PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a dog to cats

MBll
12-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Helloo alll............I havni been here for a while

Got a wee question for you

This question is for those that have cats & then took on a dog.

Im considering rehoming an elderly dog shes 12 her mum is not fit now to care for her & relatives have her just now but shes never been on her own till now & cant cope as shes left for about 7 hours & has injured herself several times trying to get out. She has lived with a cat.

Now the question is for those that have a cat/s that hasnt lived with a dog then a dog was introduced did it turn out ok after awhile or a disaster?

Dogs that have lived with a cat/s in their home is no the same with other cats ?

Mags
12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm not a dog owner myself but maybe you'd like to read through this previous thread on the subject .....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=16899&highlight=Introducing+a+dog+to+cats

I sure some cat and dog owners will be able to give you more info soon...

farthing
13-02-2009, 12:23 AM
We took on a dog, who had killed a cat in its previous home. she was 11 and her owner had died.
Luckily our cats were used to dogs, but we kept her on a lead in the house when she had access to the cats, and if she made a move toward them we held the lead and said 'NO' in a loud voice.
Eventually she settled with them, and although she was never keen when they rubbed against her, she never made a move towards them.
I would probably do the same in the other situation- ie cats not used to dogs. I would keep the dog on a lead but I would tell the cat off if it was behaving aggressively towards the dog.