able to have her fit in to be spayed yet.:(
Good news, she is bringing her in today to the vet. If they can fit her surgery in today, then I will pick her up tonight at 9PM. If however the vet is too busy to do her surgery today then they will leave her there over night and she will be spayed first thing tomorrow morning and then I can pick her up 9PM tomorrow night.
I will call back in about five or six hours to see what the status is.
I have her hospital cage all set up and really would like to have her home for a nice, peaceful road to healing. I've got everything setup to be the most stress free environment possible. And of course I will be babying and doting over her as much as possible.
Please send good vibes my baby does well in surgery.
<3,
Tink

angieh
19-02-2009, 09:33 PM
An understandable reason for the delay Tink, sad nevertheless. Good strong healing vibes in advance for your new friend from Merlin and me.

dandysmom
19-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Bushels of good vibes on the way from Leia and me. Hope she can come home tonight .......

Tink
20-02-2009, 03:24 AM
Well, the vet had some emergencies come in today so the spay is going to be done tomorrow first thing in the morning (she's spending the night at the vets tonight..poor baby).
We have an appointment to pick her up at 9PM tomorrow set in stone..so I will have my baby then.
I guess good things come to those who wait.

dandysmom
20-02-2009, 03:29 AM
Oh dear! Well, she can't be more wanted and loved; sure all will go well and she'll finally be home tomorrow night. (((hugs)))

Tink
20-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks ((hugs)).
You're right. She's already very wanted and loved.
I really was looking forward to this but oh well, what's another day..in just 24 hours I will be leaving the house to make the hour trip there;)

Tink
20-02-2009, 08:04 PM
tonight is the night:shock: :-D